Midibox & DOUT = per-channel level meters?

Khron

I've done some googling, but i haven't found anything on this particular topic.I was wondering whether it was possible to employ some DOUT boards to drive some LED strings which would act as level meters.

Thing is, a couple years ago i grabbed a dead Behringer DDX3216 from eBay, with the intention of scavenging the motorfaders, encoders etc. for a DIY Midibox-based DAW control surface.

Fortunately, the schematics for the whole unit were quite easy to find, and i started thinking that maybe the whole top of the unit could be repurposed. The motorfaders and LED strings for each channel are on the same PCB, so i figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to "recycle" the whole thing, with minimal labor (desoldering, new PCBs etc).

Edited by Khron

I thought / hoped it would be feasible :) The service manual can be found here:

https://elektrotanya.com/behringer_ddx-3216_sch.pdf/download.html

It's been a while since i've looked at the schematics, but i might not even need any DOUT (or DIO) modules. That is, assuming i can "mold" the data stream into the necessary format.

The channel level meters are on pages 24-26, driven through a bunch of 74HC595's. The interesting part is, the directions of the LEDs are alternating, so hopefully flipping every 2nd bit shouldn't be too complicated.