MBSID V2 CS (step B 1/2)?

ChinMuzik

Hi,  After stuffing 8 8580's in a Mb-6582, I've decided to build a stereo mbsid V2 for a pair of 6581's laying around,  with a CS inspired by the MB-6582. (Well,  essentially the same exact surface sans  the mod matrix). 

Am I wrong to assume that the correct (or easiest way) of achieving this would be to just edit the mb-6582_setup.asm file and reassign the pins to the corresponding parameters? 

And the 2nd part,  I've scraped the forum religiously trying to find any and every bit of info on how to wire the LED's to the corresponding buttons when building a CS.  For example,  aren't tactile switches momentary? If so how does the led latch when selected? (like when selecting the waveform,  for example) 

7 hours ago, latigid on said:

The MB-6582 uses a BLM (button LED matrix), I'd suggest another one of the setups (8580?) and assign the buttons/LEDs according to a DIN/DOUT chain.

LEDs are controlled by DOUT, not by switches...

OK I think I understand now.  So if,  for example,  Osc waveform is assigned to a button DINX4 J3/D7...that DINX4 has to be chained to the DOUTX4 module with the corresponding LED pin? The firmware handles the rest? 

DIN and DOUT actually run in parallel (according to their function) but share the same serial clock. For a wired build, you daisy chain blocks of DINX4 and DOUTX4; the newer smashTV ones should allow any order of these, but IMO it's best to split them into two distinct chains of DINX4 and DOUTX4. You count the number of shift registers of each type and define that in the setup file. Now each digital input or output (switch or LED) has a given "address" according to its position in the chain and which pin of the IC is connected. It should be okay to assign each function arbitrarily, so there's no requirement to match a DIN with a DOUT pin.

• Like 1

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_cs/mbsid_v2_dout_default.pdf

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_cs/mbsid_v2_din_default.pdf

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_manual_fp.html

lots of info on uCapps. Wiring is a big task, and it's easy to make mistakes. But if you're motivated to put the time in, you'll get a cool MIDIbox in the end :)

• Like 1

Strip board if you align it properly will save you a lot of wiring as you can set all your grounds on one of the strips. That way you do not have to run two wires to each light or switch. You will spend time cutting the traces with a razor knife though to lay out your circuit.  The DO and DI boards have separate grounds. I would keep them separate to keep the noise down and to make trouble shooting easier.

• Like 1