MB-6582 fan: blowing or sucking?

jaytee

• 2 weeks later...
On February 27, 2017 at 7:00 PM, Magus517707 said:

If you decide to go with the fan and you hear buzzing in your audio you may need to build an LC filter.

Link to post regarding fan noise on power rail

I had actually seen that link while researching my MB-6582 build. I was all prepared to build one of those filters, but then.....zero noise from the fan. I can hear no difference in my monitors between plugged and unplugged. So that's lucky.

If anyone is looking for a good fan for their MB-6582 build, I can personally recommend this one on Amazon. It's 5V only (although there is a 12V version), and requires very minor modification (it's a 3-wire fan, and the included hookup cable is way too long and stiff to look neat in the MB-6582 case; just snip the sensing wire and install a new connector at the end), but it adds no audible noise on the outputs, and physically speaking, is pretty whisper quiet too.

It's not the prettiest (kind of an ugly beige with a visible logo, definitely not the clear plastic and LED bling that I've seen on other MB6582s) and it's not the cheapest, but on a practical level, it seems to work well. I'll update here if I discover any problems or if it fails suddenly.

Also FWIW, I drilled some ventilation holes in my PT-10 case and installed the fan so that it's blowing all the hot air out of the case.

Not that i think its important enough an issue to disagree with any real care, but ill mention my take - 

I dont know about fans, but i do know a tiny bit about centrifugal pumps.  Theyre not the same at all, but similar... kind of... i guess... : )

Efficiency with them is reduced a lot when the vacuum side is restricted.  The output can be restricted far more with less efficiency cost, but strangle the input, and there's issues.  They push well, but pull badly.

If this were true for fans, then it would be better to push air in then to pull air out.  But computers contradict this with their power supplies (that normally pump air out of the machine) but not with their CPU fans, which, IIRC, normally push air over the heat sink fins.

Considering the fan probably isnt needed too badly, i think ive wasted 3 mins of my life typing the above anyhow! : )

Hmm, something to think on. As you mention, the fan is probably not critical enough to worry about to begin with (especially as my MB-6582 is all 8580/6582), but I'll try to be aware of the thermal situation. If I notice the front panel getting warm, I'll flip the fan around and see if it does any good.

Heatsinks are probably a better idea than a fan altogether, I should try to find some that fit my SIDs.

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2017 at 9:16 AM, jaytee said:

I had actually seen that link while researching my MB-6582 build. I was all prepared to build one of those filters, but then.....zero noise from the fan. I can hear no difference in my monitors between plugged and unplugged. So that's lucky.

If anyone is looking for a good fan for their MB-6582 build, I can personally recommend this one on Amazon. It's 5V only (although there is a 12V version), and requires very minor modification (it's a 3-wire fan, and the included hookup cable is way too long and stiff to look neat in the MB-6582 case; just snip the sensing wire and install a new connector at the end), but it adds no audible noise on the outputs, and physically speaking, is pretty whisper quiet too.

It's not the prettiest (kind of an ugly beige with a visible logo, definitely not the clear plastic and LED bling that I've seen on other MB6582s) and it's not the cheapest, but on a practical level, it seems to work well. I'll update here if I discover any problems or if it fails suddenly.

Also FWIW, I drilled some ventilation holes in my PT-10 case and installed the fan so that it's blowing all the hot air out of the case.

Haha, oh man you got a Noctua. That is some legit PC master race gear right there. Honestly though, those are really good fans. I didn't realize they made them that small.

I have mine blowing out with vent holes on the bottom of the case.
I had no noise issues with the Fan - however a LC Filtering Stage will be quite easy to implement if you find yours to be noisy.

I use a standard 12V Fan and run it on 9V.

I also have heatsinked all of my SID Chips with VGA Heatsinks and 3M double sided tape.

Capture.thumb.JPG.d2d3e1a12d4a22824e1c74

Edited by iZZE