Midibox MB6582 Newhaven OLED finally working :D

iZZE

Hey guys..

After hunting for days and days and already giving up.. i got the Newhaven OLED Display to work on my MB-6582 :D

I will shortly write a step by step guide when i have time tomorrow.. Just saying don't give up the hope.

Capture.PNG

Hey, well done! :-)

Am really interested in your findings and what was necessary to get it running!

Does it involve 4bit-mode, mods on the baseboard or modified timing code in the firmware? That's where I was with my last OLED, then it burned on me :-/, then I switched to a VFD :-).

Many greets,
Peter

45 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Hey, well done! :-)

Am really interested in your findings and what was necessary to get it running!

Does it involve 4bit-mode, mods on the baseboard or modified timing code in the firmware? That's where I was with my last OLED, then it burned on me :-/, then I switched to a VFD :-).

Many greets,
Peter

How long did it take before the OLED burned up on you? 

Newhaven OLED NHD-0420DZW-AY5 on MB6582

1.) Connect your Newhaven OLED according to the following Pinout

pinout.thumb.JPG.3026a5d223e05584e8c280b

This is represented on the PCB like this:

core.thumb.jpg.ffe94c69742bb2d82a751f6f1

You will have to solder the 4 small SMD Jumper bridges on the bottom of the PCB

bridges.thumb.jpg.077da59c4b7c5dccff16e7

conection.thumb.JPG.b8ade2ee8ff9ae1696e4

Reassure that you have all the pins right and then proceed to step 2.

2.) Start MIOS Studio and connect your MB6582 to your Midi Interface

Make sure that you have a stable connection - now load the device_id_00_lcd7.hex (supplied by TK from another thread).

Start the upload to the MB6582.

After this upload has been finished select the MB6582 Firmware application again (setup_mb6582.hex) - the attached file is version 2.045pre1

Wait till the upload is finished.

3.) Enjoy your new OLED awesomeness!

OLED.thumb.JPG.16ff845b096c76662fe59512d

oled2.thumb.jpg.40a6ef48035a08fadba5ec67

device_id_00_lcd7.hex

setup_mb6582.hex

• Like 1

Yes i think it has to do with setting the correct device id to activate the already implemented lcd driver. And the documentation about the jumpers is also not a 100% clear, but actually its very easy i was shocked when the OLED displayed something..

On 3/6/2017 at 9:50 PM, ChinMuzik said:

How long did it take before the OLED burned up on you? 

it happened on the same evening/night i tried to get it running, i must have made some silly mistake, it was hanging in free air, might have shorted something... or it was not 5V tolerant :-).

Anyways, good job, iZZE! I hope you get it working, too, Altitude, it has been a while! :-)

Many greetings,
Peter

Congratulations.. glad you got it working :)

Also nice small adapter PCB.. made it yourself ? I see you have an almost empty Base PCB running for testing ?

You have one spare too ? :)

Edited by iZZE

How much thinner are the OLEDs than LCDs? I just spent $25 on my CrystalFontz MB-6582 LCD because it seemed like the nicest looking green-on-black I could find, but obviously these OLEDs are a class above. I never bothered looking into OLEDs since so many folks had had trouble with them, but now.... The only thing that concerns me is how sunken the display would be on an MB-6582 without a kludge of some sort.

2 hours ago, iZZE said:

Also nice small adapter PCB.. made it yourself ? I see you have an almost empty Base PCB running for testing ?

You have one spare too ? :)

Yeah, I shared the brd file for that somewhere, I can repost it here.  Never have to wire up another damn MBHP display..

That is my spare board, I ordered a set to work on this issue in particular but now I dont have to :)  I have a big box of VFDs I need to try with this 8 bit driver

Edited by Altitude

1 hour ago, jaytee said:

How much thinner are the OLEDs than LCDs? I just spent $25 on my CrystalFontz MB-6582 LCD because it seemed like the nicest looking green-on-black I could find, but obviously these OLEDs are a class above. I never bothered looking into OLEDs since so many folks had had trouble with them, but now.... The only thing that concerns me is how sunken the display would be on an MB-6582 without a kludge of some sort.

About a third as thick.

I am not a fan of those buy display parts, they are over priced and the quality is substandard.  Kyocera has brought back some 4x20 parts (black on white/whit on black)

19 hours ago, ChinMuzik said:

Being so recessed does it give viewing issues from certain angles?

No, that's the beauty of the OLED, outstanding viewing angles. The recess thing is what it is, there is no way around it since the OLED pcb would interfere with the tact switches above and below it.  Once I get a dark window on it, it will look just fine.

Edited by Altitude