Possible new case option, without needing Heidenreich group buys

julianf

On 2017-09-15 at 0:57 PM, julianf said:

The nuts on the ends can not be recessed, as they are actually nuts, and not bolts.  Well, they could be recessed, but then the recess would have to be large enough to take a socket to fit over the nut.  Allen fasteners are not possible.

i was thinking of something like 'countersunk barrel nuts',

also known as "sex bolts" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_bolt

though i understand why having somewhat esoteric fasteners (or other essential materials) is kind of a no-no,

they'd look pretty sexy with your configuration if you ask me : )

do your bolts extend through the entire width of your case? or just stickout on the ends?

..//..

my understanding of the SD card is that it is really needed for certain functions,

like saving and archiving songs without a computer handy

Current status on the cases with the curved edges is that - 

Im waiting on some pcbs from modular addict, and then ill check some measurements for the new core, and alter the design a little.  I hope to make the case flatter also (ie a lower back panel, so less tilt)

Ill probably change the bolts too, as evreyone seems to want countersunk ones.

Then ill make some more.  Limiting factor is mainly how long modular addict takes to ship the pcbs.

10 hours ago, julianf said:

Then ill make some more.  Limiting factor is mainly how long modular addict takes to ship the pcbs.

mine shipped 6 hours after order.

today will be 2 weeks still waiting. maybe they show up today...

..since i've got lots of opinions, i'll just mention that i like the more tilted case designs a lot.. i'm really not sure if they're more ergonomic or not.. they just look cooler

My PCBs turned up this morning, so im going to start checking some dimensions, and get these cases sorted.

Obviously the design is not 'final' at the moment, but the delivery cost on the curved sections is so high that it would be sensible for me to get a show of hands as to who would like one of these, at the projected price (GBP 170) with the discussed alterations.  Shipping will be at cost.

The ends on the finished units will probably be oiled oak.  The top and rear panels will be engraved.  Tops will be black text on silver, or, if you would rather, white text on back.  Same for the rear panels.  The curved sections have to be silver.

Rear panel will be cut for the new core, with the expansion port, and the Midi and  Quad-IIc-MIDI boards.

I wont condemn you if you express interest, and dont purchase, but please dont ask at this stage unless you are seriously considering the purchase, as i dont really want to over-order a load of parts.

I would rather a PM than a +1 on the thread here.  Do both if you wish!

Thank you, 
Julian

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok, time to get my act together on this one, and start ordering up parts.

I have recently acquired a load of reclaimed mahogany which i think will make great ends for these too.

I did ask before for PMs from those who were seriously interested, and i think i only got a couple.  Either my request was missed, or... ?

Please include your email address in your request, as i will confirm via email (i find the forum delays message notifications sometimes, whilst email is swifter)

If you are one of the (very) few who have previously messaged, might i ask you to re-confirm and to include your email?

The reason i need to know is that the rails have crazy postage / cutting costs, and i could really do with knowing numbers before ordering, as re-ordering will be a pain.

Hi Guys,

What about using the moog eurorack case with a nice frontplate ?

Moog Eurorack Case 104 HP 17" or Moog Eurorack Case 60 HP 12"

I am thinking to use the Moog Eurorack Case 104 HP 17" and create a panel with some connections on the frontpanel.  Like 8x CV out, gates + clocks.
But the midi I/o, usb and power should be coming out of the back.
The 84HP small one is 99 € and the 104HP is 119 €, I am not entirely sure if its a fit for the seq v4.  But if it fits I would look great with julianf's Panel.

What do you guys think?

Cheers

TIm

11875036_800.jpg

Edited by flyweight
  • Like 1

That certainly looks like it would do the job - good find!

I reckon the back panel would be good for ports, but it would require some work.

I can have a look at the CAD to see if the CS pcb will fit behind a euro panel.  Its obviously fine on 3u, but euro has that bit less height.

I have no attachment to my proposed case - what i said in my initial post is 100% true - it is simply a solution to the lack of heinrich cases - so if there is another option, i would very much support that also.

ps if there is to be I/O on the top panel, then a case longer than 17" (84hp) would be required.

My personal preference would be that the I/O was on the rear, but ill cut whatever anyone wanted of me.

One issue that is not so easy is the card slot.  That is not easy to DIY neatly.  A way around this would be to cut the case roughy, and then fit a nice overlay to the back that covered the rough hand cuts.

I do not have one of the moog cases, nor a functional mbeq, so, whilst i could check the top panel, it would be hard for me to confirm the rear.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...