Design concept - control surface for VST plugins

ChinMuzik

I was browsing Hawkeyes MBProgramma build and was wondering how intensive a project for a similar patch editor would be which would consist of the following.

16 LED ring encoders

8 faders

16 buttons

Each with a dedicated scribble strip which would display the parameters of a synth (which would be saved as a layout in MIOS?)

Maybe even highlight the relative controls, similar to the Kiwi Patch Editor.

Thoughts?

Edited by ChinMuzik

I think it all depends on the time you want to invest. From my experience I can tell that it needs more time as you might plan ;) 

Also it depends on what kind of PCBs you have available. Faders are quite easy to solder even without a PCB. Buttons are more crucial especially if you want to use buttons that are not able to be mounted on the frontpanel directly and need a PCB. 

I think the most time consuming work will be to solder the LED-rings. As far as I know there is no ready-2-go solution at the moment and no PCBs are available for 16 LED rings. Some time ago there was a bulk order for those:
http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=mb-lre8x2cs_pcb

But I think Jerome is not active in the forum anymore.

Anyway: If you have good soldering skills and you are able to solder SMD than I can help you out. I have some SMD-LED-Ring PCBs a while ago. But those are 0603 SMDs you need to solder by hand... and it's 16*16pc = 256 LEDs = 512 pads ;)

What do you mean by scribble strip?

Edited by FantomXR

While not LED rings, I have some 4*4 encoder boards that use WS2812 LEDs. The simplest MIOS implementation fixes the colour (as RGB or hsv (better)) and uses the level/brightness to indicate the CC value from 0-127. 

I have two types available; a simple one with just encoders, and a more complex one that uses the 45 degree displays (as part of MBProgramma v2). For buttons, there's a 4*4 matrix using the same programmable LEDs and Sparkfun button pads. 

Feel free to shoot a PM if you're interested in getting some or you want more info.

Best
Andy

Here are the buttons and encoders

and the 'ELO board:

Sorry for the long-winded explanations. The shine through effect will be much better with clear Waldorf knobs, but I don't have any on hand at the moment.

Most of the discrete SMT is for touch sensors (here they are single metal plates), so if you just want the displays + illuminated encoders, the assembly is very straightforward -- shift register chain and some 2*5 headers.

@Hawkeye and I are slowly getting the "standard" Programma together, but of course these are good to go for other usecases.

Best,
Andy

3 hours ago, latigid on said:

Of course, I asked incessantly if they could add switches, but because of the design that isn't possible. The workaround is to use individual metal touch sensors, which is a bit different but is quite easy to get used to I think. 

I might be alone on this, but I actually prefer the capacitive touch knobs over push encoders

2 hours ago, ChinMuzik said:

I might be alone on this, but I actually prefer the capacitive touch knobs over push encoders

You're not alone! I have both and think the touch sensors are just a bit quicker. Work on the next version of the Programma with Andy will still take some more time, but you might be able to obtain the ELO boards and transparent encoders from him - they are awesome!

Many greets,
Peter