SEQ v4 CS PCB clone

lis0r

Hi all,

First things first: I've got TK's and Wilba's blessing for this.

I have almost all the parts required to build a SEQ v4 except the control surface PCB, which has been out of stock. So I've recreated my own clone from the available schematics and dimensional drawings. I have permission to run a small batch, and sell those surplus to my personal requirements.

Would anybody else be interested in this? Is there anyone with the needed skills who'd be willing to help me verify the board layout before it gets sent for manufacturing, please? I'm pretty sure it's right, but I'd like to make sure it's right first time.

Thanks!

Lisa

• 3 weeks later...

An SVG of my layout is available from http://www.bismuth83.co.uk/~lisa/v4.svg

If this needs converting to PDF to be printable, please let me know.

Because I'm allergic to the bad GUI that is kicad, I built this design using PCB-RND. If anyone has sufficient knowledge to review it electrically, I can send them the source file that will be used to generate gerbers, etc. To protect the midibox IP, I won't be making it publicly available.

Thanks!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I don't know PCB-RND , like you I hate Kicad ... I use Eagle, in it, there 's some electrical check named ERC which check Layout from diagram. This ERC can be fine but first thing to check is your schematic ;)
When that's done and clear, you need to do a DRC which will check production rules match, depends on manufacturer you use to be sure no error will be produced during this last step.

Antichambre

Yeah, I've used the rule checks in Eagle before, but this board is too big for the free version!

It's passed all the tests (automatic and manual) that I have available to me, but due to the nature of the board, it'll cost a non-trivial amount of money to run, so I'm trying to avoid getting it wrong!

If you're sure of your schematic and mechanical constraints, like switches, encs, leds and holes positions, it just remains Design rules. You can share it in eagle? And tell where you want to manufacture it...
Hope during too much time to see another status than "Sold out" for this item and others, that's a shame... I think I will take part of this bulk too. It should be fine as a first test for my OLRE16.

Edited by Antichambre

44 minutes ago, Antichambre said:

Between you and me ;) it's easy to get the full version.

Please, let's not promote this kind of software. The programmers should be rewarded for their work. If you can't or don't want to afford the legitimate version, then go for free software instead. Heck, you even know there is one out there but "hate" it. I don't get it...

1 hour ago, Antichambre said:

I don't say you to do it

Maybe my english is not enough 'subtile'
I'm agree with you, my version is a full one with my own license, same thing for others like  Autocad, one of the more expensive,  AND I'm not a big society I'm freelance then believe me I know the price! And what they win...
Then ok for this first thing, now. For Kicad, we can talk about and put Pros and Cons on a table, it's just my opinion after tried it, and it's not the purpose of the topic, you're not obliged to be agree with me, I understand that you can love it, I "get it". Like me you can just respect my opinion.
I changed my post, for next time in MP please.

@Lisa, I've got this licenced tool if you want to follow the rules.

BR

Edited by Antichambre

L31 is placed rotated 180 from all other leds on the board. It would not keep it from working but it would be good to rotate it for consistency. The SVG also seems to be off scale by about  5% or so. If I set the scale to 100% and print to 11x17 it is small. That may be something on my end I am just printing from chrome. Can not get to my inscape machine right now. I would route the red trace on the inside of the top right mounting hole and give the mounting hole plenty of clearance that way you can use washers if you want when you mount for strain relief. It is ground so not sure it matters it just sticks out to me.   I have not seen anything else yet but will look some more as I have time.

I believe L31 is rotated on the original CS PCB, so I duplicated that to ensure the same instructions could be followed.

i will have a think about the trace - the board is autorouted, and the tool is a bit of a pain to use.

i'll try and find the time to make a PDF, hopefully that will deal with scale better than SVG.

I was comparing to this version: http://midibox.org/forums/topic/10998-mb-seq-v3v4-control-surface-pcb-and-matching-case/?do=findComment&comment=93863 It is rotated on the newer single board version on the wiki. Guess it really does not matter much it is not functional.

Not sure the scale matters unless the board manufacturer will hit you with an additional setup fee if it is off. That is if they check for that. SVG should print accurately though. I might just be my setup. If the scaling error is in the gerber though that would be bad. Does it print scaled properly on your end?

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly my home printer is not really good enough for the task. Hopefully I will find the time to try printing out the layout elsewhere so I can compare it to panels, etc. early next week. Anything anyone can do to help regarding layout review would be much appreciated.

You should be able to print to a custom page. Just get some 11x17 paper and cut it 8.5 wide. set the custom paper as 8.5x17 and you have plenty of space to print it out. I have access to a large format printer and have printed what you have posted so far on 11x17 and it is scalled 10 to 15% smaller than it should be for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...