[SOLVED] Wilba's Frontpanel not responding

btrd72

Hi Folks !

My LCD problem is solved, my E131 sd card problem seems to be solved......No I'm facing a wilba frontpanel problem...

I created the attended directory tree on the SD card:

- file MBSEQ_HW.V4 (Wilba's one) at the root of the SD

- directory SESSIONS and DEFAULT session created via MIOS terminal

Booting the MB lead me to this weird screen:

G1:Unnamed             G2: Unnamed           G3: Unnamed           G4: Unnamed

NoCat 1: A1 _ _ _ _  NoCat 2: A1 _ _ _ _   NoCat 3: A1 _ _ _ _  >>> NoCat 4: A1 _ _ _ _ 

Typing sdcard tells me there is no MBSEQ_BM.V4 at the root.

So I copied the /SESSIONS/DEFAULT MBSEQ_BM.V4 at the root of the sd and I now get this screen:

MIDIbox Seq v4.092               1.1.1                  /SESSIONS/DEFAULT                140.0BPM

Bookmarks              About this MIDIbox<     Open Save SaveAs New Delete        Info

The About this MIDIbox< is slightly flickering on the rightmost of the left LCD display...

Anyway...I'm pretty sure the wiring is correct but I can't get out of this screen, whichever button or encoder I press....

Could this non responsive frontpanel come from a badly tuned MBSEQ_HW.V4 file ?

Which options have to be modified for a "traditional" wilba's frontpanel (with beat led) and no tpd setup....

Cheers,

Tom.

Edited by btrd72

Well then the hw file is fine I presume. Maybe double check the cable between the core and the cs? there is a j1 and a j2 on the cs board but i guess you got that right.  No shorts or bad soldering on the cs?

Just tossing up options for you to check..

Also check the shift register ICs (correct alignment and type), installing wrong or misaligned ICs might cause the behaviour you are experiencing. Please also check your resistor networks, as these are used to pull up the digital ins.

Good luck! Peter

Ok....RN solders seem fine, continuity is fine with the IC pins too....

There is continuity between all ground pins of the RN, but no continuity between RN ground pins and CS board ground....For eg, there s no continuity between C1 "negative pin" (I know C1 is not polarized but this pin is connected to IC 1 ground and thus to CS board ground) and common pin of RN1...

I'd like to know if this Is this normal before soldering a cable to have continuity between RN common pins and CS board ground and potentially ruin my MB even before it has worked !

The 1 000 000 000 $£€ question is: Do all resistor network common pins have to be connected to CS board ground pin ??

Edited by btrd72

If I'm not mistaken, the common pins of the resistor networks are not to ground, but to Vcc (+5V)  they are pull-up resistors for the digital lines.  The schematic of the CS is down here. Don't solder it to ground, you might short & toast your power supply. [Want my paypal account for the 1 000 000 000 $£€?  :lol: ]

The MBSEQ_BM flie holds the bookmarks, I don't think it is critical. Maybe double check the PATTERN button, is there a smal short or something, is the button flakey? Your first weird screen is what you would get when pressing Pattern.

The ones you linked are the correct type, as long as Reichelt delivered the correct ones.

There are two (well three, but dual terminator is not so common I think) types of RN, one where the pins are isolated into individual elements, the other has one common/bussed connection and are used for pull-up/down resistors.

A picture = 1000 words. It can save a lot of time for those helping you troubleshoot to check if your soldering is sloppy, maybe the switches you used can be installed sideways etc. etc.

Problem solved Guys !! Thanks for the troobleshooting !

My RN common pins were missing a 5V feed.....Now everything seems top work (well...I'll dig that in detail from now on but the Frontpanel is responsive )

Thanks again !

The problem was indeed that my RNs were not fed with 5V....

Thanks to all of you for helping me spotting the problem !

Everything seems to work like a charm now...Waiting for my frontpanel to buil the enclosure and send some pictures on the forum !

Cheers dudes !

• 1 year later...