LEDs light up when switching on MIDIbox

FantomXR

Hey people,

everytime I switch on the MIDIbox, all LEDs will light up for a fraction of time. Is there any chance to avoid this behaviour? 

I think it has something to do with the initialization-process. I already tried to put a capacitor (100uF) between VDD and GND, but this didn't change anything...

Thanks,
Chris

The state of outputs on 595 shift registers is undefined on power up. But it's possible to temporarily set the /OE pins (#13) high with an RC delay, meanwhile the Core will have sent a "clear all outputs" signal to the 595s. You could potentially do this with a free MCU pin too. Keep in mind that the /OE pin will be high impedance, which means any transistor bases used as current sinks will be floating = not a good idea. To avoid this, add a pull down resistor of 100k or so to the transistor base.

Edited by latigid on

3 minutes ago, FantomXR said:

Hi!

Thanks for your reply!

I think using a RC delay sounds like the simplest solution. But why should I set this pin to high?

And do you have any idea what kind of values to choose?

thanks,

Chris

Hi,

/OE means output enable, active low (/ or a line on top of the pin name). When it's low, outputs are enabled. When it's high, outputs are tristated/high impedance/open circuit. Notice the DOUT pin 13 is normally connected to 0V/ground. For this to work, you have to charge a capacitor (e.g. 10uF) from +5V to /OE, then provide a resistance to 0V (10k, you choose the delay though). When the power is applied the /OE pin will "see" this as a high logic level, then fall to the low state once the capacitor has charged.

Finally, you add a diode to discharge quickly once the power turns off. Anode side to 0V, cathode side to /OE.

591a26bab74f8_RCdelay.thumb.PNG.307f661b

You can distribute this circuit to many /OE pins; I did the BLM 16x16 in groups of 4.

Best regards,
Andy

• 2 months later...