[SOLVED] MB6582 upgraded firmware, now displays garbage

Johey

Realized I haven't upgraded my MIOS and MB6582 firmware since I built the box. It was still on MIOS 1.9g and MB SID V2.042. In order to fix what was not broken I decided to have a go, just to end up with garbage on the display.

mb6582_display_garbage.thumb.jpg.5f88095

The machine is still responsive and the data on the display is changing in a predictive way. I mean, it is the same each time I boot and it answers in a repeatable way to knob turns and button presses. It feels like it gets the data as before but with a different encoding or something. 

Any advice on how to fix would be most welcome. :)

Edited by Johey

I thought I'd better downgrade, but I am having a hard time finding the old versions of the hex files. After loads of googling I found MIOS 1.9g and MB SID 2.043. That's pretty close to what I had before, but I had MB SID 2.042. With what I have found so far, I am having no success with my display anyway. It still looks just like on the picture above.

Worth mentioning is perhaps the fact that I tried to program a driver for an OLED (device_id_00_lcd7.hex) (have not yet installed the OLED, still using my old LCD), but after that the machine didn't even boot, so that was when I decided to upgrade to the latest and greatest system. Maybe there are some bits and pieces left from that driver in my PIC? Is there any way I can wipe everything in the PIC except for the bootloader to start fresh?

Edit: Starting to think the device_id_00_lcd7.hex is the reason. Apparently it is not a driver as I thought, but a setting. So my questions is simply, how can I set it back to what it was? Is there an antidote hex file floating around?

Edited by Johey

SOLVED!!! :D

So... I realized the problem was that I had configured the display to be 8 bit instead of four, but the motherboard was wired for four bit connection to the display. Hence, the garbage I saw on the screen was only based on half the data. I patched the four SMD jumpers between the PIC and J15, and now it works perfectly.

Sorry TK for bugging you with PM. Please ignore and please forgive. :)