Test Midi i/o module from MIOS studio?

EvilEvilEvil

Connect a pair of in/out to a midi to USB cable and use a virtual expender, or a pair of midi cable to the in/out of a keyboard with built in sound card, or midi in to a master keyboard and midi out to an expender. Or just a master keyboard and the LEDs of the midi ports.

Or with an oscilloscope ?

• 4 weeks later...

Do I need to flash this 2x2 utility before my MIDI_IO boards will work?  Or is this just for testing with MIOS Studio?  I ask because I hooked up my SeqV4 today for the first time, set the port to Out1/Ch1, made a pattern, connected to my MWxt set to omni, and it received no midi messages.  Port IIc1 didn't work either (I have a quad_IIc as well). Output activity LEDs are all glowing.

Currently, my In and Out ports in MIOS Studio say GM5 Port x, not MIDIbox SEQ V4 Port x.

The USB 2x2 utility is for testing or using stand alone in a project, it does not need to be flashed to make the Midi I/O work in a SEQV4 build. If your SEQV4 is not in a case then you should see LED activity on the Midi I/O board when midi information is being transmitted. The IN/Out ports in MIOS Studio should say SEQV4 after flashing the latest SEqV4 firmware.

Thanks Slo.  I just installed the latest firmware the other day, but didn't notice any change.  I suppose I would have needed to reload MIOS Studio to see the changes.  I can say that my Output LEDs are always on (flickering slightly) even when the sequencer is stopped.  

Is it still possible to use the USB port for updates when the "USB power" jumper is pulled and external power is applied to the 5V jumper?

4 minutes ago, Nirokesan said:

Is it still possible to use the USB port for updates when the "USB power" jumper is pulled and external power is applied to the 5V jumper?

Hello

Yes It's the purpose of the jumper, remove it if you use external power.

USB midi or update still work...

Best

Zam

• Like 1

Still stuck here..... have to correct my statement above: when connected to MIOS Studio, my midi out LEDs are only lit when I press play.  

Firmware is updated but MIOS Studio still shows GMx as the only option for In/Out ports.  Pressing play produces the message "fa" in the MIDI In window, and pressing stop produces "fc". Pressing the keyboard at the bottom of MIOS Studio and adjusting the CC sliders shows reports in the MIDI Out window, but nothing happens at the MIDIbox. 

I'm pretty sure I ran midibox.org_gm5driver_X64_1.0.10 when I set up my discovery board.  I'm not sure why I thought that was necessary, and I see now that this driver is  "currently not supported for the MBHP_CORE_STM32F4 module".     Was this a mistake?  Can I undo?  

Edited by Nirokesan

MIDI out LEDs are sending clock messages at a high rate, so they appear on all the time.

Have you switched to the MIDI monitor page on the SEQ? The CCs from MIOS Studio may not be mapped to anything, so you shouldn't expect anything to happen.

It shouldn't matter if the driver says GM5 or not. You might be able to uninstall it and get a fresh update when connecting USB. Also, the USB drivers shouldn't affect the DIN MIDI outs.

Try to set the port after connecting your synth then initialise the track. It should fill 4/16 steps with C3 I think. Maybe you were sending notes out of range?

4 hours ago, latigid on said:

Have you switched to the MIDI monitor page on the SEQ? 

Try to set the port after connecting your synth then initialise the track. It should fill 4/16 steps with C3 I think. Maybe you were sending notes out of range?

Thanks for your reply.  I have not tried the midi monitor page yet. And but your suggested set up method sounds like what I followed, basically the same steps outlined in the beginner's guide.   I added additional steps to the 4\16,  but none more than a few clicks up or down, so I don't think they would have been out of range. I am at work now for the day, so I will not get a chance to reinitialize a track until later

I have good news and bad news....

The good news is that my SeqV4 works perfectly.  The bad news is that I'm an idiot and embarrassed, especially since I've been using MIDI and analog gear for almost 30 years.  The reason my Waldorf did not respond to messages from the MIDIbox is that I was connecting to the SeqV4's MIDI In1, not Out1!  

All the "issues" I had were user errors, and all have been sorted.  

Thanks again to all who commented to help!