Phatline

midi stream to audio stream converter, midi tape (recording midi over audio)

10 posts in this topic

in our band we are playing with the thougt to record our sessions with the zoom livetrack-l12...but this have no midi... up to now we recordet only the master-track without any midi at all

so my question is:

is it possible to convert a midistream to audio? and convert this audio-recording back to midi? so i could use one o the 12 channels for the midi (clock start stop notes and so on)

are there already devices out there? i can remember that 30 years ago such things as midi tape exist... or is it maybe a cheap trick that can be solved with an optocopler an opamp and a few lines of code?

EDIT: its done

Clk2aClk-L12-switch-led.thumb.jpg.bef148

Clk2aClk-L12-rack-inside.thumb.jpg.5df01

Clk2aClk-L12-rack-back.thumb.jpg.636cc35

Clk2aClk-L12-rack-solution.thumb.jpg.5a3

5b08cb32bb579_gehuse-fertig.thumb.jpg.a4clk2a2clk-proto-shematic.thumb.jpg.5002d

VIDEO-Overdubbing a JP8080:

Edited by Phatline

Hello Phat

As a start it's a good idea to test what you say !

Just midi out to audio in (and connection back for playback), maybe with opamp buffer? to scale the 5Vdc, depending of your converter sensitivities, 5Vptp is about 7dBu.

I still record my juno60 preset to DAW audio track across real juno audio when saving a project. It work well.

In that case the data stream seem low speed, you can almost ear all bit transfer, 

also my converters are DC coupled which might help for such recording?

About code you will certainly slower the baud rate to have a definable data over your converter bit rate (44k1?)

(I just check, juno60 is 340baud...baud seem to be one bite)

Best

Zam

na directly recording midi wasnt the way, but first convert it to audio pulses on a DOUT-Pin, and then record it, when playback it go thru a Schmitt Trigger into a DIN-Pin, the strip down mios-functions and code, it is running thight, HURRAAY

i solved it this way:

clock2audio2clock - wiki

Cool thinking and superb you got it working and made a wiki! Recorder seems like a nice one!

Cheers,

Roel

if any admin read this: please move that topic to "user projects"

since it turned out to be one :cheers: thx.

done - best regards! hawkeye

thx :happy: phat

Edited by Phatline

here completely on protoboard (except discovery)

clk2a2clk-proto-connect.thumb.jpg.9b246eclk2a2clk-proto-shematic.thumb.jpg.5002dclk2a2clk-proto-back.thumb.jpg.b9d1370a45b08cb32bb579_gehuse-fertig.thumb.jpg.a4

Edited by Phatline

i made a video with a demo song - to see its practicable use - and some explaination - and talk (englisch)

1 person likes this

Excellent job and good video documentation!
Many greets and have a great weekend!
Peter

Hi Phat,

I am facing a problem with Zoom LiveTrak L-12. Maybe you may help me.

I have bought Zoom LiveTrak L-12 from Thomann online.

I have not used it actively. Just checked if it is working at home a few times and without SD card. It was working.

I bought SD card and I put it in. When I open the unit I saw just empty white light on pad screen on right.. The unit doesn't started up. It stucked like that.

And there was nothing. I pull out SD card and I tried to make the unit on. But it also didn't worked.

I have shocked. Not possible. Because this machine never used or carried somewhere, or dropped, hitted.

Than after a few times I test it to work with SD card and without. But nothing happened.

The unit is not working with or without SD card.

When I plugged and turn on what I see is just this recording Pad digital LED light is white. You may see from the photos.

When I turn of the unit it still shows these lights. No matter on or off. This is also strange.

I am sending photos of the unit situation with this post.

If you have any idea what it can be please help. Unit is not working now.

Thank You

IMG20191113182918.jpg

IMG20191113182932.jpg