Midibox Drum Triggers

drumwide

Hi,

One little possibly stupid question...

what's not good with the original edrum project?

I'm glad you asked that question!

Short answer: nothing.

Long answer: People like to do it's own way. For example, I've  received many emails asking for:

- porting to Atmel processors

- making 32 input channels (!)

- porting to C/Delphi and releasing code for student classes (because of complexity of assembler)

- releasing code to public domain, GPL, etc.

- selling it

- making it compatible with Midibox PCBs

- porting it to MIOS

- don't remember now...

Everybody have his own particular need and point of view... that I respect. But, this is my spare-time project, I don't have that much free time, and simply, I need to focus on one thing... not waste my time testing 18357 different pieces of hardware/software.

Of course I did also received many emails of support (look in galley page) and it is a good sign. Thanks.

So... my idea here is to give some guidelines for trigger processing on MIOS, and help others to code the (different?) application.

Regards,

Admir.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there all, I'm very interested in these velocity-capable-midi triggers. I mounted some basic switches on my box to trigger midi events, so no velocity at all !

The idea is to set up a matrix of 16 MPC-type triggers, If I've understood every thing correctly we make some piezzo based triggers like described for the Admir edrum project (Amazing project by the way  ;)), Using an analog input module, (but wich one, a modified version of admir's, or the regular Mbox AIN module ?) we will be able to send note events with velocity info.

Question : is there any additional hardware to setup between the piezo triggers and a standard AIN module to get this working ? Or is it simple as it looks (except of course the driver programming, I'm a complete nut in this field  :-/). I don't really need a drum roll accuracy since i'll be tapping the pads with my fingers, is there any way to setup simples velocity capable triggers ? Another detail I don't know, in my idea the pads must send "midi on" message when they are hit and a "midi off" message when I release my finger from it, I'm not sure the drum oriented triggers can do that (drum events are one shot midi-on/midi-off I suppose with more or less decay on sounds), but maybe they can ?

Anyway, it will be my next electronic enhancement for the box I made, would be a perfect MPC-dreamed replacement using Ableton Live !

Thanks for infos or ideas !

defred

Hi, defred.

As I have read this thread ;) and hopefully interpret it correctly:

Drumtriggers are interfaced to AIN with special buffer circuit, for accurate peak voltage detection (in other words: velocity)

BUT: Piezos are only sensitive to (speed of) varying pressure, not to pressure itself.. so it isn't possible to detect "note off" or aftertouch with those.

Anyway, 4 by 4 matrix of rubber pads sounds tempting to me!

Bye, Moebius

defred: the note on note off messages are handled in the code.

Question : is there any additional hardware to setup between the piezo triggers and a standard AIN module to get this working ? Or is it simple

yes, there is a modified version of admir's analog frontend(it amplifies and holds the signal long enough for the MB ain to measure it).

moebius: You are correct.

smash tv has offered to host the files for me and I(or he) will post a link here to those files. It will be a few more days before I post them because I want the code to be commented well so it is easy to understand. And I have to draw a schematic for the buffer circuit since I only modified the eagle .brd file. And since school just started back for the spring semester, my time is very limited, but I will hurry!!!!

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to add my support to this project, I had so many ideas for ways to improve the edrum with mbhp.

Imagine having a pot on each drum to tune it?

Individual mutes on every cymbal....side stick on each kit piece...a pot to control snare springs on/off...expression pedal on hi-hat to control a variable level of openness using megatrigg or layering...damn, this will rock!

Guest mustang

An excellent web site that covers drum triggers and electronic drums in general is:

www.electronicdrums.com

It does have a small fee to join, but if you are creating drum triggers it is well worth it!  The site also has some info available as a guest (sample of what is available on the site).  This site concentrates on the drum triggers, not the electronic interface... although there are many discussions about what is available (Alesis DM5, Roland TD-10, etc) and their features.

This site does extensive amount of R&D.  It is well run -- like the midibox site.  I have converted a Pearl Rhythm Traveler kit using the plans & forums on this site.  The site save me a considerable amount of time & money by reading all the trigger conversion methods that have been tried.  The materials need to create the drum triggers are commonly available (foam, 35mm film canesters, coffee can lids, etc).

I think it is great that a diy drum trigger interface is being developed here.  It seems that new electronic drum possibilities are now possible.

• 2 months later...

yes, definitely still a go-er,

School and job and kids and wife and .......not to mention two hard drive crashes.

troubles have made it difficult to do any testing but I will post what I have.

I tried to get into the portal tonight but it wouldn't load.

smashtv offered some space on his server a while back to put the file(s), but i don't know if the offer still stands, I have the .brd file, just need some space somewhere to put it.

If you need the .brd file email me, the rest will be posted soon, sorry for the wait.....

yes, definitely still a go-er,

Sweet! :)

School and job and kids and wife and .......not to mention two hard drive crashes.

smashtv offered some space on his server a while back to put the file(s), but i don't know if the offer still stands, I have the .brd file, just need some space somewhere to put it.

If you need the .brd file email me, the rest will be posted soon, sorry for the wait.....

Coo. I think u can upload it to the portal server if u reg there - if not email it me and i'll stick it up there....or on my own space whichever is poss...

Nice

D

There is plenty of web space for you Drumwide, just say the word.  8)

Have fun!

SmashTV

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

still working, slowly but surely ;). I am building more triggers and ainx4 to test 16-32 inputs ;D and trying to get functionality with mb64 v2.0 ???. Hang in there guys, Ill get it done eventually.... :-/

the circuit that buffers the piezo's voltage for the ain is available on the portal (thanks smashtv). If anyone tests it please let me know what happened. Thanks...

I'm definately interested in testing the drum triggers. I'm almost finished building my MB64 now, just soldering the last pots on. What needs to be done at the software end to enable trigger support?

Also, is there a parts list for the trigger circuit?

cheers, tub.

tub, here is a link to the thread that has info on the trigger handler that Thorsten so graciously wrote for me

;D

http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=mios;action=display;num=1073116355

;D

As for the parts list, I just copied the stuff off of the .brd file. But I will try to put a list together.

;D

D2K.....

Yes, I  have working drum triggers. I am working on putting 8 usable trigger integrated into a mb64 v2.0, so the setup menus can be used and the different modes for the different displays. Next will be integration of more triggers(16-32) into mb64 v2.0. As soon as I have 8 triggers working well in mb64 v2.0 I will release it here.

No hardware changes yet..........

Thanks for hangin' in there. I know it is taking me a long time. ;D

TUB....

mbhp_trig8_v1 parts list

1---------------7808-------------------------8 volt, voltage regulator

2---------------LM324----------------------Quad op amp

8---------------1N4148---------------------diode

8---------------BAT85---------------------diode

8---------------100--------------------------metal film resistor

8---------------1k----------------------------metal film resistor

8---------------47k--------------------------metal film resistor

16-------------100k-------------------------metal film resistor

16-------------100nF-----------------------ceramic disk capacitors

26 pin SIL----------------------------------breakaway, single inline pinheader

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He! I build a Trigger interface last year. Here is the schematic:

www.minidat.de/apm/sensor.jpg

Who knows the zendrum from:

www.zendrum.com

A Drumtrigger for your hands! It looks cool

Who knows what kind off trigger they use? I thing no piezo!

• 1 month later...

:D

This digital drum could replace my Roland TD6K because i don t use the sounbd of the TD6 module ( theyre not very good ) but i plug in midi to my computer and play with Battery but it s hard ( for me ) to configure but it s sound good !!

My Roland TD6K cost 1100 Euros and the digital drum cost 79.99 Euros lol

:P

PS: i m searching for TD6K users to talk about our config.

And perhaps it s possible to send sound to theTD6 module to change sound ???? i don t know about that .

???

btw: I tried the Yamaha DD 55 Digital drum set in the meantime (220 Euros). Before I tell more: I gave it back the next day... LOL!

Anyhow: The drum sounds are very classical, but I really didn´t buy it because of that (I wanted to trigger drum samples in my comp). To round it up: It´s big, it´s much air, it´s consuming ALOT of power (16W). And changing the sended note for each pad is a HORROR. The pad velocity is OK, although the velocity chaning in three steps is *very* rough in my opinion. Really good for drummers perhaps, but nothing more.

SO: I gotta build it myself again!  ;D Still looking forward!  :D

Greetz!