water slide decals for commodore case

fallenturtle

I'm building my synth inside a Commodore VIC-20 case. The LEDs will be poking out of the surface so I'm trying to figure out the best way to apply labels to the case surface. One method I'm considering is using water slide decals which are popular with people who do models and custom guitar gear.

The pack of this special paper is $20 so I'm hesitant to buy some if its going fall off or look like crap. Has anyone had any experience trying to use these type of decals on a surface like the commodore cases? My concerns are: 1) while the case is mostly flat, its got a little texture, so I'm wondering if that will lead to the decals falling off. 2) If the case is matte and I'm not planning to apply a clear coat to the top, will the edges of the decals be really obvious and look bad?

I'm also open to suggestions on better ways to apply the labels.

Label makers like the ptouch are nice while you are in the development stage. They cost the same as what you are proposing so not sure you come out ahead much there.  If you have a good idea of what you want for a layout and do not think you will change it they are not as nice as other options at that point. I have also printed a lot of my stuff out just on paper while I was working it out. you may want to consider a laser etched acrylic panel as your label. They look super nice and are fairly affordable. you can get multi color acrylic so the etched/engraved part will be a different color. Check https://www.ponoko.com/ Just some thoughts. They also have a good maker space in San Fran,  check them out they should do laser cutting/engraving as well. Maybe cnc aluminum but that tends to cost double to triple depending on the design. What you are suggesting should work and be ok for a while but over time I think it would tend to start to peel...

I already own a ptouch and with clear tape even, but I think it will have the same issue of looking like a sticker. The laser etch transparent panel might be interesting, depending on its height. Thanks for the link.

I didn't realize until I did more research that they make rub offs that can be printed in a laser print, so I'm also considering that since ultimately what I'd like is to have the lettering directly on the case surface and with no shiny transparent margin around them which I think is what I might get with the water transfer technique.