Waiting for parts

goyousalukis

So, While I am impatiently waiting for parts for my bottom board, I thought I would show you my progress so far. Originally, I was going to mill my own control surface using Wilba's DXF on an aluminum panel. I ordered a panel from Mouser, but it turned out to be the back panel for the Pac10 enclosure, and the front panel is not stocked. So instead, I took a piece of 9mm baltic birch, and milled a pocket leaving about the .062" thickness that the original panel has. I then flipped the panel and routed out all the holes on the front. I was worried about chip out, routing such thin wood, but it turned out great. 

Then I decided to dye the somewhat boring plywood orange. The next question was the control labels. I have a laser module that I can mount on my CNC, but after some tests, I realized that the lines on Wilba's CS are too small for my laser. I really need to get another module with a smaller beam. So instead, I decided to try decal paper. I printed the control surface on a sheet of decal paper and cut out and applied each piece separately. In hind-sight, I could have tried printing the entire CS on a sheet and transfer it at once. Then I added a few of my own touches. I used a product called micro-set to dissolve the decals so that they would look better. This worked ok, but not as good as it does on pro decals. Finally, I sprayed a bunch of coats of lacquer, praying it wouldn't mess up the decals. So far so good.

I also 3D printed a bezel for the LCD. I bought the Waldorf Knobs, but they don't fit so great on the Bourns encoders. I can push them on, but they are pretty much impossible to get off. I am thinking about 3D printing some knobs out of the same orange filament. We'll see.

This takes me to where I am now - on the rest of the case. I have cut two side panels so far. I need to finish sanding them, and then I'll make the rest of the case to fit the control panel.

Thanks for checking it out...

PanelStart.png

Panel2.png

Panel3.png

Panel4.png

Panel5.png

• Like 1