Another MIDIbox core

FantomXR

15 hours ago, Phatline said:

is the rest of layout the same as the files you released here? (V0)(specially the j89 10 11... and the mounting holes?)

(i ask because i would then project around this- to simple plug your core into my UI... i would then if i get it fit - need some of those cores.)

if you make a run how many is minimum.

and what is priceing.

do the place machine pick all smd parts on top?

@FantomXR ? thx for info

10 hours ago, slo said:

@Phatline With Midi I/O module connected you get 2 in and 2 out midi connections 

you are right, was late last night... maybe i only saw HiSpeed and... didnt see:

j11e.thumb.png.be64e3ca560e921504a798626

9 hours ago, Antichambre said:

What is the features of this board?
Which legacy ports are available?
What is the size of the board?

download the files (if you have eagle) and see:

Size V0: 98,5mm x 48,5mm ?

Features, Legacy ports: see screenshot, (there is the SD-Slot Missing, since @FantomXR said, he changed something?... and for me it is NOT necessery, in this picture, because i need only the Pin-Headers for a Sandwitch- Footage-Kicad-Part to import.)

PURPOSE: (by looking @ shematic)

J8/9 SRIO (for normal shiftregisters)

Midi A+B (+HiSpeed? )(need external Optocoppler),

J30 Displays(need external HC595),

Bootloader-Switch(for program-alphas...debug),

onboard-Voltage-Regulator (5V input regulated to 3,3V),

Micro-SD-Slot(flat on board),

USB over Pinheader (no onboard-socket),

USB-Power-Jumper

J6+J7 - Pedals+Fader are a bit J19-ish (AOUT-SPI) but thru a MCP3208? used as: "for an AINSER64-like-analog-scanning" (connect there a AIN64? dont know)

SWD-Header (to program BOOTLOADER into board by using for a example a Discovery-Board),

Reset-Header

@FantomXR are the Connectors and Mount Holes still the same in current Version?

FantomX-Core-V0-connectors.thumb.png.be0

Edited by Phatline

Since I just received the PnP machine last week I don't have enough experience yet to give you informations about prices.

But yes: The PnP machine places all SMD parts which are not too high f.e. electrolytic capacitors. I didn't try double-side-partmounting yet. 

Regarding your comments:
I use external optocoupler for MIDI I/O
Micro-SD Slot is on the back of that PCB
J6 & J7: I made some pcbs with faders which I connect directly to that connectors. 

There is no "current" version. It's a proof of concept, which worked. So I used the circuit around the STM provided in this design here in my other projects.

• Like 1

On 21.7.2018 at 9:09 PM, FantomXR said:
On 22.7.2018 at 4:06 PM, FantomXR said:

there is no "current" version. It's a proof of concept, which worked.

and improved the design which I populated here.

? then files for the "improved" design.

? or the info: are any connector positions(xy) have changed

thx mike

Edited by Phatline

To be honest I can not follow you.

I improved the design which I published here and used that in my other designs which I don't want to make open source.
For example I changed the oscillator to SMD, I changed all none-VDD-traces to 0.2032mm, I changed all vias to round-style and 0.32mm diameter. I removed the ID-pin from USB. I added an inductor behind the USB connector for EMC-improvements. Also I changed all 0603 SMD parts to 0805.

Those are a few changes I made in my other designs. 

@AntichambreC "could we help you to improve it?'"

if you have ideas... i definitivly would be in for some "minimal boards" work in that trace wide and smd quarz changings and maybe microsd footprintchange.

dont know how many bords also depends on the price of course (have not much  clue about pick and place and the time for stuffing that machines...)

i find it practicable when the IO connections are in one row specially j89 and the midi . to plug it into a small io (10x10 for example) so they dont cross the middle of ui  where are  matrices buttons or leds.

what improves you thought?

@Phatline Yes a small and generic board could be a great thing, I'm always tempted to use the LPC for its size but I need the STM features for some applications :/
This must be a clever alternative to the wCore, not a concurrent but an answer where the wCore can't fit our design.
There's a lot of way to think about it, we can maybe start a new tread and begin to discuss about it...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Antichambre said:

@Phatline Yes a small and generic board could be a great thing, I'm always tempted to use the LPC for its size but I need the STM features for some applications :/
This must be a clever alternative to the wCore, not a concurrent but an answer where the wCore can't fit our design.
There's a lot of way to think about it, we can maybe start a new tread and begin to discuss about it...

agreee... so what we call it? miniCore32,  10x4CORE, RFcore(reduced formfactor)....-names based in formsize.

or a name based on the limited/reduced ports- fundimentalCore,  basisCore, baseCore...

or a name as tributs based of the inital designer - XRcore . while x as variable for size . f for formfactor...

or something with midi in it. since core is a common widely used name also in other genres... midicore (not the smallest not the tallest the medium.,. and of course midi as protocoll view)

new thread with choosen corename then in design concepts again.

i have some time left. and have interest and use of it. so what we call it... and start

mnmlCore for minimal maybe, I don't know like you want ;)

The perfect thing could be to get the exact same ports as the Core8, with a smaller package of the stm32f407on a DIP-40 formatted board. :grin:
=> this will allow to upgrade all old midiboxes easily, increase processes and speed of @latigid on 's BLM for example...
=> we've got it for other new tiny application.
Just an idea, but it's maybe impossible to get the exact same pinout and everything on a DIP40 board, don't know...

Edited by Antichambre

I took a look at the Core8 and I'd say that it should be possible to create a PCB with the STM with that size and the same pinout. Not sure if it makes any sense though. 

Anyway: If we want to use my pick & place machine it's good to have 5 PCBs or more of the same type at the same type. 

Are you guys familiar with routing and creating PCBs? Who wants to do it?

i am familiar, with it,

etched and drilled my single sidet pcbs ano 2008 or so...

had expirience with the old eagle, now a bit with the new autodesk ones (import export run scripts to get footprints and shemes them to kicad ;)  ),

have more skills on the kicad 4... the not released yet offical kicad 5 can import whole eagle projects (so this core for example can be ported)...

but i never prepered a file for external fabrication (design rules for specific fabricators... but know soldermask... whatching the eevblog)

- i want to do it... or at least try it with kicad 5 (how good this eagle import really works)

--- start by comparing core 8 with core32, --- but for me pinout core32 makes more sense,

--- hand drawing for small Projects usecases: where are the ports situated, to make it sandwitch-able, what about midiports and so on...core 8 had midi onboard, which makes sense, the midisocket makes no sense of course (since you can built the device in rack or desktop... AND this thru holes optos take to much space for such tiny pcb - and make routing around very hard... > so for me it is in the early concept phase - maybe use smd-sockets for the thruhole optos - or solder smdoptos directly on board,

...the midi pcb itself would be as slim as the socket, and could be situated on the same pcb with break-drills/cuts to break it away (rack desktop, middle of ui, back of the uipcb-situations)

... and so on - i start a new thread soon. for talking more about concept.

i made a new topic:

i made a wiki:

http://wiki.midibox.org/doku.php?id=mnmlcore#pcb_fabrication_pick_and_place

@FantomXR

i imported  your files into kicad5, the board looks like this:

airwires.thumb.png.08ad615132d706f080c66

The Airwires which are "ground" going to ground, since you fill everything with ground - i understand ... but what is it about the rest of that airwires ( i see the same in eagle) for example-the bootloader-header - it has a 3,3V airwire, dont think you made a 3,3V Plane there? (no isolation on the ground side)  --- only ask - because maybe i have to turn on anything in eagle to show up... or you didnt need them - thx for info.

Edited by Phatline

• 6 months later...

I made a display addon for this minimal core. This was my first attempt at Eagle and while the resulting PCB had a few errors I was able to kludge the first version and get it working. The display addon snaps into the original minimal core board with standard .100" male/female headers. I also made a reduced Midi I/O with a thru section using TRS jacks, (thanks Andy for the footprint) this also works well. My goal is a small scale SCS box to run a small synth switcher/routing unit.

I will upload the files when I've time to fix the errors.

@Fantom XR thanks for the core board and inspiration.

Midi_Addon.jpg

Display_Addon.jpg

Edited by slo