Seq V4 Gate Outputs - Gate, Slide, Accent like in SID V2?

sebiiksbcs

Apologies if this has been explained before and I simply didn't find it.

See title. Correct me if I'm wrong: the SID V2 engine seems to offer the option to directly forward various information to the "gate" output pins, including gate, slide, and accent information (when using the bassline or drum mode)
Is the same possible with the SEQ V4? Or are the gate outputs (I will be using a dedicated DOUT shift register) somehow hard-wired to pair up with their respective CV channels? Like gate 1 always goes with CV 1 (and outputs the gates of the track that CV 1 is assigned to)

See MBSEQ_HW.V4:

##################################################
# CV and Gate/Trigger/Sync Setup
##################################################

# AOUT interface now selected in CV Configuration Menu and stored in MBSEQ_GC.V4 file
# please scroll through the menu to find this page!

# the 8 CV gates can be assigned to a shift register (0=off, 1-32: number of shift register):
# - 1st CV Gate available at DOUT SR output D7
# - 2nd CV Gate available at DOUT SR output D6
# - 3rd CV Gate available at DOUT SR output D5
# - ...
# - 8th CV Gate available at DOUT SR output D0
CV_GATE_SR1   0

# and DIN Clock Outputs can be assigned to a shift register as well (0=off, 1-32: number of shift register):
# D7..D0 will output individual clock or start/stop signals which can be configured in the CV configuration page
CLK_SR        0

# additional gate triggers are available on common digital output pins of the
# DOUT shift register chain - they are assigned to AOUT channel #16 (Note C-1, C#1, D-1, ...)
# define the shift registers which should be used here (each provides 8 gates)
# Note that SRs assigned to this function cannot be used as LED outputs (exclusive function)
# Allowed values: 1-32, 0 disables the function, all other values invalid and not allowed
DOUT_GATE_SR1   0
DOUT_GATE_SR2   0
DOUT_GATE_SR3   0
DOUT_GATE_SR4   0
DOUT_GATE_SR5   0
DOUT_GATE_SR6   0
DOUT_GATE_SR7   0
DOUT_GATE_SR8   0

My focus lies on slide and accent information, so I guess I'll answer my own question with "no"

Slide (or better glide) is taken care of by the Seq itself, which leaves accent.

So I am assuming that a hack is possible, e.g. output a logic high on a separate DOUT pin whenever the track step's velocity is above 100?

Edited by Akcija

• 2 weeks later...

from  SEQ_CV_SendPackage in  core/seq_cv.c:

// if channel 1..8: set only note value on CV OUT #1..8, triggers Gate #1..8
// if channel 9..12: set note/velocity on each pin pair (CV OUT #1/2, #3/4, #5/6, #7/8), triggers Gate #1+2, #3+4, #5+6, #7+8
// if channel 13..15: set velocity/note on each pin pair (CV OUT #1/2, #3/4, #5/6), triggers Gate #1+2, #3+4, #5+6
// if channel 16: trigger the extension pins (DOUT)

This is entirely new to me! Is the pairing feature only available via the actual tracks 9-15 on the Seq?

So this way there already is a velocity feature implemented, which is much more desirable than accent on/off anyway!

But instead of duplicating the gate signal across the paired pins, #1/2, #3/4, #5/6, #7/8, couldn't the second pin of each pair go high when velocity exceeds 100? Which would naturally also happen when the accent trig is active?

This way there'd be note, velocity, accent, all in one flexible package... Or am I misunderstanding something?

This is a very clever idea, thanks for this!! :cheers:

For those who want to try it out - it's now available in following preliminary release:
http://www.ucapps.de/mios32/midibox_seq_v4_095_pre12.zip

o AOUT: Channel 9..12/13..15 now set the gate pins #1/3/5/7 as documented (previously it was #1/2/3/4 due to a code translation error)
     New: gate pins #2/4/6/8 are now set whenever the velocity is >100.
     This way the pins can be used as an accent trigger

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...