MBSeqv4 Power Requirements

goyousalukis

Hey guys, I was wondering what you all do to power your Seq?

Right now I am using just the USB from the computer, and I have the jumper from PA9->5V. I currently have Wilba's front panel, with 2 LCDs, Midi IO, and I just added a DOUT for CV gates, clock, etc. When I measure the 5V on the STM324F, it is down to 4.45v.. Next up, I am addin an AOUT_NG. Is the USB Power from the computer enough? I guess the solution would be to provide wal-wart power via the USB Mini, remove the jumper, and then I could still connect the computer via the USB micro for MIOS Studio functions. 

Is that the way to go?

Thanks, Justin

5v from USB is fine, but for the a_out you need + and - 12v. (at the least for the A_out-ng)

Currently I am using a DIY eurorack powersupply for testing the a_outng.

But I am considering this ones: found this small dc-dc conversters mentioned by Oliver Pichenette @MI ' Traco Power TMR1-1222 or TRN1-1222'

Should be able to deliver enought current.  And its tiny so you can build it in to your midi box.

Alternatively I am considering to take power directly from a eurorack synth. connecting using a dsub 25.

Thanks - good points guys. Right now, I just finished assembling my Aout, except I didn't catch that all the resistors are 1%, so I am waiting on a few more resistors.

I'm using a DIY skiff to hold the synth, and it has a power supply with it. I was planning on grabbing the +/- 12 from that power. Rowan's eurorack breakout panels for the CV outs/gates/triggers looks great. 

At the moment, I can't imagine setting up with the MBSeq very far from the rack, so I don't plan to make the line driver, but we'll see how much I like the eurorack stuff.

Now I have to finish soldering up the synth, and I can start making some noise! I have already been messing with midi and my MBSid, and the sequencer is so cool. I can just turn on the robo/hum settings and listen to randomly generated stuff. very cool.

• 1 month later...

I have used the murata dc to dc converters. They are isolated and can take 5v in to -/+12 out. They are generally 1A but you can get them in 3A or higher packages. I have mostly used them to build isolated laser, rdm and dmx controllers. They come in allsorts of voltage options both on the input and output including +/- output. The non isolated ones are a bit cheaper. Either would work great to power the analog module. I used one in my midibox sid build. They run cool too unless you short the outputs. They do take a short for a bit but will let the smoke out after a while. Lot less heat, space and weight to think about than a transformer and 78xx regulators. Should be much cheaper than a dual voltage transformer if you are considering that.

The Dlink 7 port fast charging hubs or Linksys DUB H7 are really good too if you have several devices to power by usb. They both have a 3A power supply...  and should work anywhere in the world as the plugs are 100 -250v. Not as nice looking as the one linked above but they put out a lot of available power if you need it.

Currently I am just using a 1a usb cell phone charger cube. I like the ones that the usb plugs on the top as they make power strip management much easier. I have oleds, wilba's front panel, tpd and midi io. I have a 2c midi too but it currently is not connected. I am under 500ma and the 1A cell phone cubes work great. If I had back lit LCD or a 16x16 BLM the current draw would be a good bit higher.

I also used one of these so not to plug directly into the core:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-5-Pin-Male-to-Female-with-Screw-Hole-Panel-Mount-Extention-Cable-A248/401507370741?hash=item5d7bb446f5:g:6SgAAOSwOwZZiAYA

I might go with one of these now I did not see them at the time:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/90-Degree-Left-Angled-Micro-USB-5pin-Male-to-USB-B-Female-Panel-Mount-Type-Cable/162358249642?hash=item25cd4e48aa:g:dbYAAOSw9GhYenj~:sc:USPSFirstClass!27312!US!-1

The usb B is just a lot more sturdy connector.

Edited by gerald.wert
more info

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add some more info to this thread...

I tested the line drivers in my configuration (STFM32F4 core, 2 x blue LCD, Wilba panel, line driver transmitter, line driver receiver, TPD, BLM16x4 and 2 x MIDI I/O) and the power consumption peaked at 750 mA. So these things really add to the overall power consumption!

Yes back lit LCD are very power hungry! normally around 300ma each on a 2x40 some will peak over 500 ma on startup. Better have a heat sink on that regulator!

oled 2x40 are normally under 50ma each... makes a huge difference on
Thermal power dissipation. They are a lot sharper too just not cheaper.

Edited by gerald.wert

5 hours ago, beautyofdecay_ said:

My reference was to the line drivers.
When I added them, power consumption went up with about 300mA. The TPD and BLM16x4 were connected to the receiver side of the line drivers. I didn't expect them to be so power hungry... :confused:

How many LEDs !?! ... don't know the limiting resistor value at these built but 300mA is 30 LEDs @ 10mA, easy to get !

Best

Zam