Strange button behaviour

Molom

Hi all,

My beloved MB-6582 has developed a problem with the rightmost menu button, i.e., the one used to select the SAV page.

It used to work, but now when I press it, it selects either the ENV or MOD page instead, irrespective of what page is actually shown above it. This means I’m no longer able to save any patches. 

Does anyone know what the cause might be? Hardware or software? I’m not sure how to begin diagnosing it. 

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Just a guess, but I would inspect all the solder joints on the IC's. Since the buttons are connected with a matrix, a stray blob of solder or some other bridge could cause weird results. I could swear there is a firmware you can upload that tells you which pin each button is connected to, but I don't see it in the troubleshooting section of the MIOS8 uploads.

Thanks for the suggestion Goyousalukis. I think I know the firmware you mean. I found this useful though: http://wiki.midibox.org/doku.php?id=control_surface_troubleshooting

I've discovered that the problem stops if I completely detach the control surface from the aluminium front panel, which would indicate it's causing a short somewhere. I think I can isolate it and fix it, but It's 3 am now so that'll be a job for tomorrow. 

I managed to fix the problem by... not doing anything special. I just carefully reattached the CS to the front panel, testing the switch as I went.

Incidentally, I really hate opening up the unit. Almost every time I do so, I break at least one of the wires on the JD pads. :disgusted: