Seq V4 for the visually impaired

4c1dh34d

Hello,

I am visually impaired.  With optimal correction (glasses) I have only 50% vision in my good eye and 20-25% in the other (so my depth perception is also distorted).  My optic nerves are dying and if the medication stops working I will go blind.

Not so long ago I was a complete electronics virgin but I have been studying hard to get a better understanding of at least the basics regarding circuitry and components.

I'm still very much a noob but I'm slowly starting to see the forest through the trees ;)

I now believe that it should be possible to create a UI that is better suited for the visually impaired, perhaps even the blind.

After doing a lot of research I think the midibox platform and MIOS would be an excellent place to start from and I already found someone locally who can help with the assembly/soldering.

I would very much like to design a front panel with a much larger display - the same 40*2 layout as the "traditional" seq V4 displays (as to avoid any programming cans of worms) but much (much!) larger - but I need to look into how that would affect power draw and find a solution for that problem.

Once I have the UI design ready and have a decent enough idea of what components to use I could probably use some help with the design of the pcb and I am willing to pay for that service.

Can someone give me an idea of how much it would cost to have a custom pcb designed and are there any people or companies you could recommend?

best regards

Hi, A big (all-in-one) control surface PCB is nice to have, but it is not absolutely necessary. You can build the separate modules and connect them together and get the exact same functionality as the MB Sequencer. You just have to figure out how to mount the buttons, LEDs, and encoders.I don't know if anyone here is going to want to design a "on-off" board. That is a lot of work (well beyond my abilities:). 

As far as power draw goes, you can power a MBSeq from an external source. I have mine powered by a 5V 10 AMP power supply - this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T6TLMI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Of course I don't expect it to draw anywhere near 10 AMPs. If you post a link to the displays you plan to use, we can take a look at the specs.

Regards,

Justin

Hi,

concerning the displays: I remember that I added an option for 4 LCDs to the firmware for somebody who had 2x20 LCD modules which were bigger than the common ones:

mbseq_4lcd.jpg

Picture was created 2010, not sure if such displays still exist

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi,

maybe you could also be interested in using a MIDI looper with primarily haptic interaction. This approach would allow you to make loop-based music completely without a display.
Andy and I are currently developing such a looper, based on TK.'s MBSEQ sequencer engine. It has a display, but it might be reconfigured to offer these primarily haptic functions:

* turn an encoder to change the currently active track (on which you are recording)
* use an encoder to change the pattern length of the currently active track (from a limited number of presets)
* use a footswitch to start/stop playback and recording
* use a footswitch to "punch out" notes during rerecording of a loop
* use a switch (can be marked with "braille" markings) to clear currently active track
-> this would allow for a basic, purely haptic recording setup

* use switches (can be marked with "braille" markings) to choose currently muted/unmuted tracks
* use an encoder to change the current scene (multiple clips are played in parallel tracks in a scene, switching the scene will "load" new clips into the tracks. A track is associated with a MIDI instrument)
* use an encoder to change BPM
-> this would allow for live sequencing, also without a display

Such a setup might be used to drive several MIDI hardware synths using a MIDI keyboard.

Many greetings,
Peter

Thanks to all for the replies!

40x2 displays with an acceptable character size seem to be very hard to find, but I found some 20x2's with characters that are twice the size of the ones on my current sequencer.  That would already be a huge step in the right direction.

I'll have to look into the subject some more when I have the time to compare specs and datasheets.

Peter some of the options you mention sound quite interesting - although personally I'm not a fan of the idea of using a footswitch ;)  Perhaps making the main encoders clickable and assigning "step mute" to the click could be interesting? Maybe dedicated encoders for playback mode/direction and clock division/multiplication? From a strictly personal point of view I'd also love dedicated per-step accent and slide buttons or switches... 

To be honest, the seq V4 appears to be an amazing production tool and I'll be very happy to get one with large enough displays, but I have this silly dream of a seq V5 which is keeping me motivated to learn C ;) You see, I get the impression that most if not all hardware sequencers are either production tools or performance instruments and I want a device that can be both... Imagine a Maq 16/3 with the brain of a seq V4, more or less ;) I'm studying every day so sooner or later that should yield some results...

thx and grtz

The ST7066U controller should work. I have seen a few threads with people getting them to work. Have you compared oleds? they have a good bit more contrast so may be easier to read then a standard LCD. They do also tend to cost more though depending on your budget. There are also single line displays that have even larger characters. It would be beyond my ability to write the drivers and code get them working though it may be worth your research.  

EA W202-XDLG
2x20
9.66mm
180x40 mm
Yellow

http://www.mmselectronics.co.uk/lcdoled.htm