Midi_IO Troubles

halfordC

I had a fully functioning, cased Midibox Seq V4. Everything was fine for about a week, but then I had a weird message pop up.
Everything is fully functional, until I plug in any midi device to any of the out ports. Then, I'll press play, and the step 1 led turns red, and I get a message on the LCD screen that reads "Midi Timeout Error".  I've re-soldered both IO Modules, and even picked up a new set of midi IO boards. I soldered one together with all new parts, without the activity indicator LED section (Only the collection of resistors 2 diodes that run the In and out circuit), and still have the same error.

What's weirder, is that when I make the same circuit from the schematic on a breadboard, and just plug it into only MidiOut1, everything works great.
has anyone else experienced anything similar to this problem? All my solder joints on the new module are good, and with the output portion, I'm only dealing with 3 components. It's very strange.

Did you try another power supply?...are you powering the breadboard circuit from something else or the V4 supply? I tend to always look at the power supply first when trying to debug strange issues just to make sure the power delivery is rock solid. 

What is the exact message on screen?
This message comes from NOTIFY_MIDI_TimeOut Function which notifies an error of Sysex or BLM (uncomplete).
Is there any MIDI In connected? Check if one of your external equipment don't send any Sysex, check your configuration Port for the BLM in your SEQ.

Best

Edited by Antichambre

Hey! Thanks for the Replies.
The specific Error Message is "MIDI PROTOCOL TIMEOUT !!!" (with three !!! like that haha)

A part of the problem was definitely the clock. After switching from "Auto" to "Master" in the BPM settings page, The steps no allways go, and never hang up.

However, there is no midi data being sent, and I have my Midi Router Settings set to OUT1 as the default port, and All of my nodes set to OUT1.

Now, I just get that error message when I press stop.

I have no other midi devices plugged in, just one synth/drum machine in output A. (I've tried a bunch of different gear with all the same results.)
The breadboard didn't have any power, but it was only 1 of the output circuit of IO Module. basically ground,pin, 5v pin+220Ohm resistor, and MO1 pin+220 Ohm resistor.
I'm using a phone charger, and my multi meter probes aren't small enough to test the contacts

Also, I had some suspicion It might be my poorly made ribbon cables, so I bought 2 brand new pre-made ones from amazon, and they came yesterday, and I'm still having the same problem.

Edited by halfordC

Update: So, It was for sure the cable. The new one's I got from amazon were made incorrectly (for midibox anyway), and I had 1 that was made right in my pile of IDC ribbon cables. Both nubs must be on the outside! Once my crimper comes in the mail, I should be back up and running!
Thanks for the tips though everyone!