LoopA V2 Introduction, Features & Support Thread

Hawkeye

• 4 weeks later...

Some people noticed that the LoopA can get stuck in booloader hold mode. As a potential remedy, install resistors R101 and R102. If you don't have the exact values it doesn't really matter. JPA0 should be left unjumpered except if you want to enforce bootloader hold.

With the resistors installed the state of PA0 is properly defined rather than floating. If you don't notice the issue, no need to change it! The BOM is updated to reflect this.

• 2 weeks later...

@latigid on some history on this: while previous boards had a pull-up device for this pin, the STM32F4 Discovery Board had a pull-down, therefore I did'n activate an internal pull device to avoid cross-currents. Good that you didn't completely remove the option for an external resistor! :)

On 23.8.2020 at 11:44 AM, Hawkeye said:

LoopA v2.07 has been released with these new features:

* CC Recording, transformation and generation
* Selective track progression (vs full scene progresion)
* Support for 30 different time signatures
* Polymetric and polyrhythmic sequence support
* Classic step recording mode
* Note velocity dampening effect (also as a footswitch action)

Download here:
https://www.midiphy.com/en/loopa-v2/

Massive thanks to all beta testers, who helped with this one! :)

We've also created a demo video of the essential features of the LoopA - and how these could be used in your creative workflow - this has been requested a few times, so here you go:

@silverlight2004: that's fantastic to hear, hope you'll enjoy it! :)

Best regards,
Peter

@Hawkeyegreat demo, I like it! :) With the step sequencer features the LoopA even becomes interesting for me as a guy who unlearned live playing (too much automation - I was better >20 years ago ;-)

The graphics are epic! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

On 10/6/2020 at 11:50 PM, TK. said:

@Hawkeyegreat demo, I like it! :) With the step sequencer features the LoopA even becomes interesting for me as a guy who unlearned live playing (too much automation - I was better >20 years ago ;-)

The graphics are epic! :)

Thanks, TK., you know the graphical bling always has high priority! :)

Best regards and have a great weekend!
Peter

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Karg said:

Does the LoopA forward/route Program Change messages as well?

Hi Karg,

no problem, as you said, there is both a router and a separate live forwarding function built into the LoopA:

* the MIDI Router should transparently route program changes. These are the 0xC0-0xCF MIDI packets followed by a program number byte, they should be visible in LoopAs MIDI Monitor screen.

* "live forwarding", as configured on the track page will only forward Note On/Note Off and CC messages, this is basically to avoid confusion, i.e. if you have a main synth as a master keyboard, changing a patch there should not be forwarded to another synth via this "live" facility.

Best regards,
Peter

15 minutes ago, rvooh said:

Just one question: does the device also send midi clock when it is not playing? I prefer it like this, but a lot of devices don't do this and it's quite a dealbreaker for me

Thanks for your interest in the LoopA, @rvooh!

Comparable to the SEQ v4/v4+, also for the LoopA the sequencer engine needs to be running to create a proper MIDI clock. But it is very simple to have the sequencer running and not playing back any recorded clips. You could either mute all tracks in the mute screen (6 button presses), or have an empty scene that just contains no clip data - to then perform a "synced" switch to the first scene containing note data you'd just turn the upper-left encoder once to jump to the first scene.

You can also assign a footswitch pedal for this task, so you would not need to physically sit in front of the LoopA :).

This can also be stored as a startup-default (as the LoopA automatically recalls the last stored session), so after powering up the LoopA, you'd just need to press Run/Stop once and would have an active MIDI clock and no playback.

Best regards,
Peter

Thanks Peter for explaining.

It's more about compatibility with old machines that need to be "stopped" for programming, but can't be programmed without getting clock (they will just freeze), and how certain clock convertors (dinsync) prefer constant clock. The Midi spec allows both, though between the lines they sorta recommend sending clock when idle.

That's bad news for me though as I was planning on using the LoopA as a master clock in my small studio, and glad I asked before I started sourcing parts.

Hearing that it's also like that on the SEQ V4 make me suspect that it's not something that could be changed easily in software.

Edited by rvooh
typo

11 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

@rvooh no problem! Just out of interest: what would be keeping you from having the LoopA (or the SEQ v4/v4+) generate a clock all the time and just enable the tracks when you want them to play?

For example, a TB-303 needs to be "stopped" to program it. But when clocked with dinsync it will "freeze" the moment it doesn't get any clock. The only way to program it when it is slaved to a device (= when a cable is in the dinsync input) that doesn't send clock when idle, is by yanking out the dinsync cord (which is really not practical, nor recommended as this is a fragile connector).
My main sequencer (Squarp Pyramid) sends clock when idle (it also has a setting to disable it for people that don't want this). Actually most gear I have does it. One exception is the Alesis MMT-8, exactly the device I was hoping to replace with the LoopA, which I now have to use when a dedicated external clock for this reason.

@rvooh thanks for the explanation - just thinking about an easy-to-implement solution for this - i'd be interested in it as well, as another LoopA user had reported a similar problem - the MIDI-clock-synced LFOs of a synth would have a bit of "stuttering" when starting or stopping the sequencer engine, as the synth needed a few clock ticks to synchronize itself and went out-of-sync directly after the MIDI stop, leading to problems with any lfo-synced echo effects.

How about this proposal - i think it might help both of you, while it would not change the workflow for all other LoopA users:

1) pressing the SELECT encoder and RUN/STOP would activate the sequencer engine in "softstart" mode, without sending a MIDI start (0xFA) command, but the MIDI clock (0xF8) would be sent (LoopA sequencer is running, clips are played back, you'd need to mute those manually or use an empty scene)
2) when in "softstart" or "softstop" mode and you press RUN/STOP again, the MIDI start command would be sent (the running clock is "untouched" and everything stays in sync)
3) when the sequencer engine is running and you press SELECT and RUN/STOP again, the MIDI stop (0xFC) command would be sent ("softstop" mode), but the MIDI clock (0xF8) would continue to be sent (LoopA sequencer is still running)
4) when in "softstop" mode, pressing RUN/STOP again would finally stop sending MIDI clock (then the LoopA sequencer engine is not running anymore)

Would this approach improve matters with your 303?

Best regards,
Peter

possible to add a Midi PC TX option in the settings?

i know there are more then 128 Sessions on a loopa ;) .... so maybe send a "Bank 0, Bank 1" in addition if you go over 127 Presets.

If the Bank is a problem, just transmit Session 0-127 (minimal midi compatible to most synths or sequencers, that would be enough)

@ the moment the looper is my masterclock, and it also should send a programchange - after loading a session, in a live situation on stage it would make live much easyier...

@Phatline yes, we can do that - currently finalizing the MatriX, but after its launch, the LoopA will get an update anyways to be able to connect to it - we've also collected a few other items on the extension wishlist by other users by now, so there will be a v2.08 after the MatriX launch :).

Just to make sure i understood it right:

* add a new config setting in SETUP screen - "transmit PC after load" (on/off, off by default to not break behaviour for existing users)
* if this setting is enabled and after a session has loaded, transmit program change MIDI messages with the loaded session number to all six tracks.

-> It's a great idea, i think, thank you! With this function, people could set up their patches to match their LoopA sessions and after loading a new session, all synths can change to the respectively required patch.

Best regards,
Peter

yes sounds good: transmit PC after Load a Patch from Disk - Disabled by Default, Enabled in Setup...

@ PC 2 all 6 Tracks, consider one thing:

you have a Synth with for example 6 independend parts/Engines, each a midichannel, how do manage your synth-savings (maybe you dont save - you just jam, beside doing midiphy, programming, and  beeing hit by the nudelholz...)

For example, Part1 is running on Midichannel 1, Part2 on 2, 3-3, 4-15, 5-16, 6-whatever.

when you send a PC32 on Midichannel 1 2 3... -. then depending on the synth you have - on mine (nordrackIII) it loads on all 6 Parts Patch 32 (which is saved on the same slot "1-32"). Normally you manage this with a BANK. Part 1 is Bank1, Part 2 is Bank 2, Part 3 is Bank 3... so you need additional to the PC 32 a Bank-Change Command on each Midichannel.

Dont know how this works on other Multiengine-synths.... on a drumsynth like the Norddrum which has 6 Synthparts, you load for example only one PC and all 6 are changed - but that i think is typical for a drummachine.

this is just a thing to consider... when we want to load more then 127PCs and we are using Banks to achive this... and then when people realize that it can transmit PC and then come to conclusio that it doesnt do it the way - which their synth it wants to be...

So maybe a Bank Setup point also which decides between: IndividualBank-Mode(127PCs on 6Parts-Individually   /   Endless Patches Mode(more then 127PCs)

maybe others give some input - about how their synths handles PCs Banks Parts and "over 127PCs"

PS Loopa doing great with Triggermatrix... i love it! 6Loopa Tracks, retriggerd from simple drumpattern, playing 16+ Tonal Drum and Synth Voices....pitched Drums aaaaah...

Love the 2 Footswitches: PUNCH IN!!!!!!   and    ARM

---latenight session already recorded... but no time to cut the footage....EDIT:  already cutting ;)

Edited by Phatline

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I understood there will be another update after the matrix launch (any ETA yet?).

While I use the LoopA more and more, there is one feature missing that continuously holds me back. I am not sure if it has been requested yet, but I can well image a general interest: File/Project Names!! :)

Would be so great if that can be included. A very simple version would do the job, imho. Like one encoder for letter position, one to change character up/down. Maybe even using all four encoders with position, uppercase, lowercase, special character.

Just a thought.

:)

@Karg Thanks a lot! Good idea, and it's already been requested and is on the list! :)

Regarding the expected time line:

a) first, there will be a LoopA software update coming relatively soon (before this holiday season), which will add a few new features that have been requested and which will make the LoopA a lot better at recording previously-unknown loop lengths. This is possible on some other MIDI loopers and also on audio loopers, so it should be nice to have it :). This feature also has limited BPM autodetection, so you could just play in a sequence in the new "autoloop" mode, and LoopA will detect its speed and length :).

b) then there will be the MatriX launch, still hoping for 2020, but it could be still slightly delayed, it's a massive project.

c) then there will be the LoopA update to support the MatriX - i'd expect it around February or March 2021, the LoopA should get good support by the MatriX, it might take a while, but will be worth it - the MatriX can instantly use the SEQ v4+ by the way.

---

Regarding session naming - yes, that feature is already on the list and is already implemented in the file data structure - every session has already internal "space" for a session name.

Note that this will not rename the file itself, as more than 8 characters can be stored. So every session file will still have a number, but can also have an optional additional session name, that you can set and see within LoopA. This also makes old "unnamed" sessions compatible with new ones and you can rename the old ones, once the feature is implemented. This feature will not be in the December update, but it's quite high on the list :).

Have a good day and many greets,
Peter

Hi all, finally started playing with this wonderfull device and it's a joy! I have one simple question, can I change the velocity level of the metronome notes? I made myself a great digital piano with a studiologic sl880 keyboard and a samplerbox with Grand Piano samples. It almost works great...with highest velocity my notes get distorted....I would like to have the metronome much more quiet.

• Like 1

@Elektruck - thanks and cool that you like it, it should bring joy and help with creativity, if it does that, it's a win! :)

I've added your request to the dev wishlist - technically it would be easiest to implement it as a setting in the config screen - we should be able to add it as a later feature without a problem, but it probably won't be in the upcoming v.208 - but we will be able to get it done! :)

Best regards and have a good wintertime!
Peter