Sammich SID MIDI Keyboard problems

Shiftone

Can anyone help me work out why my MIDI Keyboard isn't playing nicely with my sammichSID?

I'm using an Alesis Photon X25 USB MIDI Keyboard - and I've had it work with my Sammich in the past just fine.  It's been a looooong time since I last tinkered with the Sammich and now I can't get it working.

I can get the Sammich into SIDPlayer mode using the Photon X25 interface just fine - so I know the MIDI interface is working and can talk to the Sammich.  As soon as I drop out of SIDPlayer mode I get nothing. Playing the keys does not trigger the Sammich.

I've checked that I'm sending on Ch1 and that my Sammich is defaulting to Ch1 - I can see the note on/off commands flowing in MIDI Monitor.  Not really sure what to check next to try and troubleshoot...?

..and installed a software MIDI keyboard - set it to MIDI Out on the Photon X25 and it triggers the Sammich...

It's crazy, I can watch the Soft keyboard send a C3 note message on MIDI Ch1 and the Sammich triggers. I press C3 on the physical keyboard and nothing - but I see the note on Ch1 in my monitor wtf.

22:58:46.101    From PhotonX25    Note On    1    C3    48
22:58:46.194    From PhotonX25    Note Off    1    C3    0
22:58:57.528    From VMPK Output    Note On    1    C3    100
22:58:57.614    From VMPK Output    Note Off    1    C3    100

Hm, it might be velocity related (keyboard sending velocity 48, the virtual keyboard sends 100):
* which patch are you using on the SammichSID - can you try the init patch?
* can you push a key "read hard" on the Photon? Which velocity do you get then?
* can you remap the Photon velocity curve?

Many greets and have a great sunday!
Peter

3 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Hm, it might be velocity related (keyboard sending velocity 48, the virtual keyboard sends 100):
* which patch are you using on the sammichSID - can you try the init patch?
* can you push a key "read hard" on the Photon? Which velocity do you get then?
* can you remap the Photon velocity curve?

Many greets and have a great sunday!
Peter

Doesn't matter what velocity I get out of the hardware keyboard, I've had over 100 out of it in the MIDI monitor by playing the keys harder.

Testing on the init patch.

More info.  I fired up Ableton Live and mapped MIDI channel 1 as an external instrument. The hardware keyboard is now triggering the Sammich. In the MIDI monitor window the note message is the same as when Ableton isn't running... Still can't understand why the hardware keyboard won't just trigger the synth on its own.

Edited by Shiftone