Sammich kits on eBay -- legit or bootleg?

gatesphere

@dwestbury

I see this is an older thread. So apologies for jumping in this late...

I just built one of these ebay's new sammichSID kits. Voltages are OK,  Core MIDI loopback (shorting PIC TX&RX) is a  pass.... but MIOS Studio will not find the PIC.  I keep getting line after line of  'ff' in the MIOS Studio MIDI input and no lucky in it finding the PIC.  Have you seen this behavior anytime when you built your kit ?

2 hours ago, Pedech said:

@dwestbury

I see this is an older thread. So apologies for jumping in this late...

I just built one of these ebay's new sammichSID kits. Voltages are OK,  Core MIDI loopback (shorting PIC TX&RX) is a  pass.... but MIOS Studio will not find the PIC.  I keep getting line after line of  'ff' in the MIOS Studio MIDI input and no lucky in it finding the PIC.  Have you seen this behavior anytime when you built your kit ?

I never ran into that particular issue, but you nay want to confirm whether your MIDI Interface is on the "whitelist" of supported ones for MIOS..

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=midi_interface_whitelist

Just a follow up that may help someone else in the future…. it worked. 
The crystal that came with my kit was a 12000 mhz while the build instructions indicates a 10000 mhz. I replaced the cristal and it worked.

I had to solder it upside down in the pcb because once I took out the 12000 one, the trails were gone.

Thanks