midiphy SEQ v4+

latigid on

@jingo thanks for your interest, there are qualified builders around, maybe someone will contact you. We will have to get shipping of all parts including the case going first.

But here is the good news: Adrian shipped the final/release version of the lefthand jog/JA case with printed labels to Germany, so we'd expect to be able to provide you with new images of the final unit next week. So we can compare if it came out like the label photoshop mockup provided earlier :).

The next phase is a final "fit-test", to see if everything can be installed nicely, then Adrian can ramp up the production. If all looks good (which is expcted), the v4+ could be under your Xmas trees, we should be able to ship everything essential for the v4+ in November.

Many greets,
Peter 

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

@jingo thanks for your interest, there are qualified builders around, maybe someone will contact you. We will have to get shipping of all parts including the case going first.

But here is the good news: Adrian shipped the final/release version of the lefthand jog/JA case with printed labels to Germany, so we'd expect to be able to provide you with new images of the final unit next week. So we can compare if it came out like the label photoshop mockup provided earlier :).

The next phase is a final "fit-test", to see if everything can be installed nicely, then Adrian can ramp up the production. If all looks good (which is expcted), the v4+ could be under your Xmas trees, we should be able to ship everything essential for the v4+ in November.

Many greets,
Peter 

Hi Hawkeye,

thank you for your fast informations! I really like what I have seen so far. I plan to replace my Squarp Pyramid with the V4+. And one builder already contacted me, we will stay in touch.

Best Regards and good wishes for your work and efforts,

jingo

As a small update to everyone interested - the new v4+ user interface hardware kit as been handed over to TK. today by Andy and myself. He had a look at a completed v4+ (pictures soon!), and will validate the UI boards once again from his side, we want to be sure, that all works nicely before sending out the new kit to users.

I will start filming the construction video tutorial of the UI boards by next week. It will take a while until the tutorial is ready, but we will get there. Meanwhile, Adrian should be able to start production in bigger quantities, as the case looks really good!

Many greets and have a great weekend!
Peter

As promised, new photo session images for your consumption! :)

large.C-SEQ-01f-small.jpg.4543d4cefb910b

large.C-SEQ-01Ra-sma.jpg.1e16dd483c8481f

large.product-sheet-five-s.jpg.a66b64cbc

The first image shows the installed blanking plate, that covers the holes that are necessary for rackmount mode,
The second image shows the new "shade of blue", exactly as we wanted, it came out very nicely from the paint shop, thanks Adrian!
The final image image shows everything in action with a new, maybe more eye-friendly color scheme.
The activity matrix in this picture is currently in "TPD emulation" mode. There might be more modes later on, if we are allowed to add them to the firmware ;-).

Hope you like it, we definitely do! :)

Many greets,
Peter

Thanks guys, all credits go to Andy (for the design), Adrian (for the case) and TK. (for the software)!
Just wanted to inform you that filming of the second part of the video tutorial has finally started. It will still take a bit of time to get to a production length of another estimated 2 hours (or maybe 3 hours with case installation and wiring informations), but we're on it! :) When it's done and published, the UI kits are ready for sale, we're stocked up and received another batch of OLEDs from Taiwan this week.

Have a great weekend!
Many greets, Peter

@Phatline yup, Andy is right, but can't film all the time :), we have the UI kits in stock, but will delay sales until the docu is available.
Also, in parallel @TK. is building an additional UI kit (he received new PCBs and UI parts from us). This way, we want to make sure, that all is perfect before it goes out to you.
Adrian has completed the final case changes and we've verbally committed to a first production run of cases, so i hope it will come all together nicely somewhen in November, when the weather is bad and you want to build stuff! :)

Many greets and have a great weekend,
Peter

hi,

just did build the core-essential kit. was a great building experience. with the video it is almost like somebody is with you all the time giving you a hand. really great tutorial.

hope it was not to hasty to order the mouser list for the UI-Kit that poped up in the shop from time to time :D  ..?

cant wait to build the rest of the kit.

thank you all

a few suggestions:

- removing the two resistors on the MCU Core407V is also pretty easy when conecting both ends of one resistor with a little solder, so you can just wipe them away with the tip of the soldering iron.

- maybe add ribbon cable and pcb connectors to the mouser-bom

Hello,

Glad you liked the tutorial video! Peter deserves a lot of credit for these and he does a fantastic job. 

One of the pin headers is a bit too long. We are looking to replace 929834 with the 929700-01-36-RK part. If you've already ordered, no problems, but you may have to trim the pins a little shorter. It might also work with a standard single-row male pin header of about 6mm in length. 

Apart from that, I don't think there were too many changes in the last while.

Agreed about your technique; I just put a blob of solder on there and cleaned it up after! (they are capacitors) 

The ribbon cable, IDCs, screws, nuts, washers etc. will be done as a separate "BOM" attached somewhere else, such as the case. Work in progress!

Thanks again for the feedback and good job on the PCBs so far.

Best,
Andy

• Like 1

i have finished  going thru the BOOM (making a excel for what i order from lcsc and what from mouser)... there are a couple mouser not in stock with weeks of lead time... (just a note, doesnt matter for me - same for lcsc ... until all is aviable, there will be some other not in stock, while other get in stock again...i understand)

quest: the "517-929836-01-36-RK" (2x72pin header) is it really needet@once? > or is it to cut down to get smaller pin headers? --- i ask because its 3,4€ on a other side i could get e.g. 3x40 for 0,3€ each...

Yeah, it's super difficult to keep track of what's current at Mouser. Often entire supplies of 20k parts just disappear or go end-of-life without much warning. I'll start a new thread and users can post when things are out of stock and Peter or I can update the backend. 

You only need 16 pins x 2 pieces (2x8 right angle header for the displays) so if you can find a cheaper one, go for it! We'll use Mouser as a reference for parts, but many of them could be substituted for cheaper ones. It's just a question of time on your side, extra shipping, things you may have in stock already etc.

EDIT: sorry, I got confused about parts. You need a 2x12 normal pin header; this is to connect the Activity Matrix to lemec_R shift registers. Maybe a shrouded header will fit too, but we'd need to check with the next case rev.

Edited by latigid on

Well :) 

We're waiting on a batch of cases and Peter's tutorial videos, but apart from that...!

You'll notice that practically all parts are listed in the midiphy BOM modules, especially the Core and SEQ UI kits. It should be safe to order, but Mouser normally ships within a few days so you can hold off there too.

Note that there are things there you may already have, such as an SD card and USB cable. It's just for completeness and for "easiest ordering possible." Maybe you still have a stash of IDC headers and ribbon cable etc., so you can remove what you don't need from the Mouser cart. If you like midiphy projects, stock up on SOIC 74HC595 and 74HC165, 1206 100n capacitors etc. as these are used quite often :).

@rosch...soldering and filming again, but the release date might come close towards end of November... (100GB of input video material already of which 30GB need to be shot again, because I made a mistake :)). But Adrian is working on the first batch of cases, and all will be done, we are confident! Also, @TK. is currently also test-building the new UI boards! :)

Many greets and have a great weekend!
Peter

On 2.11.2018 at 1:31 PM, latigid on said:

Well :) 

We're waiting on a batch of cases and Peter's tutorial videos, but apart from that...!

You'll notice that practically all parts are listed in the midiphy BOM modules, especially the Core and SEQ UI kits. It should be safe to order, but Mouser normally ships within a few days so you can hold off there too.

Note that there are things there you may already have, such as an SD card and USB cable. It's just for completeness and for "easiest ordering possible." Maybe you still have a stash of IDC headers and ribbon cable etc., so you can remove what you don't need from the Mouser cart. If you like midiphy projects, stock up on SOIC 74HC595 and 74HC165, 1206 100n capacitors etc. as these are used quite often :).

hi latigid,

do we need anything else from mouser or are these all the parts we need including the case stuff?

thanks

Hello,

The last things to make a BOM for are the sets of screws, washers, spacers. Although these can be bought from Mouser, I think the idea is to provide a set with the case. Especially standoffs (Abstandsbolzen) are super expensive from Mouser. We need to check what parts are supplied by Adrian and what we (or users) need to source themselves.

At least there should be nothing more fancy required from Mouser. The M3 right-angle mounting brackets that are soldered into the MIDI8, I2C and USB PCBs are already associated with those PCBs. The DB-25 connector also has (I think imperial) screws for panel mounting. In the next case rev, the PCB mounting points will be used as well for extra stabilisation, hence we don't quite know the required number and type of standoffs required.

Best,
Andy

I tried to read thru the whole topic, but man was it long ;)

So, one question: How is the participation to join this handled? Am I already late, or is it just starting? This would get me back to the Midibox bandwagon, as my cardbox Midibox SEQv4 is really a pain and I have had it on the shelf for years now :)

Cool that there is active people creating new projects. Very nice indeed 

Edited by Nestle