midiphy SEQ v4+

latigid on

maybe something to try is a plastic sheet in the shape of the bottom board installed -below- the top board with H- shaped cutouts where the switches are, which are bent upwards like wings to lightblock the sides of the switches between body and cap. this sheet could double as isolation sheet between top and bottom pcbs.

12 hours ago, pat_00 said:

Any news on the CV/gate expander?

Andy is back from the states and has access to proper soldering and test equipment again :) Speaking for myself, we have finalized the move to the new house, thus i have more time.
The v4+ modular extension is super high on our list, we are working on it: validation phase next and we need to design the eurorack frontpanels :).

Many greets,
Peter

On 12/03/2019 at 6:24 PM, rbv2 said:

wasn't aware there is an expansion for eurorack in the planning. damn, just ordered the panel for my aout ng + dout. :)

In case you or other MIDIboxers are distracted by social media like I am, we have a midiphy facebook page where we post regular updates such as stock statuses, new designs, news etc.. :wink:

https://www.facebook.com/midiphy

It would be great if members on here could give the page a like to show your support.

Also don't forget to enable the "See First" or "Get Notifications" Option to guarantee your chances of seeing our posts.

On desktop:

Image result for facebook see first

On Mobile, tap the "following" button if available, or the 3 dots button then "following":

Image result for facebook follow see first

Edited by Smithy

Hi there :) , I was about to order the seqv4+ Bom but at mouser they dont have anymore the needed mec switches. i was about to make the same button mod as antichambre (love the black caps) with 5GTH920 but they dont have them also :cry: ,argg no chance for me ! do you know any other place where i can order them ? (in europe as i'm from france)

thanks by advance !

12 hours ago, otropom said:

Merci @Antichambre !, did you use specific led with your mec ? i was about to choose standard 3mm 3.3v led rated for 5000mcd, is it enough bright for this kind of caps ? sorry for my my noob questions ;)

In white 2800mcd 2600mcd was enough for me, but it's a question of taste.

Fichier%2015-03-2019%2012%2026%2014.jpeg

Note: there's a dedicated thread for this subject ;)

BR
Bruno

Edited by Antichambre

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I just finished my Midiphy build and just wanted to share my experience with building this box to you.

- Building is quite easy, i did my build in around 18 hours with a lot of testing etc. between.

- Soldering the SMD parts i did with 0.5 tin and i really recommend using a flux pen for the IC's . It makes the soldering so much cleaner. For the soldering of the IC's i used a Gullwing tip on my iron after looking at this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKHsfTH_PvI ) . This really works and makes it quite easy to do without applying to much heat etc. For the normal soldering i used a thicker tin wire and no flux pen to speed up the job.

- I had some non responsive matthias caps due to soldering problems with the multicolour leds.  Double check that the soldered CC pin really makes a good connection. Resoldering the CC connection solved this very easily.

- I would suggest when you are at the part of building everything in the case use the final firmware with hw file for testing. I first used the Seq_r file but had some strange things. When i used the final firmware i didn't see this occur.

- For the connection of the right board to the matrix board it was suggested to use a 5cm cable but this really is short. There is enough space to use something like 8cm.

- I didn't like the grey 3m 8pin connectors for the cables, they dont sit that tight when connected. When i used some black ones i had lying around they were much better 

- For case screwing i mixed up the screws. I used the small black parker screws in the inside but it is better to put the large screws inside for mounting the panels and the small ones for the outside. 

- When finalizing the case i noticed i got lcd dropouts etc. This was also mentioned in the troubleshooting forum of midiphy. When the case is closed the plastic screen protectors push on the displays a little which is fine but it also pushes the end of the cable to the idc on the back of the screens which might give some kind of shortage. I did some tweaking on the pin headers to get this fixed.

I really really recommend this box for building. The quality is really great, the oleds are superior over my old matrix screens in my other seq4 and the casing is really nicely done. Also the new workflow is really nicely done.

Thanks to tk for this awesome software. Guys from Midiphy, Hawkeye for the perfect detailed videos and all the people who help on this forum and support this beast of a machine. Can't wait to get the CV modular output panel.

Many Greets,

Niels

file2.jpeg

Congratulations on a great build and thanks for the feedback!

On 3/29/2019 at 9:48 AM, enveevee said:

- For the connection of the right board to the matrix board it was suggested to use a 5cm cable but this really is short. There is enough space to use something like 8cm.

Was this in the tutorial video? BOMs "default" to the LH case version for cable lengths, but the recommended cables are fairly okay.

- I didn't like the grey 3m 8pin connectors for the cables, they dont sit that tight when connected. When i used some black ones i had lying around they were much better 

Interesting, as the part series is the same for all IDC female connectors. Maybe a consequence of lesser friction with fewer pins? A little hot glue or fixogum would help here. If there are further complaints/concerns I could look for another part. Do you have the reference/supplier for the one you are using?

- When finalizing the case i noticed i got lcd dropouts etc. This was also mentioned in the troubleshooting forum of midiphy. When the case is closed the plastic screen protectors push on the displays a little which is fine but it also pushes the end of the cable to the idc on the back of the screens which might give some kind of shortage. I did some tweaking on the pin headers to get this fixed.

The cabling is tight indeed. The newer case plate has a small cutout so a right-angled IDC can be used, with the cable running straight down. This will be documented by Peter at some point. Those with older cases can use a piece of kapton tape or similar to isolate the OLED PCB.

Can't wait to get the CV modular output panel.

Nearly there!

48 minutes ago, latigid on said:

Interesting, as the part series is the same for all IDC female connectors. Maybe a consequence of lesser friction with fewer pins? A little hot glue or fixogum would help here. If there are further complaints/concerns I could look for another part.

I can confirm enveevee's observation. Those grey 3M connectors are a very loose fit, causing the tight cables to slip off the pin headers when trying to mount the case. I had to redo this a number of times and ended up Behringer-style: hot-glueing the whole thing.

3 hours ago, latigid on said:

One idea is to try another brand of shrouded header, e.g.

710-61200821621 from Würth

30308-6002HB (the corresponding 3M pin header) is has no stock available, but it might be worth ordering a piece and letting Mouser know :).

I don't think the shrouded header is the problem since it works with another brand of header. This is the header i got the problem with : 517-89124-0101 (8pin) 

Hey, saw these modules posted to reddit this morning. I’m interested in how to hook them up to other MIDIbox projects...specifically MIDIbox SID. I started a thread about it in the SID forum, just posting a link here for greater visibility, since SEQ people might not visit the SID forum often.

http://midibox.org/forums/topic/21065-using-midiphy-eurorack-modules-with-midibox-sid

Edited by jaytee