midiphy SEQ v4+

latigid on

1 hour ago, thresholdpeople said:

Antichambre - your custom mods look fantastic. I'd like to use the same pushbuttons and caps as you. They look really great. Did you have to use a different value resistor to accommodate the different LED?

1 hour ago, thresholdpeople said:

I've been scanning through this thread

Not well ;)

For the leMec, colors are blue and red with suggested 47 Ohms

Have a good build!

Edited by Antichambre

Yep, I saw those posts. I went ahead and ordered the same switches, switch caps, and VCC LEDs you linked to, but for the white TH LEDs - since they're different than the SMD one originally specified - did you need to change the series resistor?

Thanks for making all that info so readily available, too. It's been great for me to dig through and order the same parts. 

The diffusers you made for the beat clock LED are awesome too. I may try to rig up something like that. How did you fixture the acrylic when machining it? I also have a bunch of LED lenses laying around, may try to see if one of those will fit the hole.. or maybe I'll enlarge the hole to allow them to fit.  

21 hours ago, thresholdpeople said:

I'll enlarge the hole to allow them to fit.

Don't do that you will remove the painting!!!
Plastic is smoother than metal it will fit if you respect a 5mm diameter, thickness of the top should be, 1,2 to flush the surface.

but for the white TH LEDs - since they're different than the SMD one originally specified

I never specified any SMD model, the 5GTH920 hasn't any LED, LEDs have to be ordered separately.

did you need to change the series resistor?

No.

How did you fixture the acrylic when machining it?

With some screw.

Edited by Antichambre

Just now, Antichambre said:

I never specified any SMD model, the 5GTH920 hasn't any LED, LEDs have to be ordered separately

Sorry, yes, I understand that. I ordered the same VCC LEDs you had specified in that earlier post. But the original pushbuttons selected by Midiphy - the 3FTH9 - use a different LED than the ones you selected to fit the 5GTH920, right?

And since they do use a different LED than the VCC VAOL-3MWY4 you selected, I'm assuming the current draw or voltage requirements may be different. So my my question was meant to be if you replaced the series resistor to that LED from the originally specified one.

Sorry I clearly need to go through the BOM and build documentation to check to see which LEDs are supposed to be there on the stock build, and I can check the datasheet and compare the voltage and current requirements for the originals and the ones you selected, but I just figured since you had documented everything else if there was indeed a resistor swap that needed to happen, I'd have rather anticipated it than need to make a note to test or check.

2 hours ago, thresholdpeople said:

Sorry, yes, I understand that. I ordered the same VCC LEDs you had specified in that earlier post. But the original pushbuttons selected by Midiphy - the 3FTH9 - use a different LED than the ones you selected to fit the 5GTH920, right?

And since they do use a different LED than the VCC VAOL-3MWY4 you selected, I'm assuming the current draw or voltage requirements may be different. So my my question was meant to be if you replaced the series resistor to that LED from the originally specified one.

Sorry I clearly need to go through the BOM and build documentation to check to see which LEDs are supposed to be there on the stock build, and I can check the datasheet and compare the voltage and current requirements for the originals and the ones you selected, but I just figured since you had documented everything else if there was indeed a resistor swap that needed to happen, I'd have rather anticipated it than need to make a note to test or check.

I'm using these mec Switches/caps also, you dont need to modify anything . Simply use standard leds (3.3v) and you're good.

Edited by otropom
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the beast! It was my second diy project and after few hours of hard soldering I can finally enjoy this crazy sequencer !

Big up to Hawkeye for his videos, latigid on for support and TK to make us enjoy the midibox seq :) I was largely inspired by Bruno's mods (thanks for Sharing !) . just have to find a solution to correct the light leak between switches (Big problem imho) / wooden cheeks and everything will perfect ^^

PS : what s/n i should label it ?

IMG_20190608_230139.jpg

IMG_20190608_233527.jpg

IMG_20190608_234719.jpg

IMG_20190604_221832.jpg

Edited by otropom
  • Like 3

Just spent a while researching hardware sequencers to get creative with and found this project. Amazing, props to everyone who has contributed to it. I'm in two minds about building it. Looks like a nice challenge but also short of time for hobbies at the moment. Are there people on this forum who do building for others?

1 hour ago, oliq said:

Are there people on this forum who do building for others?

i had a fiew people that wanted me to make one... but when i wrote them a  realistic price the run away.... 

so i learned....if you send me all the parts i can assembly and solder the project for you...(sourcing parts isnt a big problem here with mouser parts list anyway - the project is really good documentaded)

to shift hundrets of teuros from bank to bank is notca very good idea...

i take 20€/h and can give you for that time a honorar note for it (as a free artist for a other artist for building a music device) thats the same ammount i charge for drawings and shooting photos or other arts. best mike.

16 hours ago, Phatline said:

i had a fiew people that wanted me to make one... but when i wrote them a  realistic price the run away.... 

so i learned....if you send me all the parts i can assembly and solder the project for you...(sourcing parts isnt a big problem here with mouser parts list anyway - the project is really good documentaded)

to shift hundrets of teuros from bank to bank is notca very good idea...

i take 20€/h and can give you for that time a honorar note for it (as a free artist for a other artist for building a music device) thats the same ammount i charge for drawings and shooting photos or other arts. best mike.

Thanks, that's kind of you. Will DM. Just watching the videos and seeing if my skills are up to it!

@otropom Great build! Congrats! The serial number is difficult to say, as not everyone reported back here to properly count :).

So, i'd suggest that anyone that built a v4+ can upload a proof of build (poidh :)) here and then claim the next serial number :).

Let me recap the history from this thread:

SEQ v4+ Serial Numbers (by "visual proof of build" :))

@TK. #1 (first prototype counts)
@Hawkeye #2
@rbv2 #3
@Antichambre #4
@Elektruck #5
@CJ55 #6
@Menzman #7
@southpole#8
@Menzman #9
@enveevee#10
@gotkovsky#11
@otropom#12
@niles#13 (pic uploaded in troubleshooting thread)

If i did count wrong somewhere, plz correct :)

Have a happy weekend, have fun building and many greets!
Peter

PS: @latigid on is so busy designing new stuff, that he had no time to claim his serial number yet, maybe we should assign him serial number #1.5 as he did most work on this project!

Hi all! 

Another Midiphy build here!

Biggest DIY project I have done so far, but thanks to Hawkeye's video's it was really enjoyable and rewarding from start to finish! Everything feature I have tested so far seems to be working fine.

Only real damage I managed to cause was ruining one through hole when I had to remove a ribbon cable socket, but that was luckily easy enough to find and fix. 

Had some trouble during final assembly as the grey ribbon cable connectors/socket were pretty loose and kept coming off when trying to put everything together. Replaced with tighter ones and everything was fine.

Huge thanks to everyone who has made this great piece of kit possible, Can't wait to really learn this machine!

All the best,

Keel

PS: Would my serial number be #14? :)

midbox_seq_v4+.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 4:58 AM, Antichambre said:

copier! ;)
fine you received it :)

For the light leak just paint in the sides of the switches with a permanent black marker, this should be enough.

Have a good WE
Bruno

I colored the sides of all of the switches with black permanent marker and it seems to work great with the windowed keycaps.