dipCoreF4 and dipBoardF4, a compact Core.

Antichambre

fetch.php?media=antichambre:1809_dipcore                                  fetch.php?w=500&tok=b59296&media=anticha  

dipBoardF4_and_dipCoreF4_banner.png?raw=

fetch.php?media=antichambre:1809_dipcore                                  fetch.php?w=500&tok=7333c9&media=anticha

Hello,

This is about a new STM32F4 mbhp, a very compact one.

This concept is an answer to these three topics:

I tried to draw the most compact core and mbhp board.
It's an STM32F405RG instead of the regular 407VG. The 405RG is the smallest package of the M4 Series, this is a LQFP64, a 10x10mm package with only 64 pins.
Because these two Processor are from the same family, we don't need deep changes in MIOS32. They have exactly the same functions, memory, speed and peripherals.

I put the STM32F4 on a DIP-40 format pcb, in order to get a core that can also replace a PIC in some application, I strongly think of my sammichSid. At the same time it must provide the legacy functions and ports of MIOS32 of course.

Some compromise have been made in comparison to a 407VG mbhp.
- Only 2 MIDI I/O.
- J15, the LCD port is now a serial one only(SSD13xx).
- No more general purpose port J10x.

This is the list of the 'remaining' ports and changes.

- J1A and J1B are the USB and Power ports, J1A is compatible with latigid on's USB wCore module. J1B can be a common header on top or a Micro-Match connector on bottom to stack another board under.
- J4 is a dual I2C connector, I put both on the same connector to save space.
- J5 is a 2 channels only ADC, they can be used for expression pedal input for example.
- J8/9 and J19 stay the Legacy 5V SPI ports, the dipCoreF4 includes the octal buffer(74HCT541);
- J11 is now a 6pin and 2 MIDI I/O port.
- J16E is the 3.3V SPI port, commonly dedicated to the SD Card it is compatible with latigid on's RES-SD modules. it is extended by the Reset input, the user button and 2 outputs for LEDs.
- J18 has changed, it is now able to connect a CAN tranceiver, but stay compatible with the MBNET connection.

fetch.php?t=1535625921&w=500&h=353&tok=c

About the dimension, the ensemble is very compact 65x46mm, but the Core can be used alone and measures 51x17.8mm.

fetch.php?media=antichambre:1808_dipboar                  fetch.php?media=antichambre:1808_dipcore

A 3D view of the ensemble(sorry this is not a render, I shoot the screen):

You will find some more information on the dokuwiki, dipCoreF4 and dipBoardF4

Feel free to ask me question or give me any constructive criticism.

I will order some board very soon,
if some want to participate in the tests they are welcome, just contact me. I will provide the beta boards for free I just ask you to play the game and seriously help me to improve it ;)

Thank you
Best regards
Bruno

PS: sorry for my English as usual ;)

Edited by Antichambre

Just now, Phatline said:

I converted your Eagle Library to Kicad Library (with  eagle-lbr2kicad-1.0.ulp)

dipCoreF4_beta_kicad.zip

not tested on any PCB-Fabrication yet... so be careful (i use kicad 5)

Seems fine, great!
Think to set 3V3 Power supply pins as Output type! To avoid any mistake. VBUS(5V) is an Input type of course.

Edited by Antichambre

Just now, Antichambre said:

Seems fine, great!
Think to set 3V3 Power supply pins as Output type! To avoid any mistake. VBUS(5V) is an Input type of course.

ok, done i replaced the file above.

They where set as

3,3V and GND was Current-INPUT   -  I changed them to Current-OUTPUT,

and

VBUS   was BIDIRICTIONAL - now they are set as    Current-INPUT

25 minutes ago, Antichambre said:

Seems fine, great!

Maybe i am wrong - but i miss PB2 for SD-Card (maybe i am blind, i dont see it)

PB2-dipcore.thumb.png.85df48f9ab656e93be

at least you told me how to connect it right on the DiscoBoard see this:

but maybe you changed the PinOut on MIOS-Side - and this is one of the changes ( if then - please say wher to connect "CD/DAT3" to DipCore

thx mike

48 minutes ago, Phatline said:

but maybe you changed the PinOut on MIOS-Side - and this is one of the changes ( if then - please say wher to connect "CD/DAT3" to DipCore

Right! Refer to this chart for changes:
fetch.php?media=antichambre:pinout_compa

For easier routing PB2 was replaced by PA4, in MIOS32 side also.

42 minutes ago, Phatline said:

the DIP-CORE is made to be Powered Up by micro USB only    - so: i dont need to integrate a Power-Jumper anywhere in my Design?

Not USB only, you can use external 5V connected to VBUS on Pin44 or on J1A or J1B of dipBoardF4.

I'm currently preparing an USB board where VBUS from type B connector(device mode) is switched off when VIN(external power) is present...

Best
Bruno

Edited by Antichambre

PB2 > PA4  = SD-Card Dat3   >>>   OK thx for INFO.

as i am currently redesign my CC-Looper-Circuit/PCB... i have (maybe) a last question:

? where to take +5V on the DipCore32 -  to powering for example 165/595 registers?    -   you sayd VBUS is input, so i assume i dont get it from there?

thx 4 info

A Note:

In Kicad you cant connect: on one Component, multiple Power-Outputs, to a single 3,3V plane...

you have to make then two seperate planes for your connected Components like "+3,3a" and "+3,3b"

or

change in the Component one of the 3,3V Outputs to bi-directional (for example - so there is no confligt in designrule-check)

or

you dont connect anything on the second Power-Output (but that would eliminate the Routing Benifit of a "Air wire" over the dipcore...)

Just now, Phatline said:

? where to take +5V on the DipCore32 -  to powering for example 165/595 registers?    -   you sayd VBUS is input, so i assume i dont get it from there?

From the same external source where you connect VBUS of the dipCoreF4, Simply see it like a component, you've got to supply it in 5V and it will provide you the 3.3V. The Core is the 3.3V regulation too(this is not different to the others cores).
Remember, there's a 74HCT541 onboard, all J8/9 and J19 output pins are in 5V. Usually this level shifter is on the mbhp, but here the Core is dedicated to MIOS32 then I put the 541 directly on it.

Just now, Phatline said:

In Kicad you cant connect: on one Component, multiple Power-Outputs, to a single 3,3V plane...

You can't internally connect to physical pins to the same signal? Strange, but I can't help on this, I don't know Kicad.

Edited by Antichambre

Just now, Antichambre said:

From the same external source where you connect VBUS of the dipCoreF4, Simply see it like a component, you've got to supply it in 5V and it will provide you the 3.3V.
Remember, there's a 74HCT541 onboard, all J8/9 and J19 output pins are in 5V. Usually this level shifter is on the mbhp, but here the Core is dedicated to MIOS32 then I put the 541 directly on it.

i know that the HCT541 is onboard, i already connected the 165 and 595 datalines...that was no problem.

i dont know what you mean-it is not clear for me: with the VBUS and external source... > i want to plugin a USB-Cable, and power my Core and the J8/9 with it

* i dont use a Dip-Expansion-Mother-Board - i plug the DipCore into a UI-PCB where all shiftregisters and all other components are already on it.

* a simple example Circuit: a 595 and 6n136 are connected to the DIP-Core, where do they get 5V? (from the VBUS-Pin? is this the source?)

example.thumb.png.135cb0bdaf2d87d16ba5f0

thx 4 help

In the dipCoreF4 the internal plane 1 is divided like this:
fetch.php?media=antichambre:1809_dipcore

Between VBUS and internal +5V there's a PTC fuse F1 which protect VBUS from over-current.
1809_dipCoreF4.beta_docu_usb_pwr.png?raw

You can use VBUS(Pin44) as output and supply your App PCB from dipCore USB. But F1 will not protect VBUS from your APP board 5V load.
I didn't think it like that, in your case, you will design a dedicated box for your CC looper UI-PCB then you will put an USB connector or an external power somewhere on that box. And in this case you're not obliged to use and solder the dipCoreF4 USB. The dipCoreF4 is like a component and your UI-PCB provides the 5V to it.

Edited by Antichambre

- to bad that you not connected a single Pin on the 5V area...

to understand that right:

* you use dipcore like a PIC18 - a PIC back in the days needet external power     (but a pic also has no usb connector on it ;) and more then  40pins  )

* on the dipcore is a usb-socket - but you dont want to power the dipboard with that USB (and all J8/9...).

* on the dipboardf4 is no usb-socket - and you power your modules and the dipcore with dipboard, the 5V you need - you get from a Walladapter connected to Pinheader... or you wire a external USB-Modul on dipboard (but as you wrote, the usb dont get better over 10angels...) .

instead of

routing USB over several connectors and traces, and by doing so - reducing my Space for Rear Connections on my Main-PCB

i

will solder a wire to R3 and connect it to my motherboard, nasty, but when i read your shematic right - it will do the the job.

Hi Mike,

8 hours ago, Phatline said:

- to bad that you not connected a single Pin on the 5V area...

I do not see what is the point, when I have the same voltage on VBUS or somewhere outside and it makes me loose some pin.

* you use dipcore like a PIC18 - a PIC back in the days needet external power     (but a pic also has no usb connector on it ;) and more then  40pins  )

Humm, yes but this is not a primary features, this is sized for MIOS32 before everything. Using the dipcore in an existing mios8 app will obviously need some adaptation, put I tried to make sure to have the least to do.
Example for a sammichSID, Screen will be changed and connected directly to the dipcore, 5V from sammich pcb will be connected to VBUS(pin44), 3V3 of the dipcore will be not connected, etc...

* on the dipcore is a usb-socket - but you dont want to power the dipboard with that USB (and all J8/9...).

Of course you can power the dipboard with that USB, I add another PTC Fuse on the dipBoard for that specific configuration e.g. in development mode.

on the dipboardf4 is no usb-socket - and you power your modules and the dipcore with dipboard, the 5V you need - you get from a Walladapter connected to Pinheader... or you wire a external USB-Modul on dipboard

Yes like any existing 32 bit mbhp.

but as you wrote, the usb dont get better over 10angels...)

I don't understand :blush:

Edited by Antichambre

hi.

since i need a few Extra LEDs to light up the UI, i was searching for the Onboard GPIO - i found PC6+PC7 > perfect.

> on DipCore PC6+PC7 you handle as LED (DOUT) - how to call them in MIOS? > as Board LEDS? aka "MIOS32_BOARD_LED_Set(0,1);" ) > see http://www.midibox.org/mios32/manual/group___m_i_o_s32___b_o_a_r_d.html#ga46e21f1170f1876435f40d65977c6a83

> the PTC you used on DipCore what SMD Package is it? ( i want take the same as on DipCore... dont want to buy 2 different parts)

> since i will be ready soon with the cc_looper - will order Protoboards for it the next days - i assume nothing changed on the Pinout of the DipCore until now > so i can order?

have a nice weekend - mike

Edited by Phatline