new to midibox, sourcing parts from mouser help

terrorboss

Hi Rob,

Welcome. First question: are you building the MidiBox SID from scratch, or are you building the MB6582 variant? I personally recommend building the MB6582. You can purchase the main board PCB and control PCB from modularaddict.com, and it makes everything very easy. If you look at http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=wilba_mb_6582_parts_list, you can get the list of parts. A while back, I edited a bunch of the wiki pages to add Mouser numbers, but I don't have access to the Wilba pages.

I can probably pull up my Mouser order from a year ago and post that if you would like.

Justin

• Like 1

You might want to think about buying parts from reichelt. The shipping is terrible if you are in the US but the component prices are so much better. If you are putting in a big enough order you will still save a good bit. They also stock better options on audio grade caps. Styroflex and Wilma. If you do go this route I would recommend getting a few extra of really common parts to have on hand as well. Mouser and digikey are nice to order from but you will pay a lot more per component but the shipping is fast and cheap. Worth the comparison especially if you are looking to build something bigger like the 6582.

• Like 1

For cheaper parts with cheap shipping to US, I like Tayda (very cheap, regularly has 15% sales announced on Facebook, easy to order common parts like resistors and caps, but sometimes low quality, no-name parts), and I’ve been digging Arrow lately too (free shipping, often has lower prices on same parts as Mouser, only downside is hilariously wasteful packaging).

• Like 1