Couple Filter Questions

wicked1

I just got my mb6582 out, after about 6 years of disuse.  It had a few issues I tracked down to broken wires and bad connections in IC sockets.  All that's fixed.
I'm having a few issues w/ my filters.
Edit- solved my first issue.. Filter wasn't giving me the full frequency range.  Apparently I had to calibrate it in the ENS menu, for an external filter that is not currently attached.

2nd question, I have mostly 6582's, but have a pair of 6581 SID's on one core, and when I enable the filter on them, there is a loud hiss.  If I disable the filter, it's got the usual background noise all the SID's have.  But the as soon as I click the button to enable the filter for the oscillators, the hiss gets loud. (Ext in is not enabled).  Is this normal for 6581's? 

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by wicked1

7 minutes ago, wicked1 said:

I figured out the 2nd issue too.. 
My 12v line was about .5v low.  I added some capacitance after the rectifier and it increased the voltage a little.  Now the 6581 performs as it should.

"Because capacitors store energy, they can increase the apparent voltage in some circuits. Capacitors can reduce peak current demands on power sources by providing stored energy during peak loads that would cause voltage from the power source to drop. It is not a property of a capacitor to increase voltage by itself."
After 6 years you maybe have to change the original caps without adding some, they have a limited life time depending on their quality.

Best
Bruno

Urg..  I'll be doing a lot of repairing for quite a while, I think.. Many old projects and even commercial gear that's all showing its age.  Somehow sitting in storage was worse for it all than being thrown in my truck and driven to venues every weekend.

I've got a huge modular I built between 10-20 years ago, and it's full of glitches.  That's going to be a nightmare to fix.   All caps age, but there was a problem w/ the electrolyte they were using 15-20 years ago and those things failed in everything..  From commercial products like computers and tv's, to DIY stuff like my modular..    At least electrolytic caps are big and easy to find and replace.   I'm getting too old to work w/ SMD stuff :(.  Vision and steady hands are a thing of the past. 
Ageing is a b*tch, for me and caps....
I used cheap sockets for all the IC's in all my old projects, too, and those have gotten oxide layers or something and need to be cleaned or replaced, too :(

Yeah machines, it's like cars, you have to make them work sometimes. I have a supernova II in rack that I have not switch on for a long time, it was already a bit fragile especially its DAC and I'm a little afraid to turn it on now. I try to avoid humidity but in my area the south west of France the climate is oceanic so I put silica to absorb, I empty 2 litre of water every two months, my region was a swamp 150 years ago here it is better to put the setup in the attic than in the basement. Hard to fight against that.

Edited by Antichambre