Troubleshooting midiphy SEQ v4+

latigid on

58 minutes ago, niles said:

Thank you - I wasn't sure how much of that cable I'd need for this kit and was hesitant to tear it apart. 

@niles welcome to MIDIbox! :)

For the Core kit, you will need pieces of 10cm, 20cm, 30cm and 40cm of 10-pin ribbon wire. (Core to MIDI8, LineTX, I2C and USB)
For the Core kit, you will need 40cm of 16-pin ribbon wire (Core to SD Card)
For the UI kit, you will need 7.5cm, 10cm and 2x20cm of 10-pin ribbon wire (SRIO bus through LeMECs, JA and LineTX)
For the UI kit, you will need 25cm and 30cm of 16-pin ribbon wire (2x OLED Displays)
And you need a 35cm split 16/8 pin ribbon wire (requiring 24 pins) to connect the new Activity Matrix displays (on JA) to LeMEC R.

@gotkovsky - the waveshare board should be pushed onto the wCore PCB headers, so that the distance of the wCore underside is not more than 20mm (it needs to be installed on 20mm hex spacers in the case). If you don't manage to see the MIDI ports in MacOS, could you send us high-res photos of front and backside of the wCore PCB, so that we could have a look?

As i saw, Andy was a bit quicker answering, he is younger and faster, hehe! Have a great weekend y'all! :)
Many greets,
Peter

Just now, latigid on said:

Did you use the drop-down menu to select a MIDI port?

Check all jumper settings and try to use the onboard USB micro to connect to your computer.

Yes, no other options than << none >> on the dropdown menu. I also tried with the micro USB, the Waveshare is still powered (VBUS is lit) but doesn't show up.

@gotkovsky

please also read my recommendation above. Another test you could do is pull the waveshare daughterboard off, switch its "powered-by" jumper from 5V in to USB mode and connect it without the wCore to your MAC using a mini USB cable. If that works (which is likely), then the problem is on the wCore somewhere, we'd need said hi-res pics, then.

Good luck!
Peter

13 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

@gotkovsky - the waveshare board should be pushed onto the wCore PCB headers, so that the distance of the wCore underside is not more than 20mm (it needs to be installed on 20mm hex spacers in the case). If you don't manage to see the MIDI ports in MacOS, could you send us high-res photos of front and backside of the wCore PCB, so that we could have a look?

Ok, the headers were just not pushed enough, I just gave it a good push and now everything works fine… not the first time that I feel like the dumbest dude on planet earth on this project ;)

I'm surprised about how much force we need to apply on those so-small pieces sometimes. Anyway, thanks latigid on and Peter for the super fast replies as usual, you guys are the best.

Wish you a great day (as sunny as mine in France)

K

Edited by gotkovsky

58 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

@niles welcome to MIDIbox! :)

Thank you, @Hawkeye!

@gotkovsky I know you got it running (awesome) but in case anyone else has a 'not found' issue in MIOS studio, I had the really large USB switch set wrong - the one between OTG and regular USB mode. Once I switched that it showed up fine. 

On a side note, I definitely appreciate the multiple, smaller PCBs vs one or two huge ones. I did a NAVA build a year ago and that took seemingly forever and was just too unwieldy. 

Lastly, I was able to load the project.hex file posted from Hawkeye in an earlier post, but is there a newer, official build by TK for this?  I have been looking and only found the SVN, no idea how to compile..was hoping the latest firmware binary would just be able to download somewhere obvious. I have a ways to go in this build and can only work a little bit at a time so I'm not too worried right now. However, if there is a seq v4+ firmware version specific to this kit, might be helpful if it's available on the midiphy page. Just a suggestion.

1 hour ago, niles said:

Lastly, I was able to load the project.hex file posted from Hawkeye in an earlier post, but is there a newer, official build by TK for this?  I have been looking and only found the SVN, no idea how to compile..was hoping the latest firmware binary would just be able to download somewhere obvious. I have a ways to go in this build and can only work a little bit at a time so I'm not too worried right now. However, if there is a seq v4+ firmware version specific to this kit, might be helpful if it's available on the midiphy page. Just a suggestion.

The latest official firmware files are available from http://ucapps.de/mios32_download.html. There is also a thread where "pre-releases" are sometimes available:

I would prefer to keep firmware in one location. I added the link to the parent page on midiphy.com, but unfortunately I'm not clever enough to make it clickable. Perhaps Peter can sort it out ;)

Hello!

I just had weird issues testing LeMec PCBs. Basically, as soon as I ‘set debug on’, MIOS Studio detects erratic button actions, as pasted here:

[84691.903] [MBNG_LCD] no response from CLCD #1.1
[84691.903] [MBNG_LCD] no response from CLCD #2.1
[84691.904] [MBNG_FILE_C] Event Pool Number of Items: 348
[84691.904] [MBNG_FILE_C] Event Pool Allocation: 12250 of 65536 bytes (18%)
[84691.924] Patch 'seq_l' loaded from SD Card!
[84691.932] [MBNG_FILE_R] /seq_l.NGR (optional run script) not found
[84741.581] set debug on
[84741.584] Debug mode turned on
[84741.586] MBNG_DIN_NotifyToggle(69, 0)
[84741.586] No event assigned to BUTTON hw_id=69
[84741.598] MBNG_DIN_NotifyToggle(69, 0)
[84741.598] No event assigned to BUTTON hw_id=69
[84741.608] MBNG_DIN_NotifyToggle(69, 1)
[84741.608] No event assigned to BUTTON hw_id=69
[84741.618] MBNG_DIN_NotifyToggle(69, 0)
[84741.618] No event assigned to BUTTON hw_id=69
[84741.629] MBNG_DIN_NotifyToggle(69, 1)
[84741.629] No event assigned to BUTTON hw_id=69
[84741.639] MBNG_DIN_NotifyToggle(69, 0)
[84741.639] No event assigned to BUTTON hw_id=69
[84741.651] MBNG_DIN_NotifyToggle(69, 0)
[84741.651] No event assigned to BUTTON hw_id=69
[84741.661] MBNG_DIN_NotifyToggle(69, 1)
[84741.661] No event assigned to BUTTON hw_id=69
[84741.671] MBNG_DIN_NotifyToggle(69, 0)
[84741.671] No event assigned to BUTTON hw_id=69
[84741.682] MBNG_DIN_NotifyToggle(69, 1)
[84741.682] No event assigned to BUTTON hw_id=69

I didn't include everything as the data flow seems infinite, sorry for the long scroll, I don't know how to make this as expandable text.

So I took apart the PCBs, inspected everything, reflowed all the joints, but that didn't change anything. Should also say that JA PCB works fine and has been tested as shown in Peter's video tutorial.

Here's links to hi-res pictures of the PCBs: 
https://imgur.com/6pDz8Hr
https://imgur.com/K9tGJiE
https://imgur.com/4AysPiy
https://imgur.com/HFG2OFQ
https://imgur.com/nNya3EN
https://imgur.com/cYjZHBN
https://imgur.com/i7sBJC6
https://imgur.com/v05FspA

Does someone has any ideas of what could be wrong? Hope someone can help because I'm stuck — once again :)

Thanks in advance!

1_back.jpg

1_front.jpg

2_back.jpg

2_front.jpg

3_back.jpg

3_front.jpg

4_back.jpg

4_front.jpg

Edited by gotkovsky
Shortened code info, and adding lo-res images directly to the forum

1. Please edit the post to not include such a long string of DIN messaages. A few lines will suffice. 

2. Please upload the images to the forum so others can be helped when the offsite links no longer work. 

The typical error here is an incorrect part or soldering for the 10k resistor network on the JA board (see previous posts in this thread). 

1 hour ago, latigid on said:

1. Please edit the post to not include such a long string of DIN messaages. A few lines will suffice. 

2. Please upload the images to the forum so others can be helped when the offsite links no longer work. 

The typical error here is an incorrect part or soldering for the 10k resistor network on the JA board (see previous posts in this thread). 

Sorry about that, just edited my post!

1 hour ago, latigid on said:

Are the 10-pin resistor networks soldered? 

Yes, I tried to reflow all of them, checked for shorts or anything else but I'm still having the same issues.

Just now, gotkovsky said:

Sorry about that, just edited my post!

Yes, I tried to reflow all of them, checked for shorts or anything else but I'm still having the same issues.

lemec_rear.thumb.jpg.ae900a18ca15bf0b893

lemec_front.thumb.jpg.4dd8685f751f312df2

I'm pretty sure your problem is that these parts are not installed. Make sure that you do have bussed resistor networks (9 resistors, not 5 resistors) and align the dot with the marking on the PCB (ask if you are unsure).

• Like 1

No problem. From your SMT soldering and parts placement it looks like you've taken a lot of care with the build. Some of the THT pins look like they might benefit from a bit more solder, so make sure you have a proper solder filet from the pad to the pin. Could be the light/angle of the photo though. 

18 minutes ago, latigid on said:

No problem. From your SMT soldering and parts placement it looks like you've taken a lot of care with the build. Some of the THT pins look like they might benefit from a bit more solder, so make sure you have a proper solder filet from the pad to the pin. Could be the light/angle of the photo though. 

Thanks, will definitely do it!

Have a nice week-end,

K

Hello all,

I'm coming close to an end on the V4+ build, and just had a question regarding its power requirements.
I'd like to power the SEQ without any computer, using the USB hub and a regular 5V/1A phone USB plug, if possible. I've read on the forum that MBSEQV4 power comsuption doesn't exceed 1A, is that still the same with the V4+?
Also, in the tutorial video (that I'm following closely), Peter says at 2:11:55 to jumper J15_S on the wCore PCB to 3.3V. Should I still do that if I power my V4+ with a 5V phone adapter? Or should I jumper J15_S to 5V?

Hope someone can help, thanks in advance again!

Edited by gotkovsky

1 hour ago, gotkovsky said:

Also, in the tutorial video (that I'm following closely), Peter says at 2:11:55 to jumper J15_S on the wCore PCB to 3.3V. Should I still do that if I power my V4+ with a 5V phone adapter? Or should I jumper J15_S to 5V?

J15 sets the OLED voltage, which should always be 3v3.

1 hour ago, gotkovsky said:

I'm coming close to an end on the V4+ build, and just had a question regarding its power requirements.
I'd like to power the SEQ without any computer, using the USB hub and a regular 5V/1A phone USB plug, if possible. I've read on the forum that MBSEQV4 power comsuption doesn't exceed 1A, is that still the same with the V4+?

54 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Thats a good question actually! 

I wonder if Peter or Andy have a USB "doctor" stick to test, they're really quite handy.

Peter's done it with a USB power bank. I think the total draw was 0.8A or less, but best for Peter to check in.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 11:21 PM, Hawkeye said:

@pat_00 if you don't have access to a hot air rework station (which would be the recommended way to do it), you could try to clip off pin by pin with very fine pincers and then desolder/drag away the pin remains with your soldering iron. This obviously destroys the ICs, but should not be too stressful for the PCB. But as Andy wrote, hot air desoldering should minimize the risk to lift any pads - after warming up the target area, the IC should fall right off :).

Many greets and good luck!
Peter

Thanks for the advice!

I replaced them without too much hassle using hot air. Might have slightly damaged pad 1 on IC1A, but it looks OK for now.

If you don't measure continuity from 0V (ground) to the pin, you can run a bodge wire as shown. This is viewed from the rear of the board. The via is tented, so the pin on the 2x25 header might be better, but you'll have to go around to the other side of the PCB (the headers are on the same side as the IC).

5c99bf440b5d3_IC1Abodge.JPG.3a786fa480a9

@gotkovsky 

Yes, you can run it from a good 5V/1A USB supply. I have a USB Power meter (just as @Smithy posted), and the v4+ current use hovers around 0.5-0.6A during normal use.

On a sidenote, make sure you have a good power supply, if you experience reboots or dropouts, exchange it for another one - i tried to attach one SEQ v4+ and two LoopAs (all have about the same current draw) to a nominally 5V/3A rated PSU on a powered USB hub and experienced reboots - using the power meter i measured it all up and and the 5V rail dropped to 4.5V :) - another lesson learned, do not assume the PSU power capabilities label on the backside is correct - my cheap PSU could not even reliably supply 1.5A as indicated by the power meter :).

Many greets,
Peter

Hi Guys,

I am almost finished with building the midiphy but I have a last issue. 

When creating the chain with the 2 boards and the matrix the following happens.

In picture 1 I am creating a chain with the matrix first. then the left board and then the right. Testing with seq_l is perfect

In picture 2 which is the config I need I create a chain with the left board first, then the right board and then the matrix and then I got some weird things like the left board showing all lights and the matrix all lights and the right board does nothing at all. It is stalling all operations and set debug on does not give any input anymore.

Any idea what is going on? 

Many greets,

Niels

unnamed-2.thumb.png.85ff1d6ded7add616f69

unnamed-2-2.thumb.png.d8251287ab37f6b915

Having issue with the SD card - I have Midibox NG v1.036 loaded, it shows up in MIOS Studio. I have an SD card with SEQ_L.NGC inserted but when I try the 'load seq_l' command I get this:

[177771.636] load seq_l
[177774.657] [disk_initialize] error while checking for SD Card (status 0)
[177774.658] [disk_read] error while reading sector 0
[177774.658] [FILE] Failed to open root directory - error status: 1
[177774.658] [disk_initialize] error while checking for SD Card (status 0)
[177774.658] [disk_initialize] error while checking for SD Card (status 0)
[177774.658] [FILE] Failed to open root directory - error status: 1
[177774.659] [disk_initialize] error while checking for SD Card (status 0)
[177774.659] [disk_read] error while reading sector 0
[177774.659] [FILE] Failed to open root directory - error status: 1
[177774.660] [disk_read] error while reading sector 0
[177774.660] [FILE] Failed to open root directory - error status: 1
[177774.660] [disk_initialize] error while checking for SD Card (status 0)
[177774.660] [disk_initialize] error while checking for SD Card (status 0)
[177774.660] [FILE] Failed to open root directory - error status: 1
[177774.666] ERROR: failed to load patch 'seq_l' on SD Card (status -1)!
[177774.678] [disk_initialize] error while checking for SD Card (status 0)
[177774.678] [disk_read] error while reading sector 0
[177774.678] [disk_initialize] error while checking for SD Card (status 0)
[177774.678] [disk_read] error while reading sector 0
[177774.678] [FILE] Failed to open root directory - error status: 1
[177774.678] [MBNG_FILE_R] /seq_l.NGR (optional run script) not found

If I restart the core and MIOS studio without an SD card it says SD Card Not Found, so I assume it's not the cable? I'll admit the polarity of these IDC cables are giving me confusion for some reason, despite the videos haha. But I think I got that ok.

I've tried a bunch of different cards, not sure what to do next. Any idea what I should try next?