Troubleshooting midiphy SEQ v4+

latigid on

Try to format the card, I think FAT8 is the best. Then try again. 

If you've used shrouded headers, then the cables will always plug in the same way. When making IDC cables, ensure that the notch/nub points in the same direction relative to the cable strands unless otherwise noted. 

Some SD cards don't seem to work, e.g. if the size is huge like 32 GB (MIOS will use a very small fraction of that).

1 hour ago, latigid on said:

Try to format the card, I think FAT8 is the best. Then try again. 

Thanks for the ongoing help. Do you know how to format FAT8 on a windows 10 machine? I have been googling but can't find any program. I did find an older post by TK that says formatting via MIOS Studio is the best method by doing sdcard_format, but it fails with this:

[23416.084] sdcard_format
[23416.246] ATTENTION: this command will format your SD Card!!!
[23416.246]            ALL DATA WILL BE DELETED FOREVER!!!
[23416.246]            Check the current content with the 'sdcard' command
[23416.246]            Create a backup on your computer if necessary!
[23416.246] To start formatting, please enter: sdcard_format yes, I'm sure
[23422.269] sdcard_format yes, I'm sure
[23422.431] Formatting SD Card...
[23422.431] Formatting failed with error code: 12!

If I type just 'sdcard' it says Reading CID and CSD failed with status 256.  I'm at a loss, I've tried multiple cards and the one I'm currently working with is only 8GB and formatted FAT. The other high capacity ones only let me go as low as FAT32.  Maybe I have a bad component but it is recognizing a card is in there. If I had the cable backwards on one end by accident at some point would that have done some damage somewhere?

If I lay the cable down flat, with the connector holes pointing up, the notches are on the same side of each connector. I assume that's the right orientation.

Edit - Also just in case it helps, only the green LED has been lighting up. 

Edited by niles
led info added

Please provide pictures of the boards, cables and the make/source/sizes of SD cards.

Did you use shrouded headers? If so, you can't plug the cables in the wrong way, unless they're incorrectly assembled.

21 hours ago, niles said:

Thanks for the ongoing help. Do you know how to format FAT8 on a windows 10 machine? I have been googling but can't find any program. I did find an older post by TK that says formatting via MIOS Studio is the best method by doing sdcard_format, but it fails with this:

Try to format using some sort of FAT setting. Is the format successful in Windows?

If I had the cable backwards on one end by accident at some point would that have done some damage somewhere?

Not seen before, but I guess so? You could've damaged the SD card, the MCU pins or both. Again, can you still format the SD cards or are they unresponsive in Windows?

If I lay the cable down flat, with the connector holes pointing up, the notches are on the same side of each connector. I assume that's the right orientation.

That's right, but above you were saying that maybe the cables were backwards? Were they incorrectly assembled before? Shrouded headers or not? See above comments

Edit - Also just in case it helps, only the green LED has been lighting up. 

J16E carries the LED signals too. If there was a "backwards cable", then something funny could've happend there. But you don't get many LED signals with _NG. More are active with the SEQ app.

Here's the schematic. The SD card pinout follows the datasheet that you can get from Mouser.

SD-J16E.thumb.JPG.6195d2df97f0bd2402800a

Check for continuity of pins back to the Waveshare 407v board (with the power off). Check that adjacent pins are not shorted. Make another cable or use the one from an OLED at least temporarily (don't use the OLED cable!)  You can measure voltage at the SD card. You won't see much with a multimeter on the other pins, but you can use a scope or logic probe if you have one.

Also, it is possible to overheat these SD sockets. What temperature settings did you use? Were you heating the pins for a long time?

Edited by latigid on

I checked continuity and everything seems fine. The cable is something I did have wrong at first, so perhaps I fried a MCU pin or two. Is there a diagnostic program or command I could run in MIOS Studio that would confirm the pins are 100%?

I'm using shrouded cable sockets and they are oriented correctly I think (please see photos though).

I did order a few more SD sockets (arrow has free one day shipping today :) so I'll replace that just in case. It was simple enough to remove.

The SD cards I've tested all format correctly under windows. I found a 32MB one (canon SDC-32M) that is formatted FAT, and a newer 8GB Kingston SDHC (SD4/8GB) that is formatted FAT32. They only contain SEQ_L.NGC , the file from the first post in the seq v4+ thread. Both have the same result. 

The schematic helped, thank you for posting that. Tricky that they put pin 9 out at the end of the SD socket :hmm:

Again, thank you for your help with this. I'm obviously hoping it's not the MCU but I'm not sure what else it could be at this point. Hopefully there's some kind of test I can run.

2019-03-27_18-54-08_157.jpg

2019-03-27_18-43-26_330.jpg

2019-03-27_18-43-01_247.jpg

6 hours ago, niles said:

I checked continuity and everything seems fine. The cable is something I did have wrong at first, so perhaps I fried a MCU pin or two. Is there a diagnostic program or command I could run in MIOS Studio that would confirm the pins are 100%?

I'm not sure if there's a tool for SD card diagnostics. There is a dedicated app for a "mass storage device", but it's only built for LPC/STM32F1.

6 hours ago, niles said:

I'm using shrouded cable sockets and they are oriented correctly I think (please see photos though).

Sockets look okay

6 hours ago, niles said:

I did order a few more SD sockets (arrow has free one day shipping today :) so I'll replace that just in case. It was simple enough to remove.

Worth a try. Once when soldering a DISCOVERY F4 Core, my sockets were overheated. I don't know exactly what happened, but the SD card actually overheated and burned up somehow when I inserted it. Take care when soldering the socket. If you can't manage the smaller pins (in the datasheet they have function names, not pin names) then try leaving them unsoldered. They aren't connected to the pin header (NC in schem).

It might also be possible to overheat when soldering down the IDC shrouded header.

6 hours ago, niles said:

The SD cards I've tested all format correctly under windows. I found a 32MB one (canon SDC-32M) that is formatted FAT, and a newer 8GB Kingston SDHC (SD4/8GB) that is formatted FAT32. They only contain SEQ_L.NGC , the file from the first post in the seq v4+ thread. Both have the same result.

The 32MB would be perfect! It might be useful to have a blacklist/whitelist of SD cards. At the moment I think mine are 4 GB, not sure of the speed.

6 hours ago, niles said:

2019-03-27_18-54-08_157.jpg

The cable is assembled correctly but the leftmost socket might be skewed (or the cable was cut on an angle or it's an unhelpful camera angle). Check for shorts on the cable (e.g. by plugging into the sockets). Note that some pins are intentionally doubled up (see schematic).

quick question related to the pins. I am trying to trace shorts even further and RC1 (pin 10 on the J16), which goes to CS/SS (Pin 1 on SD socket). It's is the PB2 also called "BOOT1" on the MCU board. Disconnecting the MCU board it's shorted to ground, is that intended or accidental short? Thanks

I fear I may just have to shell out for a new MCU board, not sure what else to try. Perhaps I can use the original board in another Midibox project in the future without an SD card lol.

Well there's no shorts and I don't know what to do with that schematic anyway. I've built plenty of synth-related items but none that rely on SD cards.  I'm at a total loss. It's too bad there's no way to just run some kind of diagnostic program that would tell me there's no input or output received or something. I don't know enough about how this MIOS studio works to debug errors. 

On 2/6/2019 at 6:46 PM, Hawkeye said:

Are the full schematics available anywhere? I've searched online and can't find them.

I have a problem with testing the JA PCB.

I've flashed the NG firmware and the seq_l script loads OK, I set debug on but there is no response from any of the controls or LEDs on the JA board. Any pointers as to where to look?

I have checked all the ICs on the wCore and JA PCBs and reflowed anything that looked less than optimal.

hey there....im trying to get my aout-ng gates and clocks working....

ive set the shift registers in the hw file (10 and 11) but no gates clocks and no cv...also the power led on the aout-ng does not light up with the seqv4+

(and it does light up with my seqv4)

tips are welcome....

cheers

Vincent

Just now, electrodancer said:

ive set the shift registers in the hw file (10 and 11) but no gates clocks and no cv...also the power led on the aout-ng does not light up

Not a good sign. How is the AOUT_NG being powered? There's an extra jumper on the midiphy Line Receiver that connects to the +5V buss. Is it closed?

Wrong cabling? Let's see a photo of your setup. What Line Driver boards were you using for the older SEQ?

Edited by latigid on

my setup now is : seqv4+ with new lindriver transmitter but on the other end i have the old linedriver receiver

that might be the problem

aout-ng is powered from my eurorack +12 and -12 volt and it needs power from the sirio chain (i think)

Edited by electrodancer

It's been a while, sorry. The same jumper is on the Line Transmit board, is it closed? You have the option of external power, as there could be losses through the DB-25 cable.

I've added the info for both boards in their respective BOMs. Sorry for any confusion.

Edited by latigid on

hi there thank you it was indeed the jumper on the transmitter....now i have power on the aout board cv, gates and clocks are working !!

another question i have is : is it possilbe to also connect the (old) TPD ?

in my seqv4 i had it after the doutx4..... but now i see there is something different in the hw file (the option to choose the midiphy tpd)

now TPD enabled 3 is set...and normally with the seqv4....TPD 2 would be set......would it even be possible to connect the old TPD?

##################################################
# Optional LED Track Position Display
# See also http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=tpd_pcb
##################################################

# set to 1 or 2 to enable the relative track position display
# 0: TPD disabled
# 1: TPD enabled - columns are cathodes, rows are anodes
# 2: TPD enabled - columns are anodes, rows are cathodes
# 3: TPD for midiphy frontpanel enabled - columns are anodes, rows are cathodes, inversion
TPD_ENABLED 3

cheers

Vincent

Edited by electrodancer
yes

On 3/29/2019 at 5:23 PM, latigid on said:

Let's see a hi-res photo of the board.

So after giving the board a thorough clean with ISO alcohol in preparation for it's photo shoot, Ifound a pin on J89 that didn't look soldered too well, so I reflowed it. It all works now. I am relieved that I don't have to show you all my crappy soldering.

Good work!

After ~10 years of soldering with a conical 0.5mm tip, I have recently discovered the joy of a 1.6mm chisel tip. It really is night and day with SMT as you get great heat transfer to the flat pads (always heat the pad if possible), then apply 0.5mm solder to the pin et voilà! 

With a conical tip I always had to use the side of the iron for SMT and the heating was much more tedious. Still the conical tip is better for larger THT components, pots and jacks etc.

I have both irons at hand and just plug what's needed into the soldering station :)

Edited by latigid on

On 3/26/2019 at 10:02 PM, latigid on said:

SD-J16E.thumb.JPG.6195d2df97f0bd2402800a

I seem to have same problem, running the sdcard command in the MIOS terminal returns:

[17225.948] Reading Root Directory
[17225.948] ======================
[17225.949] SD Card: not connected
[17225.949] Failed to open root directory - error status: 12
[17225.949] done.

When i check the voltage between Pin 3 GND1 and Pin 4 (VDD) I get a negative voltage, i.e. -3.3V

Black probe to GND1, and Red probe to VDD.

I presume it should not be negative?

Thanks for your time,
Adrian.