Troubleshooting midiphy SEQ v4+

latigid on

Ugh, I seem to have problems at every stage :(

So I have gotten to the Fluxtest and have issues on both boards.

On the LH board, no red led on SW14. Have tested the LED with multimeter and it's fine.

On the RH board, no green or blue on SW7 and SW15, same as above, LEDs are OK.

I've tried the usual, looking for obvious faults, diodes are all correct., soldering all looks OK. Any hints on where to look?

• Do the DIN tests work? I.e. do you see button events in MIOS Studio? 
  • The problem is isolated to one LED, not a whole row-of-four or column?
    • Then the issue is soldering to that particular part
    • All LED anodes/SJ of a column will be common, test continuity
  •  You have multiple colours configured? Check the RJs.

Provide a few good-quality photos to make troubleshooting easier.

Hi - I had some more time today to make some really good progress. So far everything is going smooth except for the JA board. I have the case almost all the way together. for the JA, I'm going to debug the weird button behavior I had way back, now that I know how the ICs work a little more. Anyway do you know what would cause this row not to light in the matrix (please see photo below)?

The 2nd row of 16 leds aren't lighting on the JA matrix. I've reflowed the matrix pins and the large 24pin connector, as well as the respective connectors on lemec_r.  I am guessing this matrix doesn't connect to anything else on the JA board that would cause just this row to not light?  

Thanks

IMG-4717.JPG

The JA matrix is driven by the extra ICs on lemec_R. The fact a whole row is missing points to an issue on the sink side. 

Check continuity (also for cold solder joints and faulty cables) from the following pins

lemec_R:
IC17 pin 1 :: IC18 pin 7
IC 18 pin 12 :: J5 pin 8
J5 pin 8 ::IDC cable to JA:: J2 pin 8

JA:
J2 pin 8:: MATRIX pin 14.

The matrix pins are labelled like an IC, so anticlockwise from the bottom-left dot.  

On 5/25/2019 at 1:59 AM, latigid on said:

The JA matrix is driven by the extra ICs on lemec_R. The fact a whole row is missing points to an issue on the sink side. 

Check continuity (also for cold solder joints and faulty cables) from the following pins

lemec_R:
IC17 pin 1 :: IC18 pin 7
IC 18 pin 12 :: J5 pin 8
J5 pin 8 ::IDC cable to JA:: J2 pin 8

JA:
J2 pin 8:: MATRIX pin 14.

The matrix pins are labelled like an IC, so anticlockwise from the bottom-left dot.  

Thanks - I think it's the cable. I have continuity everywhere but from J5 pin 8-> cable-> j2 pin8.  Will replace that once I get new ends - I think I wore out the 24pin header.

Hi everybody,

First post :) 

trying to desolder r5 from the usb connector pcb, I removed the pads... no way to solder the new resistance. Where should I connect ( shortcut) the resistance ?are schematics available somewhere ?

is this resistor needed to run the seq or is it just a led’s ressistor ?

Congrats for this amazing project!

dimitri

Edited by Dimduj
Additional question

Thank you so much !

I’ve not finished but the rest of the build has been easier. It’s fun that I fail on a simple trough hole ressistor with smds and super flux led ;)

I ve done a lots of other project such as shruthi, lxr,.. but I really enjoy the project so far because their is many new assembly technics !

See you at the next issue ;)

SOLVED

Had to delete midi setup in Mac Os as described in this page: http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_manual_in.html

I've an issue uploading the midibox seq app to the coreboard using MIOS.
Whatever I upload projet.hex of midibox_ng_v1_036 or midibox_seq_v4_095,  I cannot see other midiport than the MIOS32.
I rescan midi devices but no success, rebooting MIOS,... dissconnect USB ....)
Is that normal ?

I'm not sure I get the right files.
Sorry I'm really new with the midibox seq and I've few ressource to check about seq V4+. I never know what docs about seq 4 are applicable for the V4+ version
Hawkeye vidéo is great but a little blurry regarding his monitor screen ;) 
I run MIOS on Mac OS on High Sierra 10.13.6.

After uploading  midibox_ng_v1_036 I can load seq_l but the only available midi are MIOS32.
I can browse the SD card and see existing file using MIOS Tools.

Edited by Dimduj
Add OS version

What are the jumper settings on the 407v daughterboard?

What is the position of the host/slave switch? Should be up to avoid using USB host.

Sounds like it's mostly fine but you can also try other searches e.g.

http://midibox.org/forums/topic/19105-stm32f4-communication-issues-with-mios-studio-no-usb-midi-available/

Edited by latigid on

Thx Latigid on,

I will document that in my review once my build is done .

i progress and have a small issue :https://youtu.be/JU_dDLcqE1g

the fourth last led of the right panel do not light up during fluxtest.

when I test each superflux individually using a battery coin they all work properly on each color.

I already reflow ic2 and ic3 and they seems to be correctly soldered.

any idea ?

19 minutes ago, Dimduj said:

Thx Latigid on,

You're welcome :)

19 minutes ago, Dimduj said:

i progress and have a small issue :https://youtu.be/JU_dDLcqE1g

the fourth last led of the right panel do not light up during fluxtest.

when I test each superflux individually using a battery coin they all work properly on each color.

I already reflow ic2 and ic3 and they seems to be correctly soldered.

any idea ?

Looks to be an issue with T7/R24/D16/R7 or pin 1 on IC2.

On 5/26/2019 at 2:44 PM, niles said:

Thanks - I think it's the cable. I have continuity everywhere but from J5 pin 8-> cable-> j2 pin8.  Will replace that once I get new ends - I think I wore out the 24pin header.

Just reporting back in quick - it was the cable. I guess practice makes perfect, now the led matrix works perfectly. Getting there :)

Latigid on and Hawkeye - THANK YOU! It's up and running! (one caveat below...) Sorted out my JA board issues and it's firing a basic sequence now.  The OLED displays are amazingly crisp and clear.  This box is a thing of beauty, really quite a nice piece of engineering and design. I am looking forward to learning it. Thank you for offering it as a kit!  :cheers:

One caveat, though (there's always one in my world), is that I'm getting weird output from the 4 main Midi out ports. To test it I'm running a simple sequence with one note and one default gate length, and my synth gets the note (a behringer neutron) but only once ever, and it's like an infinite gate. Happens with all 4 of the Midi out ports. The IIC ports all work great when I change the midi output port on the fly while the same sequence is still running. The IIC ports appear to be operating normally so I'm thinking it's an issue with the midi8 board.

Before I tear it apart and examine the midi8 pcb, I just wanted to confirm that there's no global setting or something that I need to enable or set for midi8 board? I'm guessing no but hey just double checking.

If I do need to debug midi data, is there a recommended method or test sequence I should run against a known good port? Should I use mios studio or midi-ox or probably doesn't matter?

Thanks again 

Edited by niles

Sounds like you're nearly there, good job! 

MIDI8 is basically plug-and-play. The MIDI output is essentially one resistor to the MCU pin and one pull-up resistor, not much more than that

You can debug MIDI output by using the SEQ's built-in router. So you could plug a physical cable from OUT1 to IN2, then set the router IN2 to USB1 for instance. This can be compared against MIDI output with the track event set to USB.

If you think about it, you should also be able to route piano-roll data from MIOS studio to any MIDI OUT port: in the SEQ route USB1 to OUTx.

It does sound quite weird though, so maybe it is how the Neutron is interpreting the data? Can you try another synth?

Please share your patch from the SEQ or initialise the track etc.

Another build, another problem :).

Finished the USB and Ucore PCB - soldering, mounted the Waveshare PCB and my PC wont find any Midi-Device. When Waveshare-PCB is connected directly without uCore it is detected (with power set to USB mode). However, when mounted to the uCore all i get is a lighting  "PRW LED" but no Midi Connection found. I already restarted the Software and my Computer to "refresh" but that didnt help either. Here are some picks of my work so far. Maybe someone has an idea at what i should take a closer look (obviously Pin-headers should be soldered correctly and cable shouldnt have a short). Sorry for the bad lighting on the pictures I will try to provide better ones if needed.

Thanks in advance!

https://ibb.co/sw2hJw6

https://ibb.co/4MHtd4H

https://ibb.co/M92sHXz

https://ibb.co/Fbd8C8Y

https://ibb.co/L8dZzzH

https://ibb.co/GQn8v5g

Alex

Ps: I cannot upload pictures directly to the forum (error -200). Is there a max file size?M92sHXz

Edited by knochenfabrik
Attaching media

Hi Alex,

Maybe try pushing the 407v board in a bit more into the 2x25 pin headers? You can test for continuity between the top pin of the 407v and the bottom pin of the wCore PCB.

You should have continuity on the pins on the broken-out USB PCB (D-, D+) all the way back to the MCU pins (PA11, PA12). Looking from the bottom of the USB PCB, the data connections are on the left of the USB B connector, but the five-pin 0.1"/micromatch should suffice. The D+ line is closer to the edge of the board where the plug comes in.

Check the position of the host/slave switch on the USB PCB portion. Should be up for normal USB.

Edit: pictures look okay from what I can see. Sometimes the forum dislikes PNG I think; you can try a different format.

Edited by latigid on

17 minutes ago, latigid on said:

Hi Alex,

Maybe try pushing the 407v board in a bit more into the 2x25 pin headers? You can test for continuity between the top pin of the 407v and the bottom pin of the wCore PCB.

You should have continuity on the pins on the broken-out USB PCB (D-, D+) all the way back to the MCU pins (PA11, PA12). Looking from the bottom of the USB PCB, the data connections are on the left of the USB B connector, but the five-pin 0.1"/micromatch should suffice. The D+ line is closer to the edge of the board where the plug comes in.

Check the position of the host/slave switch on the USB PCB portion. Should be up for normal USB.

Edit: pictures look okay from what I can see. Sometimes the forum dislikes PNG I think; you can try a different format.

The host/slave switch it was indeed :D. Feeling so dumb now haha. Thank you very much for the fast response - and now i can continue testing/building the dream :D. Cheers, Alex.

All working now - Here's my beauty :grin:  Turns out I had a bad cable (my nemesis) for the MIDI8 board. 

I went with the red/cyan color mix for the LEDs. Keycaps courtesy of @Antichambre . Also, I went with shorter 16mm keycaps for the switches ( mouser 642-1S11-16.0 ) instead of the 19mm from the BOM, I thought those were a bit too wiggly. I had a few self-inflicted hiccups along the way but I'm extremely pleased with how this turned out and the quality and support of the midiphy kit is top notch, of course.

Cheers!

IMG-4868.JPG

1 hour ago, knochenfabrik said:

The host/slave switch it was indeed :D. Feeling so dumb now haha. Thank you very much for the fast response - and now i can continue testing/building the dream :D. Cheers, Alex.

:cheers:

19 minutes ago, niles said:

All working now - Here's my beauty :grin:  Turns out I had a bad cable (my nemesis) for the MIDI8 board. 

I went with the red/cyan color mix for the LEDs. Keycaps courtesy of @Antichambre . Also, I went with shorter 16mm keycaps for the switches ( mouser 642-1S11-16.0 ) instead of the 19mm from the BOM, I thought those were a bit too wiggly. I had a few self-inflicted hiccups along the way but I'm extremely pleased with how this turned out and the quality and support of the midiphy kit is top notch, of course.

Cheers!

IMG-4868.JPG

Nice build, looks great!

You can post in the main thread now if you want. Seems like you're done troubleshooting!

43 minutes ago, niles said:

Cheers!

IMG-4868.JPG

Well done, if it's not a reused box it's time to smoke a good cigar ;)

Hi guys, made some progress and mistakes so here I am again. Finished the JA and both Lemec-boards. JA-board was working find when tested with MIDIBOX_NG (with Midibox App all LEDS in the lowest row start to light after ~5 sec of powering on - the green LED doenst light up - in MIDIBOX_NG it works just fine when clicked though)

So i went on to test the Encoders and Switches on the LEMEC boards. On the left board (first in chain) all of the Encoders work and One single Matias Switch doesnt work (The one in the down right corner - 2nd row, 8th column)  Had the 4148 Diode in the wrong direction - now it works perfect. On the right board (2nd in chain) none of the switches and encoders work and when everything is chained together for DIN test alle the 16 encoders dont react. I had to "air-wire" IC1 on the right board since i removed a bit of pad and traces on 3 pins of the 10 pin header (see photos attached).

Tried to resolder IC17 on the 2nd board and now it seems that if its connected none of the encoders on any board work - if i only connect the first board to the JApcb it works perfectly fine.

Also when i only connect the RH pcb (2nd in chain) to the JApcb the LEDS and switches on the JApcb wont work and i get this message when loading SEQ_R

"[7621.268] load seq_r
[7621.630] [MBNG_FILE_C:1] WARNING: unknown command:  test
[7621.630] [MBNG_LCD] no response from CLCD #1.1
[7621.630] [MBNG_LCD] no response from CLCD #2.1
[7621.631] [MBNG_FILE_C] Event Pool Number of Items: 203
[7621.631] [MBNG_FILE_C] Event Pool Allocation: 7066 of 65536 bytes (10%)
[7621.641] MBNG_MATRIX_DOUT_NotifyReceivedValue(1, 1, 0)
[7621.641] MBNG_MATRIX_DOUT_NotifyReceivedValue(2, 1, 0)
..........................................."

If anyone could give me a clue on what i should look i would be very thankful.

111.jpg

222.jpg

333.jpg

4444.jpg

6666.jpg

55555.jpg

Edited by knochenfabrik
edited the failure

3 hours ago, knochenfabrik said:

Hi guys, made some progress and mistakes so here I am again. Finished the JA and both Lemec-boards. JA-board was working find when tested with MIDIBOX_NG (with Midibox App all LEDS in the lowest row start to light after ~5 sec of powering on - the green LED doenst light up - in MIDIBOX_NG it works just fine when clicked though)

With the SEQ app? Is the HW config file the correct (midiphy) one?

So i went on to test the Encoders and Switches on the LEMEC boards. On the left board (first in chain) all of the Encoders work and One single Matias Switch doesnt work (The one in the down right corner - 2nd row, 8th column)  Had the 4148 Diode in the wrong direction - now it works perfect.

Nice!

On the right board (2nd in chain) none of the switches work and the encoders only work without the click-feature (wont react when pushed down). I had to "air-wire" IC1 on the right board since i removed a bit of pad and traces on 3 pins of the 10 pin header (see photos attached).

The clicks are associated with the matrix, whereas the encoder turning functions are connected directly to the 74HC165 pins. If the first four encoders work, then IC1 is still okay. Do the last four encoders work? If not, perhaps the lines after IC1 (SC, RC and SO) are not connected properly.

Tried to resolder IC17 on the 2nd board and now it seems that if its connected none of the encoders on any board work - if i only connect the first board to the JApcb it works perfectly fine.

Maybe a short on the power rail? Or else soldering around pins 1/2/9/10? From the pictures, many of the joints look a bit "cold", where the solder forms a ball rather than a nice fillet. Try reflowing the pins.

Pins 1 and 2 on 165s are the strobe/clock lines. They shouldn't be shorted together or to +5V/0V, and all 165s carry the same signals (check continuity between chips). Pin 10 is the serial input and receives serial data from the next 165 in the chain, so IC1 (pin 10) receives from IC2 (pin 9).

You can compare voltages, signal traces etc. from the functional lemec_L. Also make sure that the connections between the plate PCB and le mec are correctly made (through-board headers).