Troubleshooting midiphy SEQ v4+

latigid on

Hey guys having some issues with my jog wheel module. I think my core is ok, I can load programs and scripts and connect without issue. I'm trying to test the jog wheel module and getting crazy results. After loading the seq_l script no buttons work and all LED's light up. when i touch the back of the PCB everything goes crazy. tons of input to MIOS studio and random LED's lighting up. I check each led orientation as well as the diodes and other parts. I reflowed everything with the exact same behavior. All of my parts came from the Mouser list I imported on the Midiphy site.

thanks,

Luke

59 minutes ago, lukas412 said:

Hey guys having some issues with my jog wheel module. I think my core is ok, I can load programs and scripts and connect without issue. I'm trying to test the jog wheel module and getting crazy results. After loading the seq_l script no buttons work and all LED's light up. when i touch the back of the PCB everything goes crazy. tons of input to MIOS studio and random LED's lighting up. I check each led orientation as well as the diodes and other parts. I reflowed everything with the exact same behavior. All of my parts came from the Mouser list I imported on the Midiphy site.

thanks,

Luke

Ahhh! I should have read the thread I see Karg just had the same problem! Looks like I have the wrong part too.

thanks all.

Update, and of course it all works perfectly!

Edited by lukas412

Does anyone know what the part number for the Green LED in the Midiphy kit is? I broke one of mine and was going to order another set from Midiphy but the shipping is really steep to the USA for such a cheap part.

thanks,

Luke

Edit: Midiphy are amazing I had a whole additional bag of LED's because they send you extra in the kit!

Edited by lukas412

• 5 weeks later...

Okay, this is sad, but my construction efforts have run into problems at the first test point: loading the firmware onto to the MCU. Eventually I figured out that there's a short between +5V and GND on the USB PCB itself. I finally isolated it to this PCB by disconnecting the ribbon cable between the two PCBs. I've also removed the TVS diode, figuring that it might be the most likely place for a solder short. I've examined my solder joints with a magnifier and microscope(!) and have found nothing.

Could I obtain either a schematic or the PCB artwork for this PCB? It would help with locating the problem if I knew which traces are +5V and which are GND. I'm assuming that +5V is on the first two conductors of the ribbon cable and GND is the last two conductors, based on the silkscreen notations near the ribbon cable connector. The next thing I'm going to have to do is start removing parts one by one, which is unfortunate since removing things like the USB connectors will not be easy.

Thanks--

--Adam

24 minutes ago, latigid on said:

Please check the locations I mentioned and post a photo of your soldering.

Don't worry, the pours are not connected otherwise nobody's board would work...

Those are the first locations I checked since obviously they're the most likely to be shorted by a solder bridge. Here's the photo; thanks for looking at it for me. It's possibly worth mentioning that I have a lot of experience with this sort of work. I'm used to hand-soldering 0603s and TQFP100 packages. Obviously there's a mistake somewhere, though.

I understand that nobody's board would work if +5 and GND are connected, but you're showing me an image which appears to show that they are connected. Hence my confusion. :happy:

20190820_172432820_iOS (2).jpg

@studio nebula

Wow, very well spotted and thanks for finding and reporting the problem as soon as you did! :cheers:

It was correlated with our move to the new ENIG PCB process - will contact you shortly via email on how to proceed.

What we will do:

* check the other ENIG PCBs for this special problem (we don't believe others are affected, but we will check anyways)
* contact everyone affected buying the core board since the switch to the new manufacturing process (about a month ago).
* submit an express PCB manufacturing job and send the replacement boards free of charge to you and the other affected customers, as soon as we have the replacements in hand. Thus you will also get another "core main board", that you can use as a backup, as only the breakaway USB part is affected.
* say "sorry" with a "free shipping" flag to everyone affected, thus you won't pay for shipping whatever you order, whenever you order next.

From my main job as a consultant i learned that mistakes happen all the time, the difference is how you handle them, we hope to do the best here.

Have a good day and best regards!
Peter

13 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

@studio nebula

Wow, very well spotted and thanks for finding and reporting the problem as soon as you did! :cheers:

[...]

From my main job as a consultant i learned that mistakes happen all the time, the difference is how you handle them, we hope to do the best here.

Hi Peter,

I wish I had found the problem sooner; I had to delay work on my kit for awhile because of other demands on my spare time. Hopefully I found it early enough that you can contact most other affected customers before they begin soldering.

Mistakes do indeed happen--I completely understand. After over 20 years in the music-tech business, and shipping over 40 software and hardware products, I have also handled many mistakes. :angelnot:

Thanks for your help. You have a good day, too!

Warm regards,

--Adam

Hello,

There is no power switch, as you should typically ensure a stable power rail before connecting data and the solution to that was a bit to complicated. Imagine if it was already connected to your computer with data being sent but no power rail because it was switched off. I'm honestly not sure if this would be a problem for the SEQ or the computer.

But if you would like to try, maybe something like this? You would need a USBA-USBA cable.

https://solarbotics.com/product/19068/

Or a USB B with a switch on it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Snowball-B-Male-Switch-Printers-devices/dp/B07GGT9XGT

If you would like to drill a hole in the case, how about interrupting the +5V line from the USB board to the Core? This assumes that you haven't used the Molex power headers on the USB board. Simply wire an SPST switch to reconnect the +5V.

5 hours ago, latigid on said:

There is no power switch, as you should typically ensure a stable power rail before connecting data and the solution to that was a bit to complicated. Imagine if it was already connected to your computer with data being sent but no power rail because it was switched off. I'm honestly not sure if this would be a problem for the SEQ or the computer.

Hi, there's no problem with that. 2 cases, device says "I'm here!" or host polls something like "are you here?"... In both cases the device always waits for a stable power to say something. No need of a complicated solution.

Best regards
Bruno

• Like 1

In complement for an external power supply and USB power management.

With this circuits the external power has priority over USB power.
It works fine cause this is the one there is on all arduino uno board, so well improved. And I did the same thing on the dipBoardF4 external power module and use it.
bNsoC.jpg?raw=1
r9NgC.gif?raw=1
Best regards
Bruno

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

just finished my DOUT and AOUT modules. J8/9 goes directly from the LEMEC_R to the DOUT-module. When I turn the sequencer on it shows a strange menu (see picture). Do I have to conifgure something to use the module first or does this more look like a hardware issue?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

dout.jpg

Edited by knochenfabrik