Awesome OLED!!

nebula

The thing stopping me from making a MIDIbox Logic Control has always been the lack of suitable commercially available displays.  Has anybody ever considered trying the MacBook Pro touch bar?  It's a 2170x60 colour graphical OLED, and it can be bought for around 30 dollars. Maybe it would be perfect for a scribble strip for 8 faders. I have no idea if data is available for this though....

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-NEW-A1706-Touch-Bar-for-Macbook-PRO-Retina-13-Inch-A1706-2016-Touchbar-Replacement/32821436004.html

HTB1agWcSVXXXXXBapXXq6xXFXXXT.jpg

There is probably a single manufacturer for this product. I would not invest a lot of time into this, if there is a single seller and none of the big players like Mouser or Digikey have this, noone knows how long this spare part will be available to the public. Quite a bit of risk, don't you think?

On 12/26/2018 at 2:49 PM, ilmenator said:

Sure, unless the component breaks and you need a replacement. But I don't want to discourage you from going that route!

The display is available through lots of suppliers now (Google "macbook touch bar replacement"), and Apple is still using them on MacBook Pros for the foreseeable future.  They're cheap enough to buy spares, and in 10 years if you need one and they've become obsolete, you should able to find a used MacBook Pro very cheaply to scavenge one from.

And I think the shape is too potentially useful to ignore!

Edited by nebula

Not yet - and I will admit I have no experience hacking this type of stuff.  But ... I would pay to ship one to somebody who has experience with this sort of thing, and a reasonable prospect of getting it working with MIDIbox.

(I may also check with suppliers to see if they have, or can get, documentation)

Edited by nebula