midiphy gates/clocks module

latigid on

large.5c62017741951_binaireoctal.jpg.fc5

Prototype of an 8x "DOUT" module. It is a simple build of two stacked PCBs called "binaire" and "octal". I reckon it can be done in an hour or less. In the SEQ v4+ context it can be configured as 

• 8 gates, in combination with 8 CVs (in the works)
  • 8 configurable clocks, or 7 clocks plus one start signal
  • 8 triggers. Up to 64 triggers can be generated with the SEQ!

Each output has an LED that illuminates with a positive gate. The modules are designed to be easily chainable, so decide how many are needed in your system. 4HP width. It would also work with other SEQ versions.

More info to come!

Edited by latigid on
  • Like 1

Thanks for the feedback!

Re: AOUT_NG: in the MIDIbox paradigm, CV/gate is split into AnalogueOUT and DigitalOUT modules. The assembly above is the DOUT side, which was previously available as a PCB build using a DOUTX4 module, but you needed to provide your own 3.5mm jacks. There have been various solutions over the years, like using Ken Stone breakout PCBs, also Altitude did a combination that had eight each of CVs/gates/clocks/triggers.

The AOUT side will be a different design to AOUT_NG. I had a previous incarnation in through hole, but this version is more compact and simplified. (The other one had CV range switches and fine-tune control, but was only four channels in I think 10HP.)

Here's a teaser of transmute8 fresh from OSHPark (thanks for the image Peter!), not tested and won't be for a little while. Hope you like 1206 resistors (or 0805 if you wish!)!

Best,
Andy

20190215_174133.thumb.jpg.13107ecfaa7cf6

Edited by latigid on

That looks great! I took another route, and built a breakout panel in-between two rows of 3U in my case. I do have a quick question:

In your circuit, do the lights blink even if nothing is plugged into the jack? (looking at the picture, it looks like it does).

On mine, I have an LED installed, and I've gotten it to blink when it is driving something, but it doesn't blink with nothing connected.

I tried a simple BC547 circuit, but no luck. If yours does, I would love to see the schematic!

Edited by goyousalukis

53 minutes ago, goyousalukis said:

I was using the top right corner of this schematic from the YuSynth gate delay, except connecting the base of the transistor to the DOUT module.

Interesting, based on this diagram the LED should work without something connected,  except if the load is a lot less than 10K, is your jack has a kind of bypass inside? Maybe the jack put the output to the ground internally when there's nothing plugged?

Edited by Antichambre

It would be better to see the actual connections or even a photo of the circuit...

Presumably the transistor base is connected to the 220R resistor of a DOUT pin? Normally I use 1k resistors for setting the NPN base current, but it probably doesn't matter. Plugging something into the jack might create a voltage divider?

Also, this circuit is trying to source current out of the NPN. The LED/resistor should rather be connected to the collector.

1 hour ago, latigid on said:

Plugging something into the jack might create a voltage divider?

Yep, here the voltage depends on the Impedance connected to the GATE OUT for sure! The Voltage applied to the 547 base is between something like 3,6V with Z=0 and approximatively 11V with Hi-Z, strange.
Led current depends on it too, between 1,5mA and 9mA.

This will work better:
Fichier%2020-02-2019%2012%2034%2041.jpeg

But it's 15V gate. A bit less because of the diode.

Edited by Antichambre

• 6 months later...

You need to assign the shift register to the triggers in the HWCFG. Then the triggers should work on AOUT channel 16.

DOUT drum gates/triggers
Notes to AOUT Channel #16 (C-1, C#1, D-1, ... upwards) will be redirected to up to 64 digital outputs of the DOUT chain. Each key number triggers an individual gate for 1 mS, accordingly this mode is predestinated for drum triggers. The used shift registers have to be defined in the MBSEQ_HW.V4 file (DOUT_GATE_SR1..8)

With the new firmware version you can adjust the pulse time of the triggers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

For this, set up a note track on AOUT port channel 16

Note    16    DOUT drum gates/triggers
Notes to CV Channel #16 (C-1, C#1, D-1, ... upwards) will be redirected to up to 64 digital outputs of the DOUT chain. Each key number triggers an individual gate for 1 mS, accordingly this mode is predestinated for drum triggers. The used shift registers have to be defined in the MBSEQ_HW.V4 file (DOUT_GATE_SR1..8)