STM324F midi not recognized - Win 10 - Problems with bootloader - SOLVED

Starspawn

As title, upgrading from lpc17 to STM ... Ive installed bootloader, but win 10 simply wont find the device and my old mac either (that I could find no midi app for). 
Trying to connect via USB, both USB cables connected (big for power and small for midi). 

its not being recognized as an audio/other device but as a disk. stm drivers are installed as admin, ive tried both with disk option type stm when upgrading and without. Other midi devices over usb do appear, asio4all installed. 

Known problem? It simply wont show on windows so obviously a windows problem, but maybe one someone has solved I hope. 
Thanks for any tips. 

Edited by Starspawn

Intstead of relying on usb midi from stm I connected main board and one of the midi cards and got as far as this, where if I just have it connected it is recognized as up to date bootloader, but drops out when programming ... or as this while cycling and holding blue button, where it gets no core response. 

Skjermbilde.JPG

Skjermbilde 2.PNG

Edited by Starspawn

Yes, firmware is updated, stm is from mouser (407 IC MB997 model, so knew I had to update). I used ST-link. 
Tried reuploading bootloader and different versions of the 0.95 files (there was 2014 and 2018 versions), still same. 
Is there some setting in the help commands that might help?

Edited by Starspawn

Yes. Might there be some setting for the STlink program that has to be right? Reset mode or something? 

Also all that is connected now is the core itself and a single midi i/o board. No sd card text file, no jumpers except midi power. 
I dont see that it should matter, but just mentioning in case its relevant. 

Normally it should be plug and play. 

You could check for continuity between the SWD pins of the ST-LINK side and PA13/PA14. Also check that no adjacent pins are shorted together (on the MCU) nor shorted to 0V or +5V.

https://www.st.com/resource/en/schematic_pack/stm32f4discovery_sch.zip

You shouldn't need an SD card, just USB power jumper is needed.

Nope, nothing wrong there. Would I need to have both the USB connections in? I jumpered from 5V to PA9 so i wouldnt have to. 
The problem seems to be that when I press start in MIOS the connection to the core immediatly drops, but after the upload fail (few seconds) it reconnects saying bootloader cant be entered. 
Ive done nothing to the settings this time around, but I tried various settings in help(limiting to one midi etc) yesterday. Device ID, name etc updates so theres obviously contact. 
Also tried hold blue, press black, continue to hold blue ... but then result is that it loses contact until I release blue again (thats the screenshot asking me to reset the core). 
Attached screenshot for successfull bootloader programming. Also finally shows up as STM in device manager. 

Skjermbilde X.JPG

Skjermbilde Y.JPG

Edited by Starspawn

The bootloader is not correctly flashed onto the F4, so it's no surprise you can't get anything to stick using MIOS Studio. This includes holding the blue button: you are trying to enter a bootloader mode that doesn't exist.

Did you try wiping the flash with the ST-link utility and re-flashing the MIOS bootloader over SWD?

The USB micro is only needed for USB updates after the initial flash. The USB mini is required for initial bootloading and can supply power, but it's not required after the booloader is installed if you use the power jumpers on the Core or manually with a dupont wire.

Yep, tried wipe, tried using both bin and hex file. Settings in ST-link as attached (default).
Should I try uploading with another programmer than ST-link? If so with what fuse settings etc? 
Still inclined to blame windows as I see no midi device from STM no matter what I do. 
As for core jumpers J1 on STM as well as the two for ST-link is jumpered. Comparison in ST-Link finds no problem. 

Is there a way to force it to boot from user flash memory? 

Skjermbilde Z.JPG

Skjermbilde W.JPG

board 2.jpg

Edited by Starspawn