Questions about using STM32F4 for v1.4

Molom

Hi all, 

After having previously built an MB-6582, I thought I'd have a go at building a midibox FM.

Following TK's build guide on ucapps, I've built the OPL3, DIN, DOUT, and CORE modules using PCBs ordered from Modular Addict. For the core, I thought it would be fine to use the newer STM32F4 module because it is mentioned as a more modern alternative to the PIC-based one. However, only after finding out more about it (my mistake), I'm now unsure if that was the right choice. I don't want to try to replicate Sauraen's 2.1 version because it looks far too ambitious for me and I need to rely on something fairly well documented and straightforward. My coding skills are very basic, and I just want to use the control surface of TK's 1.4 version. 

Is it possible to build the 1.4 version using the STM32F4 without writing or changing a lot of code myself? Or would I be better off using an LPC17 or a PIC-based core instead? I already have some spare PIC18F4685s, but I suppose if I use an LPC17 then I won't have to add a midi IO module later. Is that correct?

I appreciate any advice. :-)

Cheers,
Theo  

Hi Theo,

The classic MIDIbox FM 1.x is only available for the older 8bit core and written in pure PIC assembly and thus not super easily portable to the new STM32F4s. @Sauraen did a great job of porting, but his version is the only one known to work on modern cores. In short: you need an old core, sorry! :)

Many greets,
Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the clarification! Yes, Sauraen's project looks amazing, but unfortunately well beyond my current skills. Would it be fine then to use one of the PIC18F4685 chips that I have left over from my MB-SID build? I suppose I could save the STM32F4 module for a different project, or sell it for that matter. No big deal. 

Regards,

Theo 

Edited by Molom