New entrant to the SID game

SimonSays

Hey all

I've just completed my Seq V4+ (what a beast!) and enjoyed the quality of the code, platform, hardware, community AND this video that I really want a SID V2 now. I'd like to jump straight into the 6582, but happy to be persuaded/dissuaded.

TK's guide is detailed and helpful, but I've got a couple more questions:

* I can see that the boards can be purchased at Modular Addict - this is workable, but does anyone know of any EU suppliers?;

* SID chips - aside from wishing I hadn't given my C64 and Vic20 (!) away years ago, getting hold of chips seems very hit and miss on eBay. Any advice on where to/not to go which variants (6581, 8580, SwinSID Ultimate, are revisions important, etc. - I think I understand they can be mixed as long as stereo pairs are matched?) - or if anyone here is looking to sell any! - gratefully received;

* Further to above - can SID chips be tested, in the circumstance where I start buying them on eBay and don't have a C64 or SID synth to test them in?

* Case: can the Wilba cases still be had? I'm pretty happy with acrylic cases, so if there is a set of CAD files I can have one made...

Many thanks, Simon

• Like 1

Modular Addict is the only place to get the MB-6582 boards. I thought Mike’s shop in the EU still sold the individual module PCBs but I just checked and couldn’t find it any longer.

No way to test SIDs without putting them in something like a C64 or SID synth, unfortunately. I don’t suggest going to eBay if you can avoid it, lots of fakes there.

Mouser link for the PT-10 case:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/PacTec/82404-501-000-PT-10-BLACK?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsrGrAVj6eTvX3wYe7otpirD6i8T5sdE0E%3D

Thanks @jaytee... I'll either wait until I'm over there or wear the damned charges for import :)

I hadn't realised the case was generic - explains why all the references are to the "Wilba panel" rather than the "Wilba case". At the risk of asking an obvious follow up:

Do you know if the Wilba panels can still be had?!

You might try Julian at thebeast.co.uk, see if he has some ready. You can also have custom ones manufactured by a PCB company—sounds weird but turns out pretty nice. I did this and since you order in batches of five, you can sell the extras and come out even.

9 hours ago, jaytee said:

You might try Julian at thebeast.co.uk, see if he has some ready. You can also have custom ones manufactured by a PCB company—sounds weird but turns out pretty nice. I did this and since you order in batches of five, you can sell the extras and come out even.

Thanks! Really helpful....

Actually, the idea of making a panel - or whole case - out of PCBs is pretty cool. I don't think I've seen that before. Could be nice for something like a Shruthi... I've got half a dozen different filter boards and three Shruthis (none of which are quick to open and change boards in) so that could solve a problem. Bit different to laser-cut acrylic!

To maintain the commentary... I've just ordered 8x swinSID ultimates from PolyPlay. I think technically and practically this is the best answer, but part of me feels like I'm cheating!

The supply of swinSIDs is pretty limited (AFAIK they are individually hand-built and it's not entirely clear that I will get any at all) - but, hopefully, more reliable than buying suspect chips - or C64s that are suspiciously described as 'untested, strictly bought as seen' - ie. 'I've had the SID and the PSU, you can have the rest'!

Over time, I'll keep an eye for 8580s, and a couple of 6581s but build with the swinSIDs.

I'll certainly pick up a reliable looking grey C64 for the PSU and the 8580 with it to start my collection :)

I've been salivating over the Seq V4 too.....

an addendum to the "don't do ebay" is that I couldn't find any any other way, and successfully bought multiple chips from these two sellers in the last quarter of 2018, and they do seem to find SIDs on a semi regular basis... no guarantees obviously, but they have a lot of decent feedback and I have had no issues with the ones I bought.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/commodore_mark1?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754
https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/splat79?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

My opinion: don’t bother with the C64 PSU. I may be a bit biased, since I helped write the tutorial on building a single-supply MB6582 power section (see “option e” on the main MB-6582 page) but I don’t think it’s a great option.

17 hours ago, the_duckchild said:

I've been salivating over the Seq V4 too.....

As you should. It's luvverly... a lot to learn for a dimwit like me, but it's fun to keep uncovering "oh - I can do that?!" functions. It's a fun build, too. Good mix of great design, challenging and satisfying.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 4:01 AM, SimonSays said:

What's your preferred option @jaytee? Two PSUs, accepting the 7805 getting hot and/or avoid backlit display?

Or "the other way"?

I'm not fussed about two PSUs to be honest - I've got about 20,000 of them stored or in use at any given time, so one more won't break the model!

Here’s the solution Altitude came up with, I wrote the tutorial: http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=wilba_mb_6582_psuopte

The thing with C64 power supplies is that they have a reputation for failing, and failing in such a way that they take out SID chips with them. There’s also nothing about them that makes them particularly well-suited for a MIDIbox SID... They output two different voltages, which is marginally convenient, but the AC rail has to be rectified and smoothed anyway, so it’s really just better to go with a DC supply to begin with.

The gist behind the “option e” power supply is that you’re generating your 5V rail using a switching regulator, which is a lot more efficient than a 7805 (way less heat). This lets you use a single DC supply to power the whole thing. It does require some small wiring changes to the PCB but nothing drastic or permanent (no trace cuts).

The only other thing to keep in mind is the actual power connector. The Mb-6582 main board has pads for both a 7-pin DIN jack (what the C64 power supply uses) or a pin header to connect to a jack of your choice. I was originally going to use the pin header connection and wire up a standard 2.1mm jack, but as I was building, I found that the header pads are located so close to the rear panel that they interfered with the jack I was going to install (luckily realized this before ordering custom panels!). In the end, I got a 7-pin DIN jack (salvaged from a busted C64 PCB that someone gave me for the power switch) and just changed out the plug on the end of my wall-wart.

Super-cool - thanks, @jaytee

Option e PSU it is for me! I think I've got the knowledge I need to order the BOM now... the PCBs arrived super-quick (and with no VAT/handling charges) from Modular Addict. I haven't had the panel yet and the swinSIDs are still on back-order. I'll probably get a 8580 or two from flea-bay in time for the main build completion.

I can supply whatever power is needed during build and testing with a bench supply so that won't be a problem.

It looks like the build is secured between the PCBs and the panel, so I'm hoping to live with that (and standoffs) until I can figure a case out - I don't particularly like that PT-10 box (although it's obviously good from a convenience POV). I'm just looking at my Mackie 1202 mixer thinking that (or a similarly sized unit) might be version-able... or a transparent acrylic number...

• 3 weeks later...

@SimonSays Please keep us updated since I also ordered the PCBs from modular addict awhile back. I'm hopefully finishing up my seq v4+ build soon and will tackle a 6582 build soon after.  Got a small bonus at work and splurged on a slew of 8580 chips from meeblip a few months ago in preparation, also. I guess they are sold out now.  

Have you turned up any ideas for the display? The hot thing is OLEDs now and some people get them to work it appears, though I haven't found a real guide.