STP16 as alternative to HC595?

FantomXR

Hey people,

a friend of mine just told me about the STP16CPC. It looks great. It can be accessed via SPI, it has 16 outputs and a current-setting. So if one would like to build LED-Rings this looks like a great solution with very less parts-count. You wouldn't need any current-limiting resistors in front of the LEDs and only one IC to drive 16 LEDs.
So, does anyone used this IC before and does it work in a classic DIO-chain without changes on the code?

I took a look into the datasheet but I'm not sure. The STP has a LE-input which the HC595 doesn't have. But it might work if one connect the chipselect (RC) which is normally connected to RCLK on the HC595 to the LE of the STP. 

Thanks,
Chris

1 minute ago, Antichambre said:

Hot air station is enough.

If you say it I trust you :cheers:

Best

Zam

ps: "extended side question" is it possible to solder QFN with hot air ?

my deeper skill is SOIC with larger tip as possible (true !! it work better)

Of course there are tons of other ICs, that are very usable but are not supported by MIDIbox though a dedicated driver is needed.

I thought that the STP may can be used with very little changes in the firmware but giving a great benefit. TLC5958 is a complete other story I think.