MidiBox SID Sound design tips

oliq

What are your tips and techniques for programming sounds? I've been messing around with the synth for a while and using it for some nice sounds, but I don't feel I've mastered the unusual architecture of this synth yet, despite some very nice happy accidents. This morning I started to get my head around wavetables, and while they seem powerful I'm still not sure how to make the best use of them. Alongside the presets thread I thought it might be good to start a thread sharing tips...

MBSID has an absolutely wonderful randomizer function that can be limited to a subsection of all parameters (as opposed to all-or-nothing randomizing everything, like in certain commercially available synthesizers ;-). I strongly recommend you play around with that and then adjust the resulting sounds according to your taste. You get much better and more interesting results this way than if you started from scratch every time, because at least for myself I've noticed that the "patch from scratch" approach too often leads into dialing in the same old stuff.

See 'Randomizer Generator Menu' on this page (bottom of page).

The randomizer thing is good advice thanks!
(I kinda feel the same tbh Oliq - I can make "normal" synth patches with it pretty well, but I am pretty sure there's some special sauce in there that it might take a lot of exploring to fully expose.)
I keep meaning to play with using wavetables to switch waveform really quickly as that's the classic "make more sounds" C64 trick right?

want to get my head around using Sample & Hold in the Mod matrix too, as that seems like it opens some pretty mad possibilities.

Edited by the_duckchild