Sammich UK PSU

Flexinoodle

Here is a discussion with a similar question:

so, from that thread, this here:

http://www.buythis.co.uk/product/4927/genie-psu500-in-line-12v-dc-500ma-regulated-linear-power-supply

might still work?

You are probably fine with a high quality modern switching PSU as well, as long as the switching frequency is well above the audible range, especially as the SIDs are a bit noisy by themselves :). 

Best regards,
Peter

On 03/12/2019 at 4:47 AM, Flexinoodle said:

Its pretty dead on this forum nowadays uh :(

Hey flex, nice to see you back around again, long time!!!   yep I am finding it kinda wierd, its far too quiet and theres no-one in chat anymore.  I know we have all aged slightly and have families and work etc.. but damn.. my local morgue has more movement than this place these days lol!!!

Edited by ssp

If the PSU is heavy, then it has a wound transformer in it, so it is a linear PSU. If it is light, then it is switching as the components are much smaller (also sometimes containing a small transformer). Very few of linear ones are also regulated, but they do exist. You should measure something near the rated voltage with a multimeter. Better to load it with a 1k THT resistor. If the voltage is wildly different then it is not regulated.

The current capacity of a switching PSU is much higher than for a linear PSU of the same size. Anything over a few hundred mA will be a switching PSU.

It is the same in much of Europe, I think because transformers draw some current even when the secondary is unloaded. The only way to kill the power is to switch off the mains (which I always do) or to unplug the wallwart. So it is seen as a power-saving scheme.

Try rummaging through a second hand store or fleamarket for an old one. Alternatively you can still buy transformers and build your own, but need to be experienced with mains voltage and case it safely.

https://www.reichelt.de/Transformers-toroid/2/index.html?ACTION=2&LA=2&GROUPID=8880

On 4/12/2019 at 8:00 PM, Flexinoodle said:

IRC is dead, thats why the chat is dead, Im gonna set up a discord in a bit, it is sad to see this place like this.

Hey flexi! Great to see you back. A discord server for MIDIbox is a great idea!

Has so much more features than IRC, now why didn't I think of that!