PCB Daughterboard for 20x4 Char LCD

dwestbury

Has anyone attempted to design a custom PCB daughterboard that could attach to the 20x4 character LCD on the MB6582 and avoid having to solder the IDC cable directly to the display? 
I've never done such a thing (I'm a complete newbie to DIY electronics), but I was playing around on EasyEDA and came up this design, which could (theoretically) allow you to connect an unmodified cable.

Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 10.26.28 PM.png

Hope it works out!

I can't say anything about whether the connections are correct, but here are some thoughts on the layout.

2020-01-13.thumb.jpg.fabb6062bdf179fcfe0

Watch the clearance. It should ideally be as large as possible; often I work with ~0.4mm trace width and 0.5mm spacing (1mm trace-to-trace). Take particular care around unmasked copper such as through-hole pads (e.g. on the 2x8)

Circled upper-left: the corner can be avoided by routing from the left/bottom left of the pad.

Circles right: angles a bit messed. Neatest is to use 45° angles for everything.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: the mini-PCBs have arrived from OSHPark. Took about 1.5 weeks end-to-end, including int’l shipping to the US, so not bad. Hope to have time to solder and test tonight. 

The mInimum order was 3 pieces, but I should only need 1. Happy to send extras to anyone interested, at no cost for the PCB - just cover the postage. 

BAC590FA-9220-417E-8D4C-9DEB5763F90D.jpeg