MB-6582 panel check

listen202

I have confirmed that the matrix labeling is correct with another user. I might change a few things on the rear panel, not sure how much space I have to work in my ideas may design a separate break out box. Would like to have more I/O for the filter Input and a active mixer for all the channels. Maybe get buffers for the in and out? The feedback hack is cool so would like to keep it.

Here is the final panel that I am going to go with. I will post up the DXF and a gurber version when I make sure it all fits.

Screenshot_2.png

• Like 2

Yeah at some point I would like to offer front-panels for parts/PCBs, not so keen on making it into a biz.

Its actually kinda hard work and not something that I enjoy too much. Maybe when this whole covid-19 thing blows over I will give it a think on the best way to make it happen. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, listen202 said:

Yeah at some point I would like to offer front-panels for parts/PCBs, not so keen on making it into a biz.

Its actually kinda hard work and not something that I enjoy too much. Maybe when this whole covid-19 thing blows over I will give it a think on the best way to make it happen. 

Totally understood regarding the hard work... I really like what you've done though and I'd love to buy this panel set from you...

PM me if we can make that work.

Cheers,

-Darrell

Edited by dwestbury

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/14/2020 at 8:24 PM, dwestbury said:

Thanks for sharing. I don’t have a CNC, so I might convert this to FPD format to get it made by Front Panel Express.

Cheers!

-Darrell

Did you ever get this all the way to FPD?  I'm all thumbs with CAD tinkering, so if you did, and could share it, you'd be my hero.  :)  Thanks.

I had a drive crash and lost the Kicad project, but I still have the slightly modified DXF file that I worked on, which was derived from Listen202's version.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtmSvwylfFJagkpl5QlWo9tIUbJ0?e=mamgPG

Working with DXF's in KiCAD requires several steps:

1) In the KICAD PCB tool, you'll import Listen202's DXF file into the Edge.cuts layer

2) make sure to size it properly, (approx. 232.3mm x 163.2mm)

3) Delete all of the graphics from this layer, but keep all of the holes and cutouts, since this will act as the drills layer

4) Import Listen202's DXF file again, but this time into the F.SilkS layer (this is the layer for the graphics silkscreen / inlay)

5) Now you'll do the opposite of what you did in step 3 and delete all of the holes and cutouts from the F.SilkS layer, but keep the graphics

6) Next, you need to create the front and back Copper layers (F.Cu and B.Cu), which are basically just rectangles in the correct panel size (again, approx. 232.3mm x 163.2mm)

That's really it for the editing, so now you have a choice for how you want to have the panel produced.

You can export the individual layers from KiCAD and import them into Front Panel Designer if you want them manufacture your panel.

Or, you could use KiCAD to export standard Gerber files that you can use to have the panel produced as if it were a PCB. This works really well because a standard PCB is 1.6mm thick, with rigid copper on the top and bottom for strength, whereas the PacTec-10 aluminum panel is 1.5mm, so only a very small difference. JLCPCB will produce ~5 of these panels for you for about $30 USD, whereas Front Panel Express will charge $250 for the aluminum cuts, drills and inlays... 

When time permits, I'll eventually get around to recreating the KiCAD project and I'll share it here.

Edited by dwestbury
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi dwestbury and listen202

Thanks a million for sharing this! Looks like I can finally finish my build which was stalling so far since I could not figure out how to get Fusion360 to create a proper Toolpath for the Graphics with a cheap 3018 CNC machine. I have only done simple pcb's so far with FlatCAM.

I tried to follow your instructions and created a Kicad project. I did not know how to size properly so I went with Listen202's version which seems to be correctly sized. If I measure in Kicad it is (232,41 mm x 163,27 mm). I also had problems with the copper rectangles, as Kicad always complained that they should not overlap, but I hope I got it right. In Kicad itself the Silkscreen vanishes behind the copper, but if I check in GerberView it seems to be correct. If you could take a look at this project and verify that it is really ok that would be marvelous.

Cheers

60/40

mb6582.zip

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 8:11 AM, 6040 said:

If you could take a look at this project and verify that it is really ok that would be marvelous.

Hello @6040 ... The measurements on your panel design look correct when I use the caliper in KiCAD's PCB tool, so you should be good to go.

You may also want to connect with @Manu29 since he's gone ahead and produced a panel set based on this design already.

IMG_0472.thumb.jpeg.acc6d5e62e770c1fc63bfffef672df70.jpeg

IMG_0473.thumb.jpeg.d1a646cbe72a0a24b9fb645c1b776f98.jpeg

IMG_0475.thumb.jpeg.8e89ca3d3928a4f4bd3e2cb54a0e0191.jpeg

Edited by dwestbury

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi guys, I tried using Kicad to export it to gerber file but I think I did something wrong. Once uploaded on JLCPCB, I was unable to see the preview and PCB has no dimensions. :C

Can someone post gerber files for the front panel and back panel (if possible)? 

I would really appreciate.

Olivier