[SOLVED] SID 4 not available can bus errors

dwestbury

I was seeing an error on startup which read "SID 4 not available (CAN bus errors)", along with a flashing top row of LEDs and flashing left column.

5e828e64ed321_IMG_1174copy.png.e3ff19490 

I searched the forum and found this thread, which gave me some direction:

http://midibox.org/forums/topic/13270-sidx-not-available-can-bus-errors-after-wiring-mb-6582-cs/#comment-119958

Specifically this comment from Wilba:

On 10/11/2009 at 8:39 AM, Wilba said:

Just out of interest, try detaching the LCD from the CS PCB, keep it plugged in, just not mounted and away from any PCB.

A short between the LCD and the CS might be the cause. Maybe. Probably not, but quite a few people forget to insulate between LCD and CS PCB.

So, I disconnected my LCD from the control surface and the flashing LED issue went away, so I must have been shorting the tactile switches behind the control surface.

However, I'm still getting the same error whenever I try to access any SID module other than SID1...

For reference, I can confirm that all of the D1_COREX diodes are in place, as well as R80. I've reflowed them to be sure the solder joints are good, but still no luck...

IMG_1029.thumb.jpeg.db2c2f03edb9fd58160d

Perhaps I should replace the diode under Core1?  Other suggestions?

Appreciate any insights.

Edited by dwestbury

[PROBLEM SOLVED]

Quite embarrassed to admit that the issue was not related to the electronics at all, but rather the false assumptions I made while trying to figure out how to setup the firmware on my PIC Core modules.

I thought that changing the PIC device ID (applying device_id_0X.hex through MIOS) was the last step in the firmware deployment process, but I still needed to add the setup _mb6582 hex, after the device ID change.

It's interesting to note how the device responds with CAN Bus Error when it the firmware is incomplete. 

Now I'm happy to say that all core modules are working perfectly... wheew... Yet another lesson learned...

Finally off to *jam* with this thing!

Edited by dwestbury

• dwestbury changed the title to [SOLVED] SID 4 not available can bus errors