Fractal Floater

Hawkeye

Thanks a lot, Mike! :)

Yes, back then, five years ago, it was flying with a fellow human wingman, it was the ultimate freedom. We had video goggles and spotters that watched the airspace for safety.
Due to changed drone laws (and i fully agree with them), it is impossible to do now. So there was a small window of opportunity to do it as shown, and that window has closed now, maybe that was one of the last of my wing clips in the Alps :).

Have a good sunday, enjoy the nice weather in the garden and be careful with that machete! :)

Many greets,
Peter

Nice to hear from you Hawkeye! Really love that tune! I also feel your pain about the flying rules. I sold my quadcopter gear and got into film photography fairly big. Kept doing music, though more-so in a band with a different sound. Been getting back into as of late. Nice to see you are too!

Glorious tune!

Good song and beautiful pictures...

Drones caused a lot of security issues some years ago. I can understand that rule too. Seven years ago here in my area a drone hindered rescue by helicopter from doing their job properly endangering the boat crew stranded on the coast.

But some have authorisation, those ones are friend of mines, from school. They are lucky people cause it's now their job ;)
https://www.pixnfly.com/en/

Thanks a lot for your nice words, @m00dawg and @Antichambre!

Regarding drone flying - it's absolutely true regarding the security issues - the problem was not when it was a completely new thing - people built their drones and wrote or modified their software (we had return-to-home systems, that engaged in case of video or control link loss). We also had spotters checking the surrounding airspace for obstacles like helicopters and we were able to fly back the bigger wings using line-of-sight standard RC flying. Those "pioneer" people were usually knowledgeable and very risk aversive - the problem began, when this technology was pushed to the mainstream. Then everyone and their grandma went drone flying everywhere (not in deserted mountains, but also in cities, near airports and so on) and that lead to massive problems and the necessity for these laws. While i was an enthusiast back then, i had my fair share of copters (never wings) falling out of the skies, so yes, it is a risk problem flying over people, a motor speed controller can fail at any time... Also, the public perception of drones has massively changed - when i made my first copter flights with a firmware that used hacked "nintendo wii accellerometers" many years back, people were fascinated and asked what was going on. At the end of the era, most people were not amused anymore, probably as too many people were flying. Doing it commercially now can probably be a stressful job. But, i still miss the ultimate freedom of wing surfing the mountains from time to time, thus the nostalgic tune :).

Have a good new week start and many greets!
Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Nice song and video! Typical that regulation kicks in as soon as something becomes mors mainstream. The free and exploring time is usually more fun, but safety has its own place. Hopefully it’s back to soldering this autumn, I need to service my synths and catch up on the backlog :cheers: