Amazona.de-Review

mfk

When I look at the amount of smd-components, that's what scares people.... ;-)
Are the old PCBs actually still available?
I like the new design, even if I think a few more buttons would be more practical.
But even with my hobby skills, I don't dare to take on the new project.
I should just do it ...

@mfk really, no need to be afraid of it - you can easily do the large scale 1206 SMT soldering!

In fact, the solder pads for resistors and caps to me seem to be bigger than those for the classic THT components. And there's no need to turn around the PCB all the time and to cut pins. As a bonus, you can store a whole assortment of SMT resistors and caps in really small boxes and don't need much storage space for them - also, with the drag soldering method (shown e.g. in the LoopA video tutorial), installing ICs is really very simple and super quick.

We've even had a few requests of builders recommending us to get rid of the THT resistors in future PCB revisions, as cutting their legs was slowing down their assembly! :) It probably won't happen, as Andy often uses them as "bridges" over traces, i.e. the classic resistors then offer another layer to the PCB which simplifies routing.

Have a good day and many greets!
Peter

6 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

@mfk We've even had a few requests of builders recommending us to get rid of the THT resistors in future PCB revisions, as cutting their legs was slowing down their assembly! :)

can underline this... a big SMD make less work then THT (when thinking on the BLM 4148 leg bending actions...)

• Like 1