Midi box sid v2 maker resquest

anonyme-x22

On 7/7/2020 at 5:43 AM, anonyme-x22 said:

...No timeline.

Preference ?

The first question is, which MIDIBox v2 variant do you want to have built?

A sammichSID will support 2 x SID chips (either 6581 or 8580). Kits are still available on eBay for ~$228 USD, plus ~$28 shipping costs from Hong Kong to USA. The kit typically includes 1 or 2 SwinSIDS, which can be swapped for real SIDs

> In my experience the total DIY build time for this is about ~6-7 hours  (so would need to negotiate a labor fee)

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=sammichSID

IMG_0765.thumb.jpg.77c8b453f7e61545b8c57

SammichSID.thumb.jpg.808c721ef01d86d0fac795a931c71b7b.jpg

MB-6582 will support up to 8 x SID chips (in pairs of two 6581's or 8580's). It also includes a more full featured control surface and a routing matrix. There are no complete kits that I'm aware of, so parts need to be ordered separately from suppliers like Mouser, DigiKey, etc.

> The parts to build a complete synth will run between $600-700 USD without SIDs.. The average cost for SIDs on eBay is around ~$80 USD, so that can add up to ~$640 for sound chips. You can chose alternatives, like SwinSID nano (avg $20 ea.), ARMSID (avg $32 ea.) or FPGASID (avg $45 ea.).

> In my experience the total DIY build time is about ~20 hours (so would need to negotiate a labor fee)

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/wilba_mb_6582

Unknown.thumb.jpeg.5e3ec12c14ff64e77b9a7ce90e45725b.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg.214030fad15eb238c4fa6222d86b09be.jpeg

Both of these models support the same sound patch libraries, so it's really just a matter of how many active sound engines you want to have available.

Edited by dwestbury

Hi,

Don't found any kit for the mb6582 only some parts on the web, but it's to expensive and to far from the original.

Found thanks to the ..... the sammichSID link, and as i'm crazy, i bought one, afraid of finding no-more ones, but i hope it won't stop because long live to real sid (6581 & 8580) the best synthesizer included in a computer/console for it's time.

It's seems that with this diy i will be able to come back in the 80's demo scene time with by time replacing the digital copy by a 6581 & a 8580.

Hope someone will spend time in manufacturing these two gems again! Digital is just a mathematical approach of a real thing, and never in any analogue domain, will be the digital able to reproduce the real thing. (As my favourite studio director says, digital is pixel, no matter how many pixels you have, there will always be space between them. ! completion by me! it is just good as control/tracking purposes on analogue (semi/analogue) machines)

Anyway, those digital copy comes in handy to make/test the device and wait that my wife stop hitting me to buy the real sound chips.

Question:

Do anyone have a link for a supply useable on the sammichSID, which permit me to use the 6581 & 8580 (and the swinsid) ?

Also, is it possible to switch off the leds on the top of the control surface ?

Thanks in advance,

Have a good day,

Rgds,

Edited by anonyme-x22
  • Like 1

Question:

Do anyone have a link for a supply useable on the sammichSID, which permit me to use the 6581 & 8580 (and the swinsid) ?

Also, is it possible to switch off the leds on the top of the control surface ?

The sammichSID build guide has an option to include jumpers that will let you change the voltage to your SID, so you can swap them safely. The kit from eBay should come with machine pins that you can solder into the filter capacitor spots. This will let you swap capacitors when you change SIDs.

As far as the control surface LEDs go, there’s no built-in physical switch to disable them, but you could make your own kill switch. Another option could be customIzed firmware to disable on-demand, using the menu. Perhaps someone in these forums could help with that? 

Good luck with the build!

Hi,

Yes it seems that the sammich kit comes with an ac/dc 12V adapter which permit the use of all type of sid and the swansid and the motherboard has a jumper to select the sid type so i assume that it also select the right voltage.

As it wasn't shown in the kit detail, i have asked the question here in case of need to buy power supply separately but it furnished in the kit  (110v/220v ac/dv 12V)

Yes, if someone could add the option in the logical configuration, it would be great, and i won't have to modify physically the device. For the moment i plan to put a dark tape on them. As it told in the kit, these light are for blink purposes, i don't like to much leds, and don't need blink option, only a elektron like device (A twin elektron like device in this case)!

Thanks, the kit is arrived, need to buy soldering iron...

Question:

6581 is the most used chips, but sound not as the developer wanted,

8580 is the chips which satisfy the developer but it came too late and special tunes, specially the sampled ones, sound weird. (alternatively some 8580 tunes sound weird on the 6581 but there are no so common)

Elektron is equipped with a 6581.

2*6581 - 2*8580 - 6581 + 8580. (Of course two sammichSID is the solution but, cannnot use this option)

What would you use A, B or C ? (it seems that the 6581 + 8580 was widely used in the demo scene)

Have a good day,

Rgds,

Ps: For the future buyers, the kit comes from hong-kong, taxes are requested in some country putting the device at a little higher price, and the add don't mention it clearly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Your right, but i plan to use it like an electron (multi mode) so i should have 6 separate channel and use the 8580 for more clean sound and the 6551 for more dirty sounds and the playback of asid, normally if correctly assigned, they shouldn't play an unappropriated sound on the them, only if i told them to do so!

In the other mode, if i cannot reduce the polyphony to only one or the other chip, i will of course have unbalanced sound.

Rgds,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm close to finnish the sammichSID.

Regarding the original chip, it cannot mix several one so will go with two 6581.

Meanwhie i got two swinsid nano.

I know there is two jumper one for setting the filter type, and the other for the output voltage.

I suppose the output voltage setting isn't needed for the sammichSID ?

On the sammichSID i can select the chip type. Does i have to select the same type as on the swinsid ?

Does i need to put the capacitor with the swinsid ?

Thanks in advance,

Have a good day,

Rgds,

Hi,

Can you confirm:

Sammich motherboard chip type  8580 (JP set to 8580 JBP without shunt) + 4*Capacitor 22nf (8580) + swinsid (J1 not shunt) J2? ?

Sammich motherboard chip type  6581 (JP set to 6581 JBP shunt) + 4*Capacitor 470pf (6581) + swinsid (J1 shunt) J2? ?

It's absolutely not clear for me because the swinsid works in 5VDc, but the sammich send 9v (8580) or 12v regulated (6581), never 5v.

Iif voltage doesn't concern, i could set the sammich in 8580 voltage (less power and easier jumper setting), put the good capacitor regarding the chip filter, and just set the swinsid in the good chip mode regarding the capacitor set ?

I'm not sure if the JP do just a voltage selection or also configure correctly the pic (6581/8580) ?

Thanks in advance,

Have a good day,

Rgds,

Edited by anonyme-x22

Hi,

I'm facing another big issue. The swinsid whose comes with the kit aren't programmed. The kit to program them cost more than a sid chip.

Can i use only one real 6581 chip on the sammichSID ?

Also to test the device, can i power all the unit without any sid chip and capacitor, only the pic and all other CI ?

Thanks in advance,

Have a good day,

Rgds,

Edited by anonyme-x22

Hi,

The sammichSID is working now.

Setting confirmed:  Sammich motherboard chip type  8580 (JP set to 8580 JBP without shunt) + 4*Capacitor 22nf (8580) + swinsid (J1 not shunt,  J2 shunt)

Is it normal that the output is very high ?

Also when changing the volume on the VST, it doesn't seem to work, it's like a mute ?

Thanks in advance,

Rgds,

• Like 1

• 1 month later...