Midification of a ordinary dj mixer

Tron77

Hi all,

I have the idea of using a ordinary 3 channel dj mixer as a simple controller for Traktror (or similar Dj tool). The concept I have is that I only would like to use the (Cross)fader(s), tone controls, gain, pan, channel Pfl on/of and Master. (Roughly 16 or so knobs/sliders/pots in total), bring all the wiring out of the mixer with, for example a Sub D 25 and have a small box connect to it, which include a AIN and Core module, which in turn goes to a midi interface (or directly to computer by means of USB, depending on the Core)

My question is if this could be realized, or will I change the internal circuitry of the mixer in some way by connecting the extra wiring to the pots/sliders/buttons of the mixer?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts by any member.

Cheers! Tron

@Tron77 - it might work if you're willing to sacrifice the old mixer function and would not like to run audio data through it in parallel :). Then you could separate every analog pot or fader/slider from its old PCB (i.e. cut the traces with a dremel -> this will actually destroy the old mixer function) and run wires to the DB25 connector as suggested. You're then reducing the unit just to its pots and sliders, that are externally accessible.

There's one big "but": for audio applications (most likely in a mixer), there are often log/audio tapers/pots in use - but in a MIDIbox AIN environment, i think you would prefer linear pots for best resolution.

Best regards and have fun!
Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply! I would have thought/hoped I could just "tap in/out" from the faders/pots, so it could still run Audio Parallel and still use it to spin vinyl records. But I guess my thoughts were a bit too simplistic:D Bummer though. I also didn't think about the Log scale in the pots/faders. Well in that case I better make/buy a small dedicated midi controller.

Again, Thank you very much for your point of view!

Regards,

Youri

Statistically you've got a very small percentage of chance that the mixer's pcbs are separated with Controls only pcb.
Exception to the cross-fader which is more often separated to be easily replaced, and usually controls some VCA. All others mechanical controls are generally directly soldered on the active analog board.
Like Peter said you will have to sacrifice some of the audio mixer functions for sure, but can be done without definitively destroy the traces and pcbs.
With access to the service manual, it's possible to remove the parts(resistors, caps, ICs, etc...) connected to each mechanical controls(pots, faders, buttons) and indicators(Leds, VU, etc..).
Next is to find the good candidate...
Something like that for me https://www.thomann.de/fr/behringer_dx_626.htm?ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiZnIiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6IjIiLCJsYW5ndWFnZSI6ImZyIn0%3D
Very cheap one, 99 € , service manual

7943085_800.jpg

Then:

- Separate the controls you need by removing connected parts and use AIN/DIN.
- By removing IC13 you can take control to Leds, VU, digits, using a DOUT and the existing flip-flops which will hold the matriced datas.
- You can disable or bypass the useless analog stages using wire and audio coupling caps pads, then keep a minimal audio functions and controls for monitoring/cue outputs.
- With a AOUT or some CV Inputs, you can reuse the 4 internals VCA, 4 inputs + main/booth stages, then get 4 controlled/trimmed channels with mixed/trimmed outputs options.
- You can reuse the internal 5v and embed the MIDIbox platforms and modules. Add USB/MIDI connectors on a separated back plate with 2 screws, that can hide a potential ugly cutout too.

First to do is to print the schematics, get coloured pens and hack this behringer stuff on paper ;)

Best regards
Bruno

Edited by Antichambre