Any Youtubers here? Look for a talking and demonstrating step-by-step tutorial

Made In Machines

I'm interested in the a Seq v4+ but i'm not exactly sure how both it's basic functions and advanced functions. When i'm looking to buy a sequencer I tend to watch a lot of videos and tutorials to work out easy and intuitive it is to use and how easily it would fit into my workflow and work for live performance

I was looking on Youtube for a basic or in depth guide showing a talking guided step-by-step walkthrough of how it works and how it's various functions are implemented.

Would it be possible for anyone here to make a detailed walk through explaining and showing step-by-step all or most of the units functions?

I've seen them for most sequencers by Sequentix, Polyend, Mode Machines, Five12, Novation, Arturia, Nerdseq, Akai etc but there seems to be nothing much on the midibox seq v4+ which is a shame as it seems like it might be awesome.

I've looked at the manual but the V4+ has an entirely new interface which makes it even more of a challenge to work out how you do various things and what certain buttons are used for. 

Thanks, Pete

Edited by Made In Machines

@Made In Machines thanks for your interest in the demos - for now, we can highly recommend Andrew Scheidlers great tutorials on the V4 - these are very extensive:

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_manual_tut.html

The v4+ "only" differs in usage by having a secondary selection row - its mode is chosen with the circular arranged buttons around the jog wheel. So you could e.g. be in the SEQ v4+ transpose screen, while the secondary selection button row would be set to "mute" - so you can mute and transpose without changing screens.

Of course, new tutorials would be great - but they will take time in making - i think @Menzman is preparing something here in his new video studio! :)

Best regards!
Peter

Thanks for pointing me to those, yes Andrews videos are the kind of thing I was looking for but hopefully for the new version. I'll watch them all and try and figure out how it corresponds to the new interface. 

The second selection row you talked about was a big part of what was confusing me.

After watching the first tutorial video I'm struggling to work out where the following buttons are now on the V4+ - Mix Event Mode DIR Divider Length Trans Groove

I might have figured it out but i'm not sure - looking at the top row on the screen it shows various parameters G1T1  Out1  Chnl.1   PANote   TA:Gate   Step14   C3   Vel:100   Len:75%   No Cat

If I was to press the button on the secondary selection row  that is directly below one of these on screen labels does that mean the encoders now switch to controlling that. So if I press the button under Length:75% on the secondary row i'm now controlling all the lengths per step - then I press the button on the secondary row and i'm controlling all of the gates per step etc.

I'm not really sure what the idea behind dividing tracks into 4 groups to make 4x4  and what effect this has on usage. 

Thanks,

Pete

@Made In Machines no problem, we surely want to do a new tutorial, but it's just a lot of work and Andrew set quite a milestone there, to cover all of this will require a lot of filming :).

Regarding your questions:

"Mix Event Mode Dir Divider..." are available when the Menu button is pressed and then accessible via the upper Matias row of "General Purpose Keys".

The upper info of "G1T1  Out1  Chnl.1   PANote   TA:Gate   Step14   C3   Vel:100   Len:75%   No Cat " is not really associated with the second Matias key row - it's just a general status info - where you are at and which note you are looking at. Of course, you could use the second key row to navigate, e.g. choose a different track. Then the top info "G1T1" would change.

The secondary row generally is just an "on/off switcher". For example: if your radial second-row-selector button is set to "Track", you can use the second row of keys to simply choose one or multiple active tracks. This only needs a single keypress per track selection - in the previous SEQ v4 you had to select via group and track-within-the-group first (G1T1 -> two key press actions required).

Another example: if the secondary Matias key row is e.g. in Mute mode, you can mute/unmute any track, independent from the "main SEQ screen" you are in. E.g. you could be in an edit screen where you can set the length (always with the OLED and the upper Matias row) and still have the mute/unmute functions available on the secondary selection row.

So, the OLEDs are always associated with the upper encoders and the upper row of Matias switches - most of the SEQ (e.g note editing, track configuration like length etc) can be controlled from there.

The track grouping of 4x4 comes from earlier on, MBSEQ has been available for many years! :) It's also grouped like this by design - a group of 4 tracks is called a "pattern" and you can switch through/exchange patterns and thus replace multiple melody/drum output tracks at once, e.g. if you're performing a live session and want to alter sequences, more than one.

If you have any other usability questions or would like to see screenshots of the SEQv4+ for a certain usecase/question, please do tell, it's not a problem!

Best regards,
Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks very much for explaining it and helping me understand it better. I might still look to get one in the future but my number came up on the waiting list so I managed to get a Cirklon 2.0 and that's taking up my sequencing time at the moment. Its my first hardware sequencer and I really like it. I bet I'd like the SEQ v4 too.

Edited by Made In Machines